Planning Dinner Around the MK Fireworks Dessert Party: Recommendations, Please!

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Hello, all!

DH and I are rough-planning our spring 2018 WDW trip, and the plan is to do the Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party (Plaza Garden Viewing) as a special way to celebrate my daughter's 10th birthday, which happens to fall during our visit, on our last full day. Typically we have dinner at 'Ohana on our last night, but I'm afraid if we do that we'll be too full for dessert a couple of hours later. (We still won't skip 'Ohana - but we can conveniently do dinner there a different day.)

If you were doing (or have done) the Dessert Party, where would you (or did you) have dinner that evening, and how long before the party? Is there anywhere you'd recommend (CS or TS, Magic Kingdom or thereabouts) that would feel a little special for a child's birthday, but wouldn't fill us up with such large portions that we wouldn't be able to enjoy the party treats later? Or should we just skip dinner altogether and save room for lots of dessert?

Last edited:

correcaminos

At the resorts we have liked Kona Cafe at the Polynesian and Grand Floridian Cafe at GF. We have had room for ice cream after both right away. Inside the park we love the silliness of Skipper Canteen. It was really funny and great food. I likely would split a meal with my 9yo, but my DH didn't feel over stuffed. I'm decent at quitting while I'm ahead and just left some good on the plate while my 9yo had a kids meal. I eat small though. Others have complained the servings were too small so it might be a great option.

StarshipDisney

Having attended/enjoyed the Wishes Fireworks Dessert Party 3 times, I can only say that if you don't go there hungry, then it is somewhat of a waste because they do have a lot of good stuff to try including ice cream. 'Ohana is one of our favorites as well and we both know you are guaranteed to leave stuffed.

Since you are celebrating a birthday...it would be a nice way to end the trip. I say go for it and just eat what you can. I think 'Ohana opens at 5:00 PM if you want to eat as early as you can.

Last time we did the dessert party, we had an ADR for Be Our Guest at 4:25 PM. I had the steak and was somewhat hungry by the time we went to the party.

Last edited:

sophie_the_pooh

We are attending the Star Wars dessert party during our August 2017 trip. I had the same dilemma as you, this will be our first dessert party and I wasn't sure which plans to make for dinner... Since we all have very much of a sweet tooth (especially my son and I), we decided to have a bigger meal at lunch, probably at Sanna or Boma, since we are staying at AKL and spending the day there. We'll arrive around 5pm at DHS, see the Indiana Jones stunt show, visit the SW Launch Bay, and share a light dinner at a QS restaurant, so we are still hungry to fully enjoy the dessert party! Since you'll be celebrating your daughter's birthday, maybe planning a nicer meal for lunch would be an option. Just a suggestion!:)

Figgy1

Premium Member
What about CRT or CP for lunch and just splitting something at a qs for "dinner"? That way you still have a nice birthday meal and room for the party.

Huggups

I'd recommend maybe doing lunch instead of dinner. Personally for me, I could never eat TS dinner and then eat all those desserts after. :eek: You could always do QS for dinner or grab a dog at Casey's!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom