Planning first trip as husband and wife

GJM724

Hi All,

I just got married in the start of the month, and have started planning our first Disney trip as a couple. This is the first time I will be to Disney outside of attending for a convention or work trip. I was thinking of going from May 11 - May 19th. Is this is a good time to visit? What have the crowds been like this time of year?

Any other suggestions for booking as a couple?

21stamps

Congratulations!!!!!!! Adult trips at Disney are so much fun, and a LOT less stressful!!!

My suggestion would be to stay at the Boardwalk Inn. Perfect location to Epcot, you can eat/drink at WS and then enjoy the Boardwalk in the evening.

LOVIN' your photo btw!!!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
Thanks! I have stayed at the Dolphin/Swan over 10 times and love that area, so it is on our list. Does boardwalk have cheaper rates different times during the year?

Congratulations!!!!!!! Adult trips at Disney are so much fun, and a LOT less stressful!!!

My suggestion would be to stay at the Boardwalk Inn. Perfect location to Epcot, you can eat/drink at WS and then enjoy the Boardwalk in the evening.

LOVIN' your photo btw!!!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Going to Disney is a great way to start off a marriage. May is a decent time to go. The weather isnt oppressively hot, high 80s, some rain possible, and crowds are lower. It does start getting busier towards the end of the month, but you should be fine with a departure date of the 19th. Mothers day is on the weekend of the 14th so there will be special pins and mothers day brunch's at various restaurants. You could turn it into a Wifes day. There is a wonderful horse drawn carriage ride at PORS, thats romantic in the evening. Disney Floral & Gifts have a variety of romantic gift packages you could order in advance to be delivered to your resort. So much a couple can do at WDW without the worries of caring for childrens needs. you can just focus on enjoying each other. Have a great time and welcome to WDWMAGIC.

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

We honeymooned at Disney 22 years ago and have been going ever since. We had many trips just the two of us and many trips as a family once we had kiddos. We've even had a few secret getaways when the kids were too young to know what was going on....LOL...those were fun time!! Now my kids a teenagers and love going to Disney as much as we do; but how could they not love it, they've vacationed there so much! Enjoy planning, you'll have a great time no matter where you stay or when you go.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Congratulations! WDW is a great place to make memories and traditions, even if you are not able to return every year. The Boardwalk is very convenient for Epcot/WS, our favorite park to chill at in the evenings. Not sure if you've been before, but I would suggest not trying to cram everything in at once- you'll want time to relax and simply enjoy. Eight days should be plenty of time to see everything without running yourself frazzled and ragged.

If your trips to WDW will be several years apart, you might want to pick up a set of wine glasses, etc to use on special occasions- a nice memory and tradition. Also, look for fun places to take pictures of yourselves so you can switch them out during the year. :happy:

Upvote 0

yensid67

Disney Parks as a married couple can be different than going with a family. There are many different things you may want to plan instead of the tradition of riding all the attractions you can! You may want to plan things outside of the parks, but still on property... a horse drawn carriage ride through Fort Wilderness, a special meal at your favorite place, a private dessert cruise on the Lagoon with views of the Magic Kingdom fireworks. If you want more ideas, you can ask for advice in here or just pick up the phone and call Disney Floral & Gifts or Reservations. Once you tell them what your trip is for, they can suggest and get you to the right people to make your trip special to last a lifetime!

Upvote 0

MissMaryEli

We honeymooned at Disney and loved it. Although then Pleasure Island was open and there were more adult things to do at night. I wish they still had those Options. As others have said, Boardwalk would be a good option if you are night owls; there are several 'bar' type options there such as the dueling piano bars. That part of May should be good to go without big crowds because the schools won't have let out by then. Later in May it gets busy as people go when school gets out. Have fun!

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
We honeymooned at Disney and loved it. Although then Pleasure Island was open and there were more adult things to do at night. I wish they still had those Options. As others have said, Boardwalk would be a good option if you are night owls; there are several 'bar' type options there such as the dueling piano bars. That part of May should be good to go without big crowds because the schools won't have let out by then. Later in May it gets busy as people go when school gets out. Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions! I wish we could stay at the Boardwalk, it just isn't in our budget for an 8 day vacation. I found a good deal with the Swan and Dolphin, but I want to use our Magicbands as much as possible

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Thanks! I have stayed at the Dolphin/Swan over 10 times and love that area, so it is on our list. Does boardwalk have cheaper rates different times during the year?

All of the resorts have different prices based on the season. You can see the dates/prices for Boardwalk for 2017 here -> http://www.mousesavers.com/2017-boardwalk-inn-room-rates-season-dates/

Have you tried pricing out DVC point rental? One place I just checked would end up running about $1900 for a studio at BWV, which would be the same as like 4 nights in a hotel room at rack rate. No idea what rates you were seeing at the Swolphin, but that may be much more competitive pricewise for you.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
All of the resorts have different prices based on the season. You can see the dates/prices for Boardwalk for 2017 here -> http://www.mousesavers.com/2017-boardwalk-inn-room-rates-season-dates/

Have you tried pricing out DVC point rental? One place I just checked would end up running about $1900 for a studio at BWV, which would be the same as like 4 nights in a hotel room at rack rate. No idea what rates you were seeing at the Swolphin, but that may be much more competitive pricewise for you.

What sites can you rent for DVC rental?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

What sites can you rent for DVC rental?

There are several, try poking around the DVC board for peoples thoughts/links. David's I believe is still a sponsor, you can visit that site here -> http://www.dvcrequest.com/?oid=70_forum-dedicated-thread. You can also rent direct from members, the cost will be slightly less, but going through a broker usually provides some sort of legal fallback in case something falls through.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I like that time to go the flower and garden festival is going on at Epcot then. I do recommend if it financially makes sense for you guys to stay at a delixe resort. My wife and I got married at WDW. We've been back twice without kids. She says we're not going again until we have a kid. But these past couple trips and even our wedding we stayed at delixe. Why it's good to do then is so you know the convenience of staying so close to the parks for future visits with or without kids. It also can be expensive once you have kids so once you stay deluxe, it will help you decide if it's worth it down the road. I also recommend doing as many nice table service reservations as you can as well as enjoy drinks in Epcot.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
I like that time to go the flower and garden festival is going on at Epcot then. I do recommend if it financially makes sense for you guys to stay at a delixe resort. My wife and I got married at WDW. We've been back twice without kids. She says we're not going again until we have a kid. But these past couple trips and even our wedding we stayed at delixe. Why it's good to do then is so you know the convenience of staying so close to the parks for future visits with or without kids. It also can be expensive once you have kids so once you stay deluxe, it will help you decide if it's worth it down the road. I also recommend doing as many nice table service reservations as you can as well as enjoy drinks in Epcot.

I have always wanted to stay at the Yacht and Beach club, and I am hoping some deals come down for the week we are staying otherwise it is out of our budget for this trip especially since we are staying 9 days.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I have always wanted to stay at the Yacht and Beach club, and I am hoping some deals come down for the week we are staying otherwise it is out of our budget for this trip especially since we are staying 9 days.

Try renting DVC points at Beach Club Villas then. Might be slightly more than the Boardwalk rentals mentioned above, but still way cheaper than paying rack rates.

Upvote 0

GJM724

Original Poster
Try renting DVC points at Beach Club Villas then. Might be slightly more than the Boardwalk rentals mentioned above, but still way cheaper than paying rack rates.

I looked that up and it is a little cheaper, and is on my radar. Can you use magic bands for tickets, opening doors, etc... with renting a DVC

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom