Please give any advice needed on a surprise trip...

Jake Wilson

My mom is surprising us on Christmas morning for a trip to WDW in February (2/20-2/27) I only know because when she used my Delta miles account to book the itinerary I received a conformation email so it spoiled the surprise for me. I have chose not to inform my sister and her family or my son and girlfriend.
The problems I am running into are none that I have ever had before while traveling WDW by myself, I need to set advanced reservations and fast passes ASAP, unfortunately I cant get our Disney info from Grandma because she does not know I received the conformation e-mails that spoiled my Christmas morning surprise. Also she isn't familiar or a Disney nut so I know she hasn't done this prior even if she has I would like to give her guidance being a crazed Disney man! As we all know if the trip is not planned properly and early it can make it a very difficult trip rather than being prepared.
Please give any advice on what I should do, I also would like to know what attractions may be opened, closed, or extremely busy during this time of the year. (Or if there are any things going on that I wont see in summer months etc.)
This is my first trip to the world traveling with family of all ages, I am very excited for my 4 year old son to go but also worried about what we may miss or need to do differently do to age/height restrictions. I am a mad man on the run at all times when I go limiting myself to very minimal breaks, I understabd I can not be selfish and will have to be patient and probably miss quite a few rides do to this but in return I get to experience my sons reactions and first time to WDW. (We went to Disneyland when he was 2 during the same time of year)
What is worth doing and what is a must skip now days (its been 4-5 years since my last visit) Are the water parks worth it, will cabs allow children to ride with out certain car seats/safety devices.
I am also staying on property this time around and that is also a first, should I expect anything other than better staff, cleanliness and on site transportation?
Will we get the new wrist bands or is this a add on or mandatory?
Will any of the new attractions be open? What will be closed?
Thank you for all of your help, if there is simply a site or page on here that you recommend that will answer most of this that would be great too!

I cant wait, I am one big kid at heart and I am over excited to be a toddler with my son and share our imagination and time away from the real world and the horrible events we now see daily.
First family trip to the world! Staying @ Animal Kingdom Lodge  

DisneyFans4Life

What an awesome surprise!! My best piece of advice is to throw your past expectations out the window. Since you're traveling with a bigger group, if you try to setup a strict itinerary, you'll be setting yourself up for frustrations.

IMO, just wait until you get the "surprise" on Christmas morning, and then you can start booking your ADRs...two months out will still allow you to get some good restaurants and by waiting, you can get everyone's input as to what they'd like.

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I would just start making your ADR's now. You don't need to have a resort reservation or anything. For now, I would make accounts to your friends and family for all people that are going, that way you can assign them to the dining reservations. Then, when it is no longer a surprise, you can send them the email invite to connect, and it will make it nice and smooth. As for the magic bands, they will come a little under 30 days from your trip, as you have up until then to edit the color and such. I don't think there will be any new attractions open, maybe a few new restaurants at Disney Springs and the Skipper restaurant at MK.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

That's a wonderful surprise.

I'd make getting ahold of that confirmation number your first priority. The cat is out of the bag, so you might as well make yourself your mother's co-conspirator and helper elf. Take care of all of the reservations yourself as a favor to everybody (with your mother's input, of course).

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I'd make getting ahold of that confirmation number your first priority. The cat is out of the bag, so you might as well make yourself your mother's co-conspirator and helper elf. Take care of all of the reservations yourself as a favor to everybody (with your mother's input, of course).
I agree it is a wonderful surprise. I disagree with letting the mother know the surprise is out of the bag. I think for me, giving the gift as a surprise would be important and if it makes the mother happy to surprise them, I would definetly let her have the joy of the surprise. You can still plan after the surprise gift is given, and you can pretend to be surprised along with everybody else. If that makes mom happy, no amount of ADRs matter, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I agree it is a wonderful surprise. I disagree with letting the mother know the surprise is out of the bag. I think for me, giving the gift as a surprise would be important and if it makes the mother happy to surprise them, I would definetly let her have the joy of the surprise. You can still plan after the surprise gift is given, and you can pretend to be surprised along with everybody else. If that makes mom happy, no amount of ADRs matter, in my opinion.

I agree with this, let it be a surprise. I'm assuming you will all be together when she pops the surprise so it will be fun to plan together. Have you laptop or iPad ready to start making the adrs. If there is someplace you absolutely have to eat at make the adr but don't tell anyone until you make things as a group. Maybe your mom is more savvy than you are giving her credit for, maybe she has some plans in mind already and if plan for your self or for the whole group it might ruin her plan. It is her surprise let it be a surprise.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

I agree with this, let it be a surprise. I'm assuming you will all be together when she pops the surprise so it will be fun to plan together. Have you laptop or iPad ready to start making the adrs. If there is someplace you absolutely have to eat at make the adr but don't tell anyone until you make things as a group. Maybe your mom is more savvy than you are giving her credit for, maybe she has some plans in mind already and if plan for your self or for the whole group it might ruin her plan. It is her surprise let it be a surprise.

Oh, good idea -- I stupidly forgot when I was responding that you don't have to have a resort confirmation number to make a dining reservation!!!

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster
What an awesome surprise!! My best piece of advice is to throw your past expectations out the window. Since you're traveling with a bigger group, if you try to setup a strict itinerary, you'll be setting yourself up for frustrations.

IMO, just wait until you get the "surprise" on Christmas morning, and then you can start booking your ADRs...two months out will still allow you to get some good restaurants and by waiting, you can get everyone's input as to what they'd like.
I completely agree! I think this round I get to experience the world from the spectator side and see the magic from a different more laid back view. Thank you for your input :)

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster
I would just start making your ADR's now. You don't need to have a resort reservation or anything. For now, I would make accounts to your friends and family for all people that are going, that way you can assign them to the dining reservations. Then, when it is no longer a surprise, you can send them the email invite to connect, and it will make it nice and smooth. As for the magic bands, they will come a little under 30 days from your trip, as you have up until then to edit the color and such. I don't think there will be any new attractions open, maybe a few new restaurants at Disney Springs and the Skipper restaurant at MK.
If I make them and unexpectedly my mom has done this can I merge my plans with hers or cancel mine all together? Thanks

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster

I am so torn, I don't want to break her heart because she knows how huge this is for me :) she said she would take me for my 1 1/2 year sobriety mark from not a drop of alcohol, which is on Monday. The best thing is she booked it over my birthday too :). Is it a slower time of year Feb 20-27th? Or is it going to be busy? Thank you :)

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster
After you said this it really opened my eyes and I realized how devastated my mother would be, she knows how much this means to me. I love how you said no amount of ADRs is worth that and I agree! You really helped me more than you know!

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster
I gained wonderful perspective from you post, I'll definitely be ready with iPad and laptop Christmas morning. As for my mom planning the trip I feel bad I doubt her ability to do this. Her sister is a travel agent so it is very possible. She does own and run her own company, she also hasn't been to The world in 18+ years, she has heard me babble on about all the great improvements and new technology. She is a very busy woman but she is a super mom and one of the most generous, giving, outgoing people I know so I will show up prepared on Christmas and ask after the "surprise" and enjoy a wonderful unplanned trip and make it as fun and easy as possible if that is what is required of me. Thank you again!

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If I make them and unexpectedly my mom has done this can I merge my plans with hers or cancel mine all together? Thanks

Once you "know" about the surprise, you should be able to link your ADRs to your mother's MDE account (or else link her confirmation # to your MDE account, where your ADRs are kept). There should be a link somewhere on MyDisneyExperience where you can "link an existing reservation". (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/restaurants/retrieving-a-reservation/) If you have any trouble, call and ask a CM for assistance in merging everything.

Unless you're on the dining plan, though, you don't necessarily need the ADRs to be linked to your mother's confirmation #.

...and congratulations on your milestone! :)

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

Thank you! Are you familiar with how busy it is in the late part of February?
Actually, we have been a few times the last part of February, and it is usually pretty nice when it comes to crowd levels with no crazy wait times. But when it comes to dining reservations, they still go fast for all of the usual hot spots.

Upvote 0

Wendy Pleakley

If you made ADRs now, is there any reason she would know this?

You could make them now, and then when she announces the trip ask her if she has reserved any meals. If she hasn't, pretend to go online for a few minutes and then tell her what you've booked.

Upvote 0

Jake Wilson

Original Poster
Does anyone have any sites or information that I could get on what may be closed at the time of my visit and also extra perks like EMH or festivals etc. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom