Po Riverside Room Questions

LisaStockman

My Husband And I Are Arriving At Por On 28th Sept And Staying For 2 Weeks From The Uk For Our 1st Stay At A Disney Resort.

We Would Like Some Advice Regarding Rooms. We Have Decided That Mansion Terrace Or Oak Manor Would Suit Us Best And Woule Like To Ask If Anyone Has Stayed In Either Of These And If Anyone Could Adviseon The Best Rooms.

Are Ground Rooms Or Higher Floors Better?

Many Thanks

Lisa

Number_6

I'll be interested to read the responses you get too, since I'll be staying there on the 22-29 of this month. I'll let you know what I think when I get back, though.

Upvote 0

sum41914

I just got back from the world, I stayed at Riverside but in the Alligator Bayou building 36 room 3604 if anyone cares lol. But in past adventures when we stayed at the All Stars we relized that the bottom floors are the better ones its more convient(Sp?) to jus walk out the door and BAM your on your way to the parking lot, busses, lobby etc...... when you stay on the 2nd floor you have to find the stairs/ elevator and then BAM your on your way, so more or less its just a convience factor. Also just a quick question if you stay at PO:R Magnolia places is it a farther walk to the food court cause Oh Boy it was a haul to get to the food court only to fill my mug, especially when it was 97 degrees out. I meant to go exploring in the riverside resort but only made it as far as Ole Man Isle pool, and I could see the Magnolia places but never walked over there. (sorry about my rambling on..........Sum)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there!!! You are going to love PO Riverside. This resort has a very laid back easy down home type of feel to it. I prefer the Mansion rooms as well as I feel the grounds there are laid out in a more straight foward manner. The Bayous are laid out in such a way that I always feel like I am walking in circles (Then again that could just be me!!) The entire resort is lovely. I usually request a second floor room so as to avoid any stray bugs that may find thier way to my door. Other than that i dont think that one has any particular positive over the other. The rooms are all laid out in the same fashion within the Mansion section so I dont know if there is a "Best room" per se. Are you in a waterview room or standard view?? The best thing to do would be to ask the CM at check in where your room is in relation to the main building ( Food & Lounge area) bus stops, main pool, and quiet pool and decide what is more important to you!! One of the big draws for me for this resort is Boatwright's. Try the breakfast there on your first morning and prepare to be spoiled. The food is expertly prepared, generous portions and served with good old fashioned Southern Hospitality. You may not want to eat breakfast anywhere else afterwards!!!! Any other questions, post them and I will do my best to respond as I stay there REALLY frequently. This year alone I stayed there in January, again in May, next door at French Quarter in July, and will be staying there in December of this year!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Kadee

I've stayed at POR in Oak Manor and loved it. It was VERY close to the food court. Walk was just a couple of minutes and it was a beautiful walk across a small bridge and along a well landscaped path. The entire resort is gorgeous! You'll love it!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

Kadee is right. We stayed at Oak Manor as well year before last and liked it, although I prefer Alligator Bayou to get away from the Mississippi antebellum mansion theme ( I see it enough locally). :) The breakfasts at Boatwright's are awesome and the dinners are great as well. The food portions are huge and worth the money. Have drinks at River Roost and listen to the live entertainment. Nighttime is a great time to stroll the marina area. It is so peaceful. I cannot compliment the resort enough. I also prefer the first floor because of the convenience of lugging things to and from your room.

Upvote 0

LisaStockman

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
Hi there!!! You are going to love PO Riverside. This resort has a very laid back easy down home type of feel to it. I prefer the Mansion rooms as well as I feel the grounds there are laid out in a more straight foward manner. The Bayous are laid out in such a way that I always feel like I am walking in circles (Then again that could just be me!!) The entire resort is lovely. I usually request a second floor room so as to avoid any stray bugs that may find thier way to my door. Other than that i dont think that one has any particular positive over the other. The rooms are all laid out in the same fashion within the Mansion section so I dont know if there is a "Best room" per se. Are you in a waterview room or standard view?? The best thing to do would be to ask the CM at check in where your room is in relation to the main building ( Food & Lounge area) bus stops, main pool, and quiet pool and decide what is more important to you!! One of the big draws for me for this resort is Boatwright's. Try the breakfast there on your first morning and prepare to be spoiled. The food is expertly prepared, generous portions and served with good old fashioned Southern Hospitality. You may not want to eat breakfast anywhere else afterwards!!!! Any other questions, post them and I will do my best to respond as I stay there REALLY frequently. This year alone I stayed there in January, again in May, next door at French Quarter in July, and will be staying there in December of this year!!!! Belle
Thanks for the information. We can't wait!!!
I have read in various places that I can telephone the hotel 4/5 days before we arrive to check-in and request a particular room. Do you think this will be advisable? I think Oak Manor and Mansion Terrace on the 2nd floor will be the best for us. Is it worth asking for a water view room? Are they worth it?
If I do telephone should I ask for anyone in particular to make my requests? Have you any suggestions?
Many thanks
Lisa

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Actually if you are that open to request one of two Mansion Buildings and your only request is a second floor room, I dont think you would need to call ahead. As I said I think this can best be handled during your check in procedure. What I would advise is get to the resort, put your bags into the Luggage room and then take a nice leisurely walk around the hotel. If you are facing the Luggage room the walkway to the Mansions will be on your right hand side. That bridge will lead you to Parterre Place and Oak Manor I believe. As you walk upriver you will pass by Magnolia Bend and Arcadian House. Scout all of them out and see what appeals to you. Then when you are at check in with the map of the resort in front of you, you will be better prepared to say where you want to stay. If you would like a copy of the map ahead of time, our friend Deb Wills has one on her site ( The main website address is WWW.allearsnet.com) the location for the map is http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/pomap1.jpg
This is a VERY large file so give it a minute or three to load but it should give you a good idea. If you want, print it and take it with you for your self guided tour of Riverside!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

shelty66

Stay in the Bayou section. Request rooms 1810 -1814. Best location in the place. I've stayed in this building 3 times. Been to WDW over 50 times since 1975.

Upvote 0

shari71

During our honeymoon in '96 we stayed in the Mansions. While wonderful, they are a probably a medium length in a walk. Aligator Bayou is where we have been stuck the last few years in the farthest buildings. You wonder around just trying to find you way to the food court or main building. This year we requested Building 14 in AB. Hoping this will cut down on the walking with a 4 year old and a 18 month old, especially when you just want something to drink.

For atmosphere, I highly recommend Magnolia Terrace. We absolutely loved it. AB is interesting the first few times, but lacks the beauty of the mansions.

Hope this helps. We love staying at POR. We tried Grand Floridian last year because we got such a price deal and we came back to POR this year because there was no comparison.

Upvote 0

LisaStockman

Original Poster
Thanks Belle,
I have just looked at the map of the resort on allears.net and decided that Oak Manor seems the best for us and closest to Boatwrights etc.
Do I need to request a 2nd floor room on Oak Manor in advance and am I better telephoning my request or faxing?
Many thanks for all your help and advice
Lisa

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I know Oak Manor has completed it's rehab so the rooms are nice and redone for you!!! I Am not sure what would be the best way to insure a second floor room as nothing is ever guaranteed, however Id call CRO or your travel agent and have them add this as a preference on to your reservation. Parterre Place is also very close and I have stayed there twice so far. It was under rehab the last time I was in the area ( July 17-20th) but it may be complete now. Anything else I can help with??
Also dont forget to take the boat down to Downtown Disney one night. It is a lovely romantic ride. Belle

Upvote 0

LisaStockman

Original Poster
Belle,
I have one more question for you.
Being from the UK can I ask you a question regarding tipping the room cleaner? Can you recommend how much money I should leave each day? Sorry to ask such a silly question but we Brits are not used to tipping and I would hate to offend anyone.
Many thanks
Lisa

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

The general rule that I have heard, is one dollar per day, per person in the room. So if it is just you and Hubby 2 dollars a day over the course of your vacation is good. You can either leave it day by day or all at once at the end. I am not sure if the same cleaners do the room daily though. Anyone else want to weigh in on this?? Belle

Upvote 0

shari71

We were told a dollar a day per person per day and to leave it on the pillow each day. I know we had the same cleaning person for four days then we had a new one so if you leave it at the end then the first cleaning person doesn't get theirs. Also if you leave it every day you are more likely to get the little extras. Extras - towel or wash rag characters (we have had birds, ghosts and rabits) set up in your room. One year they put all our daughters stuffed animals in the window as if they were watching for her return. They have also piled them on the bed and turned on the Disney channel for them to watch.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom