Pleasure Island Dining

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
For our trip in June we are planning on seeing La Nouba (early show).

I'm looking for opinions on Raglan Road, Portobella Yacht Club or Bongos for dinner and whether they are appropriate for kids for a meal at about 7:30 or 8:00 PM.

BRER STITCH

TiggerRPh said:
For our trip in June we are planning on seeing La Nouba (early show).

I'm looking for opinions on Raglan Road, Portobella Yacht Club or Bongos for dinner and whether they are appropriate for kids for a meal at about 7:30 or 8:00 PM.

Portobella Yacht Club is my favorite sit-down restaurant at Downtown Disney! A little bit of everythig on the menu to satisfy everyone! :slurp:

Bongos was good, but the kids might not like some of the spices used or food combinations.

Raglan Road has received good reviews from what I have read. I'll try it first hand next week when I go!

There is also the HOUSE OF BLUES, which has good food and is right near the La Nouba theater - a much shorter walk than the others!

If you want to go more casual, The Earl of Sandwich has awesome soup, salad, and sandwiches. I love those too! Less expensive, but the longest walk to the theater.

ENJOY!

:wave:

MickeyTigg

Original Poster
BRER STITCH said:
Portobella Yacht Club is my favorite sit-down restaurant at Downtown Disney! A little bit of everythig on the menu to satisfy everyone! :slurp:

Bongos was good, but the kids might not like some of the spices used or food combinations.

Raglan Road has received good reviews from what I have read. I'll try it first hand next week when I go!

There is also the HOUSE OF BLUES, which has good food and is right near the La Nouba theater - a much shorter walk than the others!

If you want to go more casual, The Earl of Sandwich has awesome soup, salad, and sandwiches. I love those too! Less expensive, but the longest walk to the theater.

ENJOY!

:wave:

Let me know about Raglan Road after you go.

How about the "atmosphere" at that time....okay for kids?

BRER STITCH

TiggerRPh said:

Sure!

Raglan Road is right at the MARKETPLACE entrance to Pleasure Island, near the Portobella Yacht Club. You can either walk THROUGH PI from WESTSIDE or walk AROUND it on the parking lot side walkways if you want to. At that hour it shouldn't be as rowdy as might get later, and it is a family restaurant, so you should be all set.

I'll write a detailed description after I see it first hand.

:)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Another possibility is Wolfgang Puck's in West Side. Excellent food and closer to La Nouba. We ate there after seeing the show a few weeks ago. Family friendly, a bit busy and noisy in some areas, but a nice atmosphere.

AliciaLuvzDizne

TiggerRPh said:

*been to Raglan Road*

:lookaroun twice

It's very good... and if you are there after 9, an Irish band plays and there is some Irish dancing on a table/stage in the center of the restaurant!

The food is kinda fancy, but delicious! I had sheppards pie once and the fish and chips once...both were delicious!

EDIT: picture
NovemberDisney018.jpg

also...i do remember, that they did card at the door if you were going into the bar after 9...but if its for dinner it shouldnt be a problem :wave: (also, for dinner, you aren't likely to sit at the bar...right?)

Littlebit

A few other thoughts to ponder about the 3 restaurants:

I have yet to have a good meal at Bongo's. I've eaten there 4 times since it opened, each time with spaces of roughly 6 months to a year apart and I've had to deal with long waits after we've ordered, fatty meats and and cold entrees that were supposed to be hot. I really WANT Bongo's to be good because I'd there to be a decent Cuban place near me, but I've given up on Bongo's. If you catch the "Ricky Ricardo" entertainment at Bongo's, it's amusing.

Portobello's food is wonderful but service has gone down slightly in the past year or two. If you've never been before, or if you haven't gone in a long time, you won't notice.

Raglan Road is VERY strict with their ages for the Kid's menu (I think the cutoff is 12). Their food, although delicious, is also VERY greasy (not just the fish and chips or skewered sausage, all of which I would expect to be greasy). Finally, the facility is BIG and LOUD, which gets worse with live entertainment. I'm talking "nearly having to scream at each other to be heard" level of loud.

I had a great time at Planet Hollywood; the food was excellent and I love movies! All movie fans should eat at Planet Hollywood in the Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney Area.

ruca

I've been to most of these restaurants at least 2-5 times.

I have had great food at Bongos everytime I've been there. Granted, the food may be very flavorful, but what better time to expose children to new food than on vacation in a really fun atmosphere.

Portobello's is touch and go for me. When there food is good, it's fantastic and the service has been exceptional. However, they are a place that has some really off days. Knowing how good their food can be, when you get an off day, it can be disappointing.

House of Blues is good, but available in a lot of other cities and therefore less unique.

WGP has a HUGE menu, so there is something for everyone and for all tastes. However, I have had a few VERY bad experiences there, including one of my friends asking if something had nuts because she had allergies. They told her NO but it did and she had to get an entirely different meal while the rest of us had ours and they did not comp her or even seem apologetic. That said, I would still go back there again.

I am going to Ragland's for the first time next month! YEAH!!!!!! Being an irish girl, I'm esp. excited!!!!!:sohappy:

kbusch

My husband & I went to Portobello's this past September when we visited WDW to celebrate our 1 yr anniv. We chose to have dinner there the night of our actual anniv. and couldn't have been more impressed with our experience there. The food was delicious, probably some of the best that I have had, and the service was excellent. Our server was extremely friendly & attentive. There were children of all ages there and they seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as the adults were. It is a little bit on the spendy side but definitely well worth every penny in my book.

Hope this helps. Have a GREAT time! :wave:

BRER STITCH

Here's a snippet of Portobello's Dinner Menu. WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE???? :slurp:

I highly recommend the Farfalle with Chicken and snow peas for the pasta lovers! IT ROCKS!!!
:slurp: :slurp: :slurp: :slurp:

--------------------------
ENTREES

Filet Mignon - Black angus center cut Filet of beef tenderloin charcoal grilled to perfection, served with wood roasted vegetables and white truffle butter sauce $34.95

Ribeye Steak - Black Angus Rib-eye, charcoal grilled and topped with parmesan cheese crust, served with rosemary wine sauce and seasonal vegetables $26.95
With gulf shrimp add $9.95
With 6 oz. Australia Lobster tail add $19.95

Rosemary Chicken - Charcoal grilled half chicken with rosemary sauce and seasonal vegetables $17.95

Wood Roasted Salmon - Wrapped Atlantic salmon, served with sautéed summer vegetables and drizzled with rosemary oil $24.95

Rack of Lamb - Marinated New Zealand rack of lamb charcoal grilled, served with risotto cake and rosemary sauce $28.95

Tuna with Prosciutto- Prosciutto and sage wrapped yellow fin tuna wood roasted, with aged balsamic vinegar and seasonal vegetables $25.95

Double Cut Pork Chop - Wood roasted and spice crusted double cut pork chop, served with garlic wilted spinach and balsamic onions $24.95

Charcoal Grilled Pacific Swordfish - Charcoal grilled Pacific swordfish, served with sautéed calamari, squid ink linguine pasta and saffron cream sauce $26.95

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

PASTA
Spaghettini alla Portobello - A house specialty! Scallops, shrimp, clams and Alaska king crab with tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, wine and herbs lightly tossed with spaghettini pasta $25.95

Shrimp Fettuccine - Fettuccine pasta with charcoal grilled herb marinated gulf shrimp, sautéed asparagus and roasted garlic white wine cream sauce $24.95

Farfalle with Chicken - Pasta butterflies with grilled marinated chicken, asparagus, snow peas, cream and parmigiano cheese $17.95

Rigatoni with Sausage - Rigatoni pasta with house made Italian sausage, crimini mushrooms, plum tomatoes, black olives and escarole $17.95

Penne with Pancetta - Penne pasta with crispy Italian bacon, caramelized onions, plum tomatoes and basil $15.95

Linguine with Clams - Linguine pasta with Manila clams, garlic, white wine, plum tomatoes and parsley $18.95

DisneyHoneymoon

Bongo's is awesome!

DH and I have gone to Bongo's every year now.. and sometimes twice a year. Food has always been yummy. Fresh, hot, just perfect. There are "less spicy" entrees for those little palates. For example, they have a huge fresh fruit platter with a coconut sauce on the side which anyone could enjoy. I recommend eating outside under the palm treas... the music is fantastic... very attentive wait staff. Cannot wait to go back!
I was not impressed by Wolfgang Pucks..limited menu to be sure.

shoppingnut

I enjoyed Raglan Road very much, I had a very traditional Irish dish of grilled shrimp on a bed of sauteed spinach, it was very yummy. We had dinner about 7p and it was not loud at all. The place starts to get busy around 8:30ish because the live band starts playing at 9p and that is when you'll see the step dancer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom