Pleasure Island vs Disney Springs

Raineman

Original Poster
Having never had the opportunity to visit any of the previous versions of Disney Springs, including Pleasure Island, I was wondering, for any of you who have been going regularly over the years, what version of this area is your favorite? Has it improved over the years, or have the changes not been positive ones? I'll be able to get my own impression when I make my first visit in a couple of months, but I am curious what regular visitors think.

Jon81uk

I never went to the dance clubs, just didn't appeal on our first trip. But we did enjoy Comedy Warehouse several times. By our third trip PI was closed so never got to try it properly.
I think that once PI stopped being "gated" (so you needed to pay to get into the area) it didn't feel right to be drinking out on the street anymore, so the general party atmosphere was lost.

But some of the club spaces were still good and I wish they had kept some items, Comedy Warehouse especially could still be very popular, even charging a modest cover charge. I'm sure the Adventurers Club would be a similar draw. My worry with the current "The Landing" area is that it is too restaurant led, what do we do after dinner? Drinks in a nice bar is good, but where is the entertainment? Not everyone wants live music.

John

In PI's day there wasn't another place like it anywhere....atleast here in the USA. It was shear adult clean fun. It had some issues but not s many as some believe. DTD also in its previous life was known as the Disney Village as a whole had charm.. When PI ungated the area it was the beginning of the end for PI and it changed DTD. It lost its heart. I guess you could say that Disney is giving DTD a heart transplant with what is going on now. To me it doesn't have the "charm" it once had. Its a slick new mall. I am sure Disney Springs will do fine. It just doesn't appeal to me. I will visit DS when I want a break from the parks but probably wont spend money much there. What I really do like about the area is the entertainment offerings. Musicians everywhere. There is something for everyone's taste. It has a nice ambiance.

Hockey89

In PI's day there wasn't another place like it anywhere....atleast here in the USA. It was shear adult clean fun. It had some issues but not s many as some believe. DTD also in its previous life was known as the Disney Village as a whole had charm.. When PI ungated the area it was the beginning of the end for PI and it changed DTD. It lost its heart. I guess you could say that Disney is giving DTD a heart transplant with what is going on now. To me it doesn't have the "charm" it once had. Its a slick new mall. I am sure Disney Springs will do fine. It just doesn't appeal to me. I will visit DS when I want a break from the parks but probably wont spend money much there. What I really do like about the area is the entertainment offerings. Musicians everywhere. There is something for everyone's taste. It has a nice ambiance.
This

mitchk

I must say I rather enjoyed pleasure island in the early 2000's. They had the adventurers club the BET soundstage and a number of other clubs. I'd say around 2006 is when it really started to go downhill, there were a lot of locals that would cause trouble, my friend actually got into a fight with some locals who were threatening to get a gun out of the trunk. The cops came and they were arrested, the locals that is. I think when it's all said and done that's what really was the demise of pleasure island,local kids with nothing better to do then start trouble

Jon81uk

I must say I rather enjoyed pleasure island in the early 2000's. They had the adventurers club the BET soundstage and a number of other clubs. I'd say around 2006 is when it really started to go downhill, there were a lot of locals that would cause trouble, my friend actually got into a fight with some locals who were threatening to get a gun out of the trunk. The cops came and they were arrested, the locals that is. I think when it's all said and done that's what really was the demise of pleasure island,local kids with nothing better to do then start trouble

and I think that also co-incides to when it stopped being "gated" with a cover charge for the whole Island. When you had to pay just to get on the streets I don't think the trouble makers even wanted to pay.

mitchk

and I think that also co-incides to when it stopped being "gated" with a cover charge for the whole Island. When you had to pay just to get on the streets I don't think the trouble makers even wanted to pay.

Very true, I think they stopped charging around like 2006, or 2007. Don't quote me on that though.

Hockey89

This as well.... It's shame because at its height there was nothing really like it.... Sad.

rucifee

It really was. We have the same problems with the clubs downtown and in other areas around the city. CityWalk, isn't "safe" late at night but it's "safer" because their security is much tighter over there. There are still problems down at Disney Springs and the hotels / areas right around it, but it's not quite as bad as it was back in the mid 2000s.

John

The great thing about the Adventurers Club was that some people got it and some people didn't. If you got it. You were apart of the club....a wink and a smile. Cerebral comedy at its best. Who ever created the Adventurers club was a genius..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The great thing about the Adventurers Club was that some people got it and some people didn't. If you got it. You were apart of the club....a wink and a smile. Cerebral comedy at its best. Who ever created the Adventurers club was a genius..
That would be Roger and this well known chap.

ADFT0141_2902.jpg

POLY LOVER

Having never had the opportunity to visit any of the previous versions of Disney Springs, including Pleasure Island, I was wondering, for any of you who have been going regularly over the years, what version of this area is your favorite? Has it improved over the years, or have the changes not been positive ones? I'll be able to get my own impression when I make my first visit in a couple of months, but I am curious what regular visitors think.

I think you may need to judge it when it is totally completed. I love the new resturants including JOCKS HANGER BAR. Mirimoto is the bomb. I also just love sitting outside at the bowling alley bar listening to the live music and have a drink. I was not a fan of Pleasure Island it sounded like some seedy resort in the Bahamas. It also sounds like PI attracted trouble.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom