POFQ or POR?

What is your favorite Port Orleans Resort?

• French Quarter

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Riverside

Votes: 23 45.1%

• Total voters

LeighM

I'm liking the responses. Other questions, for either resort, do you have a preference for Garden vs. River View? For POR, do you like Alligator Bayou or Magnolia. I've stayed in Alligator Bayou and liked it.

The rooms at Riverside are currently undergoing refurbishment so I don't know if all of the sections will be the same room theme or different as they are now. Before this, I preferred the rooms in the Magnolia Bend section because it felt more light and airy to me - and I loved the Royal Rooms. Building 85 was my favorite because it was close to the bridge to Old Man Island and the 3rd theme park bus stop. But then I realized that the theme park bus stops was in this order West Depot (Alligator Bayou), North Depot (b/w Alligator Bayou and Magnolia Bend), East Depot (Magnolia Bend), South Depot (lobby). I think they might send a separate MK bus to the South Depot only for busy times of the year and Disney Springs bus stops at South Depot first. But my last trip, I asked for a room in Alligator Bayou close to the West Depot and they assigned me a room in building 34 - and my room was less than 2 minutes from the bus stop. We always had an empty bus when it got to us and we always had a seat. Plus at the end of the day, it is also the first drop off. Even though the section is more rustic than what we like (and my husband got lost trying at night trying to get back to our room), it would be the only place we would stay again. The convenience to the first park bus stop outweighed the distance we were from the lobby. Not sure if you've visited the unofficial Port Orleans website but they are a very good source of information - www.portorleans.org.

As for room view, it doesn't really matter at a moderate. You don't have a balcony. Standard rooms were my favorite when we were driving so we could be closer to the parking lot (and also the bus stops). Standard goes quickly though so my second would be the garden view. Although those normally mean you get slightly more traffic noise. I was upgraded to a pool view and it was fantastic if we were planning on using the quiet pools but we weren't. We didn't hear much noise from the pool when we were there so that was a plus. I'm not sure how well you can see the river from the river view rooms unless you were on the top floor. But we don't spend much time in our rooms except to sleep so it would be wasted on us. If you have a river view room, you could get more noise from the boats when they blow their horns when they approach the dock.

Last edited:

muddyrivers

Which area do you like better: Aligator Bayou or Magnolia Plantation?

Having only stayed at Alligator Bayou once, I typically stay at Magnolia Bend and love it. Like a previous poster said, building 85 is great and I used to love getting the river view rooms where I was close to the bridge to Ol Man Island. It’s very calm and relaxing plus the theming in Magnolia Bend is my favorite of all of the buildings.

Minnesota disney fan

Which area do you like better: Aligator Bayou or Magnolia Plantation?

I'm jumping in to answer this one, as we have stayed at both. We have stayed at POR, our home resort, many times, and FQ only once. We love everything about POR, and only switched because of the dog situation. Now that that is going to be over in October, will give POR another try some time. We always stayed in AB section as we prefer a less formal area. We love the tropical plants, winding paths with little bridges, and just the ambience of the AB. We have never had a problem with buses at POR. We do tend to stay on "off" times, if there are any any more:) POFQ is fine and everything is close, but POR is #1 for us.

JohnD

Original Poster
I'm jumping in to answer this one, as we have stayed at both. We have stayed at POR, our home resort, many times, and FQ only once. We love everything about POR, and only switched because of the dog situation. Now that that is going to be over in October, will give POR another try some time. We always stayed in AB section as we prefer a less formal area. We love the tropical plants, winding paths with little bridges, and just the ambience of the AB. We have never had a problem with buses at POR. We do tend to stay on "off" times, if there are any any more:) POFQ is fine and everything is close, but POR is #1 for us.

Decisions, decisions. Currently I have a garden view room at POFQ in December but if something better comes along at POR, I’ll consider it. I check from time to time by clicking “Change reservation” in MDE.

Much-Pixie-Dust

Voted for POFQ due to size and one bus stop. I like the overall feel of the resort a bit better. Have stayed at both, but only in Magnolia at POR. Loved the boat ride to Disney Springs. If you are traveling with kids, mine says the pool at POR is way more fun because of the slide.

Tinkerbella16

I love both resorts but I give an edge to POR for the royal rooms, the better food court and gift shop (yes I love the gift shop! lol). The grounds are so beautiful and quiet. You cannot go wrong with either one. POFQ is nice for its charm and small size - no matter what building you are in, you are close to everything.

JohnD

Original Poster
I love both resorts but I give an edge to POR for the royal rooms, the better food court and gift shop (yes I love the gift shop! lol). The grounds are so beautiful and quiet. You cannot go wrong with either one. POFQ is nice for its charm and small size - no matter what building you are in, you are close to everything.

Sounds like I should make a point to explore POR even if I end up staying at POFQ. Thanks!

pbrsaau

POFQ is my personal favorite - smaller, quicker to get around, love the theming and the boat ride to DS.

Although my family of 5 loves RS also - pool is better than FQ, same tranquil boat ride to DS. My kids are partial to the Alligator Bayou rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom