Please help?

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Does anyone here know if it's possible to talk to someone in human resources at Disney?

I have recently been informed by someone working for Disney that "Disney" feels that a bachelor's degree from the University of Phoenix Online isn't worth the paper that it's written on. This conversation was overheard at a party by me, and the man was so obstinate that I did not want to question him on it.

I'm going to school specifically to obtain a job with Disney. Right now I'm working on my bachelor's degree in business management.

The UOP is an accredited university, so I'm not sure why anyone would say this, but I want to confirm it immediately before I waste a ton of money and time and then not be able to get where I want to go.

Thank you,
Christina

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Career site no help

I visited the Disney Careers site and it is no help. They will only give you information on how to send in a resume.

Is there really no way to talk to anyone who has anything to do with the hiring procedure here?

Monorail Lime

University of Phoenix Online doesn't have a good reputation at most firms even though it is an accredited university and the education is just as good. The concept of online education is still too radical to those HR types who probably suffered through a traditional MBA program and want everyone else to endure the same torture.

Your best bet is to develop a good portfolio, get some internships on your resume, really learn your field, keep that GPA up, and maybe participate in the WDW College Program. Hopefully the recruiter will realize that these types of things are more important than where you went to school.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Update on trying to reach someone

I got the number for casting which is 1 407 828 1000. The people there were NOT nice. I told them my story as far as wanting to get some information on the degree I am currently trying to receive so I can obtain employment with Disney.

I told two people the same long story about it being my dream to work for Disney and I'm spending about $30,000 to get there, but I'm concerned about the worth of the degree. I explained about being one of the biggest Disney fans around and traveling to Orlando twice a year, yada, yada, yada!

Still--no one would transfer me ANYWHERE. They claim they do not have "anyone to talk to you regarding that matter."

This is sort of souring my entire view of Disney. I'm verging on not even wanting to work for a company that does not value the interest of someone who would obviously be a great asset.

Any email addresses anyone can provide? If there are no phone numbers surely there is SOME way I can get 2 minutes of someone's time?

Christina

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Just say University of Phoenix... don't mention if it was online. That's it.. it's not lying, and in Florida, if it's the same institution, they can't question it.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I guess after talking to several other people about this matter today, that it's not the fact that it's online that is a problem. I guess that the University as a whole has a negative connotation with some because of the accelerated programs that they advertise.

Well I can tell you that it's much more than substandard. The work is neverending. I am up usually until 3am every morning doing schoolwork after putting in about a 10-12 hour day at work.

I know that I can't compete with a Harvard graduate, but again, hearing that Disney does not "consider" applicants with this degree is sort of upsetting and kind of unfair.

Christina

Maria

Re: Update on trying to reach someone

Originally posted by CoraJack
I got the number for casting which is 1 407 828 1000. The people there were NOT nice. I told them my story as far as wanting to get some information on the degree I am currently trying to receive so I can obtain employment with Disney.

I told two people the same long story about it being my dream to work for Disney and I'm spending about $30,000 to get there, but I'm concerned about the worth of the degree. I explained about being one of the biggest Disney fans around and traveling to Orlando twice a year, yada, yada, yada!

Still--no one would transfer me ANYWHERE. They claim they do not have "anyone to talk to you regarding that matter."

This is sort of souring my entire view of Disney. I'm verging on not even wanting to work for a company that does not value the interest of someone who would obviously be a great asset.

Not to be mean or anything, but do you have an idea of how many people tell the same things to them PER DAY? Just look around in this same website how many people say that their dream is to work there, that they are studying for a job there, "yada yada yada".... ! I think the people at Casting were actually nice for lending you an ear! ;)

If I were you, I would check their opennings in hotjobs.com or monster.com and apply directly to them. Make your cover letter, send your resume, and then they will read it, and if you are what they need, they will certainly call you back. In my own experience, I sent my resume to casting with a cover letter, and they called me back to tell me when the interviews were going to be in my country. Of course, my case was very different, but it proved me that they did read my resume. Just do the same for a specific position and keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck! :wave:

PhotoDave219

Well I'd lose the "online" buit and refer to it as its official name, and try not to lose any sleep over it.

Good Luck to you, I just graduated on Thursday.

Woody13

Actually the proof is in the pudding. Just get a B.S. or a B.A. Practically speaking, it doesn't really matter what school, college or university awards you the degree. The important part is your ability to "sell" yourself to Disney. Ever hear of Denison University in Granville, Ohio? Well, don't feel bad because most people have never heard of that school either. It doesn't rank very high among other universities in the U.S. (to be honest it doesn't rank at all). Guess what? The head mouse got his B.A. from D.U. back in 1964 and that was the last of his formal education. If Michael Eisner can do it then you can too!

dreammaker

Originally posted by CoraJack
I guess after talking to several other people about this matter today, that it's not the fact that it's online that is a problem. I guess that the University as a whole has a negative connotation with some because of the accelerated programs that they advertise.

Well I can tell you that it's much more than substandard. The work is neverending. I am up usually until 3am every morning doing schoolwork after putting in about a 10-12 hour day at work.

I know that I can't compete with a Harvard graduate, but again, hearing that Disney does not "consider" applicants with this degree is sort of upsetting and kind of unfair.

Christina

Pheonix as a whole has a reputation problem...when they say accredited, the important question to ask is "by whom?" I know here very few of the schools will accept transfer work from Pheonix. The other thing, I wouldnt worry about the Casting Dept. Their job is to find people who will do a good job working, nto talk their ear off about their dreams...that is what the imagineers are for...as much as it pains me to say this, there is a #1 rule of the Disney Companies...they are just that companies to make money. As proven by all of us on this site, they are much more then just an everyday company, but they are still there to hire the best, to make the most.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom