Please help me with my camera selection. P&S or DSLR? Help please!

mousefan1972

I have a Sony Cybershot point and shoot, and just bought a DSLR. Without having fully learned how to use my SLR, I can say that it takes 1,000X better pictures than my point and shoot. I can only imagine how great they will come out once I am better at using it. If you are serious about photography and have the time to learn to use an SLR, you should go for it. However, they cost a lot more than a point and shoot. You said you are 15; do you have $450 - $500 for a Nikon D40?

mousefan1972

The Nikon would be my Christmas gift, and I figured I could use it for my photography/graphic design class in school.

Do you have answers for any of my other questions:

How bad is it to lug around?

Do you always take it WDW or sometime use the cybershot instead?

Thanks!

Well, I just got it so I haven't had the chance to take it to WDW yet. I'm going next month, so I'll report back after. In terms of lugging it.. my Cyber Shot fits in my pocket, so taking the SLR will be very different. I'm sure there will be times when I won't want to carry it and I'll take the Sony instead. But I'm planning on taking it as much as I can. Getting a backpack type bag for it would make it easier for you to carry it around. Lowepro is a brand that makes reallly good SLR bags. I got one, but not a backpack style. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide! :wave:

CAPTAIN HOOK

Your age shouldn't influence your choice of camera !!

If you have a basic understanding of the principles of photography then the D40 is the camera for you - it will be something to grow into

It does have autofocus. If its anything like the D80 which I have then it will have fully automatic settings as well as manual settings.

Check out Nikons website or pop into your local camera shop

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would recommend a high end point and shoot like a Panasonic FZ-50 or a Fuji finepix S100fs.

The aforementioned cameras are commonly called bridge or SLR-like cameras because they offer many of the DSLR controls and features while retaining some of the more convenient features of a point and shoot style camera.

Pros of bridge cameras.

1. Many have DSLR like controls such as a zoom ring on the lens, a manual mode that can be adjusted while looking through the viewfinder etc.
2. Many have a hot shoe for an external flash.
3. Most have mega zooms (12x or better) without a 12" + long lens.
4. Cost. You can get a complete setup with multiple batteries, external flash, extra memory cards, case, tripod, remote trigger, etc for under $1000 easy.
5. Size. They are by no means as small as a pocket size point and shoot but they are smaller and weigh less then the average DSLR and there is no need to carry extra lenses.

Cons of bridge cameras.

1. A DSLR will take better pictures. There is no way to get around the fact that a $2000+ camera will take better pictures than a $600 one.
2. Low light performance will not be a good. While the bridge cameras have high ISO settings available image quality will suffer.
3. DLSR cameras will inevitable have better features. Burst shooting tends to be faster, RAW performance is almost always better, lenses will be better, etc.

When it comes to carrying them to the parks a point and shoot will always be easier. If you are going to the parks with the sole purpose of taking pictures then the size of a DSLR and the accompanying accessories is no big deal. However, if you want to enjoy the parks and take pictures a backpack full of metal and glass can be quite cumbersome.

The other thing to consider is cost. You get a bit more bang for your buck with a bridge camera. Even though you might be able to get an entry level DSLR body for around $500 you will quickly find yourself spending and additional $1000+ on lenses, batteries, flashes, etc. You will also find yourself wanting to upgrade to a higher end body before to long as well.

My advice....Get a good bridge camera, use it for a year or two and if you find yourself still loving photography throw down the big bucks on high end DSLR.

PhotoDave219

Hi everyone!

I would really like help in deciding on a camera for me.

I am only 15 but very into photography and graphic design. I have seen amazing pictures on here by people who have used a Nikon D40.

I have been thinking about this camera because of the amazing pictures it can take but a couple things that I am weary about are:

-the size, it is much bigger than a point and shoot
-the lens does not autofocus (I may be wrong but that is what I have heard)
-carrying around a DSLR in WDW as my parents do not want to be carrying it
-it may be hard for me to get to use, is it?

I have also looked at simple point and shoots like Canon Powershot and Sony Cybershot, and I really am stuck on whether to get a point and shoot or DSLR.

So how is the Nikon D40 for a 15 yr old who is very into graphic design (photo editing) and photography?

Is it that bulky to carry? Do you always take it to WDW?

And I cannot get both a DSLR and point and shoot like many people have, so I would like to make a good decision. Please let me know and if you steer me towards a point and shoot please, if you can, give me specific suggestions.

Also WDWFigment I believe you have a Nikon D40 so I would REALLY appreciate your input.
Thanks for your help guys!

Okay, i do this for a living so i will try and point you in a direction.

First things first. Nikon D60. D40 is older and while its entry level, its a generation old. D60 is better imo. (FWIW, i use a D700 and a D2x every day. I have used Nikon DSLRs for the past 8 years.)

This whole "the lens doesn't autofocus" business. What the camera lacks is the drive pin so it only focuses lenses that have their own focusing motors (AF-S and AF-I). Nikon is slowly migrating everything to an AF-S lens.

So what does that mean for you? DOn't worry about it unless youre putting some older nikon lenses on it.

I have never had a problem carrying a DSLR around in Disney, especially teh 3 years i lived there and shot there on a regular basis. I won't get into the specifics of how and what i brought into the parks but it was definetly more than the average tourist.

On my last trip in August, my walk-around setup was a D700 w/ a 24-85 lens and a 70-300. Did everything i wanted it to do. Carried around a Tamarac sling bag and kept it all low key. No problems, beyond accidently seeing the sunrise.

DSLR's arent that hard to use. You can go full auto or full manual. You can make the camera do what you want it to do versus using a point and shoot that youre hoping does what you want it to do. Once you learn a DSLR and some basic photographic technique, you can apply that to everything else including P&Ss and basic video.

It sounds to me since you are into photography, graphic design and the whatnot that the best step forward in learning and doing what you want to do is to go the entry level DSLR route and take steps from there. I get the idea that another P&S will just frustrate you in 6 weeks.

However if you do go the P&S route, go for the Canon powershot over Sony. I've used both and i find Sony to be limiting in trying to get it to do what i want it to do. I've rocked two Canon Powershots and made good pictures.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hi everyone!

I would really like help in deciding on a camera for me.

I am only 15 but very into photography and graphic design. I have seen amazing pictures on here by people who have used a Nikon D40.

I

As you are into it, I would go with a DSLR. You very quickly grow out of a point and shoot. At the end of the day, you just end up pointing the thing and pressing the button. It isnt really photography, more like scene capturing LOL. An SLR can be as easy (full auto), or as hard (full manual) as you want it to be. You just cannot beat the flexibility of an SLR with all the controls and changeable lens. Having an SLR though doesnt automatically mean great photos. I have seen terrible results from people using SLRs, and I have seen wonderful results from point and shoots. The camera is just the tool that allows you to do what you want with it.
Have fun with whatever you get!

PhotoDave219

As far as Canon Powershots go, I go for any of the a5xx series or the Digital Elf. I had fun with them.

Okay I would recommend either the Nikon D60 or the Canon Digital Rebel XS.

WHy? They're both under $500. Theyre virtually identical. Both are under 12 months old. They're the latest technology.

The only main difference is that the Canon Digital Rebel XS has a "liveview" function wherein you don't actually have to look through the viewfinder.

My Nikon has that feature and i really don't find it useful at all. I like looking through the lens.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, i think it would.

But before you actually plop down $500 dollars, go to a camera store and play with both. See what fits well in your hands and works for you.

Thats the end all be all test, IMO....

WDWFigment

I use a D40, but I think I've hit my wall with its capabilities (it can't do bracketting, 3 point auto-focus, etc.). That said, I would not upgrade to the D60 if I were to upgrade. It just doesn't seem like it had enough improvements over the D40 to justify the extra money. It sounds like you're interested in an entry level camera, so I don't really see the difference between the D40 and D60 affecting you, with the exception of the price difference. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom