Plastic wrapped seating/ride vehicles sitting at Peoplemover load station?

mickEblu

Apparently the rocket rods caused major structural damage to the people mover infrastructure that combined with the length of time it was closed, it probably would take that long.

Right I’m wondering why the entirety of TL would need to close instead of in phases.

Disstevefan1

Right I’m wondering why the entirety of TL would need to close instead of in phases.
It was a hypothetical question to measure how much folks really want it back, but I would not be surprised if they would prefer to close the entire area to do it for the safety of the guests.

mickEblu

It was a hypothetical question to measure how much folks really want it back, but I would not be surprised if they would prefer to close the entire area to do it for the safety of the guests.

Yeah possible. Or maybe the land would require closing down entirely for only part of the construction process. With GE, revamped Toontown/ MMRR and DCA they may think they can get away with it. I mean they did close the whole land in the late 90s and that was a much smaller DL with less capacity. Then again fewer visitors too.

Anyway, essentially when you ask me if I can do without TL for 4 years all you are really asking me is “can you do without Space Mountain for 4 years?” That doesn’t make it sound as bad. Just open up West Coast Cosmic Rewind first at DCA haha.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If they closed the entire land I don't see it taking 4 years. Disney when they want to can move fast. So with an entire land like TL they would want to get it back open as soon as possible, even if that is in phases.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Apparently the rocket rods caused major structural damage to the people mover infrastructure that combined with the length of time it was closed, it probably would take that long.
Structural damage to the exterior track caused by the Rocket Rods is part of the reason it hasn't come back.

Based on things Tony Baxter has said in various interviews, Imagineering has tried to figure out ways to bring it back over the years with no success. Original building codes and regulations would not be grandfathered into today's standards. He said today's codes would require evacuation stairs every so many feet along the exterior track, and the vehicles would need enclosures to prevent people from sticking their arms out during the interior portions and widening the interior tunnels would require major renovations to the buildings.

Disstevefan1

Structural damage to the exterior track caused by the Rocket Rods is part of the reason it hasn't come back.

Based on things Tony Baxter has said in various interviews, Imagineering has tried to figure out ways to bring it back over the years with no success. Original building codes and regulations would not be grandfathered into today's standards. He said today's codes would require evacuation stairs every so many feet along the exterior track, and the vehicles would need enclosures to prevent people from sticking their arms out during the interior portions and widening the interior tunnels would require major renovations to the buildings.

Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando pulled it off, creating a modern day people mover, "The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride", opened in 2006.
1714169362525.png

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando pulled it off a modern day people mover, "The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride", opened in 2006.
View attachment 781930

Sort of.
That was built from scratch, avoiding the retro-fit issues we would unfortunately have to deal with.

Also (for me at least) one of the unique aspects of the Peoplemover was stepping into your own little "conversation pit", unrestrained by individual seats and lap bars. That also seemed to fit in more with the notion that it was another version of "public transportation".

DrAlice

Sort of.
That was built from scratch, avoiding the retro-fit issues we would unfortunately have to deal with.

Also (for me at least) one of the unique aspects of the Peoplemover was stepping into your own little "conversation pit", unrestrained by individual seats and lap bars. That also seemed to fit in more with the notion that it was another version of "public transportation".

FYI: Henceforth, I am appropriating your phrase "conversation pit". This phrase will prove useful over the summer months with backyard entertaining. 🤣

truecoat

The track supports are in much better condition than previously thought.

lazyboy97o

Sort of.
The High in the Seuss Trolley Train Ride was also a bit of a retrofit as well. It uses the space and portions of the supports that were built during the park’s construction for Sylvester McMonkey McBean’s Unusual Driving Machines which was supposed to be a sort of elevated Autopia with guest driven vehicles going around the land. It was only after they built the ride track that they realized it wasn’t a good idea for guests to decide when to move through an elevated track with limited egress points. When the park opened in 1999 the tracks were there but no attraction. At times vehicles with Seuss characters would be sent around the track but it wasn’t until 2006 after a new track was installed that guests finally got to ride.

BalooChicago

I’ve long wished they’d just put automated vehicles on the track, they could be small and not rideable, but would give the track a purpose, and add some motion.

The least they can do is clear the tracks of brush. In addition, the perforated metal screens on the people mover track at the monorail ramp always seems to have 6” or more of pine needles in it.

NobodyElse

When the park opened in 1999 the tracks were there but no attraction. At times vehicles with Seuss characters would be sent around the track but it wasn’t until 2006 after a new track was installed that guests finally got to ride.

I imagine there might be significant differences in code 1999-2006 Vs. 1967-2004.

I’ve long wished they’d just put automated vehicles on the track, they could be small and not rideable, but would give the track a purpose, and add some motion.

Many people have mentioned this in the past, but I've got mixed feelings. It would certainly add back some of that kinetic visual energy that the land is missing. But it might also send the message: "Sure, for years we've kept the track visibly in place for an attraction you can no longer ride, but now we've taken the time and money to add vehicles to an attraction you still can't ride". Kind of a double slap in the face.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom