Poll: Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle

Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle

• Yes

Votes: 48 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 112 70.0%

• Total voters

shortstop

I just wanted to share this image from the Mice Chat update yesterday, Sep 11th. This is highlighting queue changes over at Matterhorn, but in the background, you can barely see... something. Typically when we see photos of the two structures together, Sleeping Beauty Castle is in the foreground and benefitting from parallax/scale. In this instance, the matterhorn dwarfs it more than I could have ever imagined, in a 6:1 scale it seems. So the scale relationship between these structures becomes irellevant when guest perspective is considered. More simply, this castle is barely visible even from within Fantasyland. Having a more prominent castle would actually create additional show and theming and atmosphere in this corner of the park simply by being visible, in an area otherwise dominated by landscaping and a cottage cheese mountain. And, again, if the castle peak stretched halfway across the sky in this photograph, matching those pine trees on the matterhorn, tomorrowland and fantasyland (when expanded/modified in the coming decade) could incorporate nighttime spectacular viewing locations. Projections could stretch from the south facade on main street to the east and the north as well.

View attachment 312774
Camera angles are always deceiving. Of course the Matterhorn looks large here, it’s at the forefront of the picture.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I used to think the trees in the hub at MK couldn't be touched. The truth was they were constantly being prunned back so as not to obstruct Fantasy in the Sky fireworks show. When Wishes fireworks show debuted the trees were thinned out more to accommodate viewing of the low nearby building launched shots. During Wishes testing they even tried fireworks launched from the castle itself. Now with projection mapping on the castle itself all the hub trees have been cleared to allow a wider angle of viewing and a clear shot all the way back from the other end of Main St. Could the solution be not to build up the castle but to cut back the forrest. At the time I thought loosing the trees and twinkle lights in the trees was a bad idea but what was received in return more than made up for the loss.

A glorified concrete lot with minimal shade, nowhere to sit and cheap fake grass isn’t worth it for a few minutes of cheesy projections. I rather have more fireworks than watching a movie on a wall.

nevol

Original Poster
A glorified concrete lot with minimal shade, nowhere to sit and cheap fake grass isn’t worth it for a few minutes of cheesy projections. I rather have more fireworks than watching a movie on a wall.
Yea. I'd rather have a taller castle paired with big trees for shade rather than no trees and a castle you still can't see. :D

Stevek

Where’d you eat? I’m curious for next time I go. It felt like a real struggle I’d be nice to have a different experience next time.

Disneyland:
Jolly Holiday
Cafe Orleans (Monte Cristo)
Blue Bayou
Carnation Cafe
Plaza Inn
Rancho Del Zocalo is good if you get the right things
I've heard the River Belle Terrace is much improved

DCA:
Carthay Circle
Pacific Wharf Cafe (great sourdough bread bowls and sandwiches)
Wine Country Trattoria
Boardwalk Pizza/Pasta (the sundried tomato and chicken pasta is one of our big go to meals)
I have not eaten at Lamplight but have heard some good things about it.

Your mileage may vary, really all about expectations. We will have burger every once in awhile but tend to steer clear of the standard theme park food i.e. Pizza, Burgers, Chicken strips.

iMax

My first trip to Disneyland was in July and honestly I had no problems at all in either park except for the constant ride breakdowns in Disneyland but of course what do you expect from a 60+ year old park. To me I like Disneyland's castle more than MK's, it's more charming IMO even though it's smaller. Aside from castles, crowds weren't bad, food was great, nighttime entertainment was great, and weather was way better than Florida's summer hell.

Curious Constance

I just wanted to share this image from the Mice Chat update yesterday, Sep 11th. This is highlighting queue changes over at Matterhorn, but in the background, you can barely see... something. Typically when we see photos of the two structures together, Sleeping Beauty Castle is in the foreground and benefitting from parallax/scale. In this instance, the matterhorn dwarfs it more than I could have ever imagined, in a 6:1 scale it seems. So the scale relationship between these structures becomes irellevant when guest perspective is considered. More simply, this castle is barely visible even from within Fantasyland. Having a more prominent castle would actually create additional show and theming and atmosphere in this corner of the park simply by being visible, in an area otherwise dominated by landscaping and a cottage cheese mountain. And, again, if the castle peak stretched halfway across the sky in this photograph, matching those pine trees on the matterhorn, tomorrowland and fantasyland (when expanded/modified in the coming decade) could incorporate nighttime spectacular viewing locations. Projections could stretch from the south facade on main street to the east and the north as well.

View attachment 312774

This reminds me of the size difference comparing the DL and WDW Star Wars Lands.

DL= Matterhorn
WDW=Castle

Now before anyone freaks, remember I'm against Star Wars Land at DL, so I ENVY the itty bitty, TEENY WEENY, WDW Star Wars Land!

Delgado

View attachment 312774
Disney...hire this one. ☝️

spock8113

"Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle Just trying to raise everybody's blood pressure. Happy friday!"

You can't raise my blood pressure, I have kids!
01-31-05castle.jpg

The last time anything was done in this area was 2005.
This is my "Icon" picture but look close in the distance.
On this day it was 37 deg in the morning. People were fighting to sit IN the sun!!!

The castle, corner stone of the Parks, especially France!

nevol

Original Poster
"Disneyland has outgrown Sleeping Beauty Castle Just trying to raise everybody's blood pressure. Happy friday!"

You can't raise my blood pressure, I have kids!View attachment 312920
The last time anything was done in this area was 2005.
This is my "Icon" picture but look close in the distance.
On this day it was 37 deg in the morning. People were fighting to sit IN the sun!!!

The castle, corner stone of the Parks, especially France!
The castle in Paris is hypnotic.

nevol

Original Poster
YOU LEAVE MY BEAUTIFUL AND TIMELESS CASTLE ALONE!!! IT'S NOT SIZE OF THE CASTLE BUT THE TIMELESS CHARM THAT IT BRINGS. THIS CASTLE IS PERFECT FOR DISNEYLAND. YOU COULD BE LOCKED UP IN THE MIDDLE AGES FOR EVEN SUGGESTING CHANGING IT.
That timeless charm is your nostalgia. I bring so many people to Disneyland for their first time who don't like the castle and don't even recognize it from photographs.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

That timeless charm is your nostalgia. I bring so many people to Disneyland for their first time who don't like the castle and don't even recognize it from photographs.
Well then they need their head examined. It is not nostalgia. The castle flat out works for Disneyland. PERIOD. The castle was never meant to be seen from all over the park. I like i can basically only see it from main street, fantasyland, and the upper part of tomorrowland. It would take me out of the immersion of adventureland, frontierland, pirate's island, new orleans square if i saw a giant looming castle. That is part of the charm and art direction of Disneyland. Each land feels like it's own little world. It was stylistically designed this way by true artists and Walt himself. It has a soul unlike that charmless, personalityless corporate monstrosity for a castle in florida. This castle has Walt's touch. That is why Disneyland will always be better than florida as Rolly Crump pointed out. Disneyland has personal characther. That's how Walt did it, That's how california does it and it's worked out pretty great for 60 years so far. -DROPS MIC

mikenatcity1

I'll admit the first time I went to DL, I rounded the corner and said "that's it"? After visiting and doing research, I have a great appreciation for the size, style and look. Yes, it's small, but I think there is a big meaning to the fact this is Walt's castle and the only one in the world where Walt will have personally overseen the construction and design.

And I like the fact I can't see the castle from everywhere in the park...sometimes when you're in another land and see the castle, you get taken out of the feeling of the land.

eddie104

Disney Worlders like big castles. They also like not having as many rides.
Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai and soon Hong Kong all have big castles so I don’t think WDW is alone. But yes DL castle is perfect for its size and may be underwhelming to some however the park wasn’t built like the other parks. Anything bigger and it would look out of place in my personal opinion.

Phroobar

Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai and soon Hong Kong all have big castles so I don’t think WDW is alone. But yes DL castle is perfect for its size and may be underwhelming to some however the park wasn’t built like the other parks. Anything bigger and it would look out of place in my personal opinion.
Tokyo, Florida, Paris, Shanghai and soon Hong Kong = big castle, few rides
Disneyland = small castle, lots of rides

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom