Plants burned by frost starting to be removed

HM999thGhost

Original Poster
This morning while walking to get breakfast at Caribbean beach I saw some work being done on Caribbean cay removing parts of plants which have died due to this cold weather. Seems like a lot of pansies have showed up around epcot as well. The beds they were in looked freshly worked on. I'd post pictures but I'm on my phone and the work seemed to be done when I was walking back. But work has started on recovering the plant life at the resort.

dreamfinder

I remember seeing at least 1 flower bed last week with a sign saying something like "Jack Frost paid us a surprise visit. We are working hard to restore the flowers." Also, running through Animal Kingdom for the marathon they had some sections of plants surrounded by what look like scrims or sheeting on supports, and massive propane heaters blowing away on them. It was weird seeing many beds on property covered in white to protect the plants.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I remember seeing at least 1 flower bed last week with a sign saying something like "Jack Frost paid us a surprise visit. We are working hard to restore the flowers." Also, running through Animal Kingdom for the marathon they had some sections of plants surrounded by what look like scrims or sheeting on supports, and massive propane heaters blowing away on them. It was weird seeing many beds on property covered in white to protect the plants.

This kinda thing
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...autions-against-the-cold-weather-at-Epcot.htm

Texas84

Lots of greenery in bad shape at MK. Flower tarps are being removed today. They were sunning them in the BLT parking lot.

Vince3

This isn't flowers being removed this is like large green plants with the drooping leaves.
No surprise . Expect more.As a matter of fact,it's been 12 consecutive days in a row where the temp. did not reach 60.That is the longest streak in the history of Florida.:hurl:

trr1

5 days
<LI style="POSITION: relative; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #fff" class=cf right="undefined" isHoverElement="true" top="3px" editHandler="null" uid="o77">
  • Orlando, FL - Clear, 52°
    • Thursday
      28.gif

68° / 53°
    • Friday
      30.gif

72° / 59°
    • Saturday
      38.gif

77° / 61°
    • Sunday
      11.gif

71° / 52°

Phonedave

It's frost covers. Normaly it is a non-woven polypropolene sheeting.

It is suprising just how well they can protect plants. Simple tricks like watering the plant before the frost hits, covering them, and running a fan can stave off frost damage in temps as colds as 28-29 F

-dave

dreamfinder

It's frost covers. Normaly it is a non-woven polypropolene sheeting.

It is suprising just how well they can protect plants. Simple tricks like watering the plant before the frost hits, covering them, and running a fan can stave off frost damage in temps as colds as 28-29 F

-dave

They weren't frost covers. At least I don't think they were. Several locations at AK had walls up around the plants, but nothing on the plants. It may have been the same material, but didn't look like it when I ran by. Definitely looked different than the material covering the flower beds. But I was paying more attention to the ground looking for ice so I may be completely off base.

WEDMagic

I worked at AK for about 5 years some time ago as a MGR and there are certain tropical species of plants and trees that can live in Florida weather but some cant handle the low low lows.

They have these heaters that run off gas that look like little turbines and can really kick off heat. There were a few days of freeze when I was there and they walled off certain parts of the Oasis to help keep in along with the coverings.

Its actually really amazing what they can do and since some of these plants and trees are very very expensive and non native they take extra care at AK to keep them alive in the frost. Most of the other resort properties just have smaller plants and flower beds that cant handle the cold to deal with.

RiversideBunny

A few years ago, during a similar December cold spell, the many poinsettas used to decorate the front of Port Orleans Riverside, and probably at other places, were covered with cloth material to protect them.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom