Point and Shoot

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
We are going to California next week and I have kinda decided I want a P&S for the trip. My DSLR has been on 2 DCL cruises, a day at the Magic Kingdom, explored Mayan ruins, been to the zoo, and to the local Six Flags. I use a BlackRapid strap across my chest and my camera hangs on my right hip. For this trip I just don't want to deal with it swinging and banging stuff when I am helping the kids do something or have to mess with it getting in and out of rides. Tom Bricker is recommending the Sony RX100 and by all reports it is an excellent camera. Just a bit more than I wanted to spend.

My desires.

1) Pocket Carry
2) Decent zoom capability as well as good wide angle. (I carry an 18-200 on my Nikon most of the time)
3) I think I would like a viewfinder over having to depend solely on a screen.

KeithVH

The viewfinder makes it tough.

Sony a6300 (still pricey)
Sony a6000
Panasonic GX85
Panasonic Zs60
Canon G_x series

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
I ended up ordering a Sony DSCHX80. It was cheaper than the DSCHX90 due to no GPS. Decided that was not a necessary feature. It is kinda that poor man's RX100 it seems. :)

P_Radden

@fractal and other camera experts, I'm in a similar situation as OP. We would like to buy a P&S camera with image quality comparable or better than my Samsung Galaxy S7. I had my eye on Canon PowerShot G9 X but not sure if that is the best bang for the buck. Should I be looking at "large sensor compact" cameras? Any advice is much appreciated.

fractal

@fractal and other camera experts, I'm in a similar situation as OP. We would like to buy a P&S camera with image quality comparable or better than my Samsung Galaxy S7. I had my eye on Canon PowerShot G9 X but not sure if that is the best bang for the buck. Should I be looking at "large sensor compact" cameras? Any advice is much appreciated.

I think you would find the image quality better with the G9 X - I also believe it offers "great bang for the buck" but would also look at older model Sony RX100s. The Canon is more compact than the Sony, but sacrifices tilt screen. Image quality is essentially the same as the Sony.

Here's a good review on the G9 X

https://www.cameralabs.com/canon-g9x-review/

If you can get it around $375 I think it's a great deal.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Definitely look at the Sony Rx100. Its very good for its size, a worthy step-up from a top-end phone camera, and extremely portable.

thomas998

Definitely look at the Sony Rx100. Its very good for its size, a worthy step-up from a top-end phone camera, and extremely portable.
One thing to keep in mind with the RX100 is that wimpy zoom it has and the rate at which the f-stop closes down as you zoom. I picked one up for use at concerts but have found that a my much older Olympus XZ-1 works better because when you zoom in with the RX100 your fastest f-stop is 4.9 where as the old Olympus only drops to 2.5 even though it zooms in slightly more. If you are in sunny conditions the RX100 has a much better picture but when the sun goes down and the zoom is needed it isn't that great. If you can stand the added size and still want a point and shoot you might also look at the RX10 which comes in several version but all of which have a better zoom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom