Pointing is not allowed

Maria

Since I was little, my parents taught me that pointing at someone/something is bad manners, so we don´t do it here. When I got to Disney and learned the "Disney pointing" with two fingers and the whole hand, I started pointing at things, and when I do it, I do it their way.

It´s the first thing you will learn and they will make you stand up and practice it when you go to the information session previous to your interview. :animwink:

anim8or98

The Disney Point

I was an RGSM in Disney for 3 years and I still point with two fingers. I also do the "Disney lean" as well. You cast members and former CMs know what I am talking about.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Disney Lean?

In 5 years with Disney I've never heard that expression

anim8or98

Really?

I was taught in Traditions to never lean against a wall, so to take the weight off your feet, you stand a foot away from the wall, put your hands behind your back, and cross your fingers as you lean against a wall. It looks as though you aren't leaning because you are away from the wall, yet you are still taking pressure off of your feet.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
wow... lol. Then again... I think I may have had the worst traditions facilitator ever. I had no idea what the Disney point was until my first day of training in Downtown Disney

Originally posted by JeShr
do all the anamatronics also use the disney point?

If memory serves correct, no.

S.I.R. in The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter pre-show points to the audience when he is talking about sending "one of YOU" to the distant planet where X-S has their operations.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Cuseorng1
you cant hold up two fingers like ur giving the peace sign to brazilians (supposedly). this means F*** u there.

I'd have to read my book again (that I got taking Hospitality Management on the CP), but I think it's the way you hold your hand. Palm facing them or back of your hand.

I can't remember which way it has to face for different groups.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Cuseorng1
you cant hold up two fingers like ur giving the peace sign to brazilians (supposedly). this means F*** u there.

According to Gestures by Roger E. Axtell, published as a revision in 1998:

Virtually all over the world, the Victory or Peace sign is ok. However in England and Austrailia, doing it with the PALM FACING TOWARD THE FACE is considered rude and "Up Yours".

In Brazil, the "OK sign" is considered to be rude and a vulgar gesture, because it refers to a part of the female anatomy.

reefdood

So it would be a no no for a CM to indicate that they are OK with peace using both hands? ;)

Seriously though the policies do make sence since WDW is a international park. I wouldn't want to go to a WDW in another country and have them flip me off or shoot the evil eye at me.:lookaroun

disnyfan89

The fact that it is rude in some countries is part of the reason but it really started because as we all know Walt smoked so when they where building Disneyland Walt would point with the cigarette in his hand putting together his two fingers.

Roey

It's true. I was taught the Disney "gesture" on one of my first few days as a Cast Member. Since then I have always pointed using 2 fingers and all of my friends laugh at me because I can't stop doing it. But it IS less offensive and looks much more dignified. :animwink:

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Roey
It's true. I was taught the Disney "gesture" on one of my first few days as a Cast Member. Since then I have always pointed using 2 fingers and all of my friends laugh at me because I can't stop doing it. But it IS less offensive and looks much more dignified. :animwink:

Ok thread drift. Hi Roey, were from Royal Oak too, small world!!!!! Welcome to the boards.

Did you work at WDW in the past or do you work for TDS?

Roey

Originally posted by DisneyPhD
Ok thread drift. Hi Roey, were from Royal Oak too, small world!!!!! Welcome to the boards.

Did you work at WDW in the past or do you work for TDS?

ABC and TDS. Also planning on moving to Florida soon to work for Disney there.

I'd love to meet you and discuss WDW in more detail. I can talk for hours about it and usually do! :D

JMishy

It's also impolite to show two fingers (as if you were saying two with your palm faced towards you) to a Brit. My husband had to drill that into me. However, old habits die hard and when I met his mother for the first time, she asked me how many sugars I'd like in my tea, I said two holding up my two fingers. The look of shock on her face was enough to remind me of my husband's warnings. I was absolutely mortified that I just made a rude gesture to my future mother in law. :brick: :lol:

I guess the rudeness behind it is that during a war with the French, the French would cut off two fingers of the British archers. So, as in insult, the French would hold up two fingers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom