Planning a trip feb 5-11

roykeboy

We are currently in the process of planning our trip. We want to stay at a value resort hotel (probably movies) from February 5th-11th. We have a few questions though and hope someone here can help:

1. Our plan was to go into the parks Feb. 6,7,8,9. Is this enough for first timers? We have been to Disneyland Paris a lot, so magic kingdom will probably need less time. We can add the 10th to our park visiting time, but this means we have to drive the 1200 miles back to Missouri in 2 days and then go back to work the next morning.

2. The trip is slightly low-budget, how much should we estimate to spend on food on a daily basis? I have looked at the dinner plan, it seems you need to still buy breakfast outside of it?

3. What are the crowd levels and waiting times in early February?

4. Are Water parks too cold that time of the year?

We’re very excited about our trip, especially since we will be celebrating our anniversary while in WDW

imagineer99

roykeboy said:
We are currently in the process of planning our trip. We want to stay at a value resort hotel (probably movies) from February 5th-11th. We have a few questions though and hope someone here can help:

I hope you have a great trip! I'll try to give a little input.

roykeboy said:
1. Our plan was to go into the parks Feb. 6,7,8,9. Is this enough for first timers? We have been to Disneyland Paris a lot, so magic kingdom will probably need less time. We can add the 10th to our park visiting time, but this means we have to drive the 1200 miles back to Missouri in 2 days and then go back to work the next morning.

This is something that is difficult to determine. In my opinion, I think that four days is enough time (but I go back once a year, so my opinion is most defintely slanted). The best advice I can give you is to look at this as a vacation...so relax. To often people feel pressure to DO everything. Not only is this impossible, it makes the atmosphere claustrophobic and unfun. Enjoy yourself and see what you can. I believe that Animal Kingdom and MGM can both be accomplished in a single day (AK in the morning, MGM in the afternoon), but again this depends on your interests. I do think that for first timers, EPCOT and Magic Kingdom could take up a whole day. It also might be a good idea to spend the morning in one park and the afternoon in another. This allows you to take a midday break!

roykeboy said:
2. The trip is slightly low-budget, how much should we estimate to spend on food on a daily basis? I have looked at the dinner plan, it seems you need to still buy breakfast outside of it?

Again, this depends on what you plan on eating and where. Disney portions are usually very large. I always found a great way to save money, especially on breakfast, is to bring with you a box of granola/power bars and make that your breakfast in the morning. Then, have a small pick-me-up for lunch. At dinner, that's when you splurge and have a big meal at a nice restaurant. Similarly, you could always have a huge lunch (prices are cheaper) at a Disney restaurant to save some cash as well. One thing you have to understand is that Disney Dining is expensive--really expensive. If you plan on eating a full three meals each day, I'd budget $100 per person (to be safe). As for the dinner plan, my family's never used it, so I can't comment on. I'm sure somebody else would be glad to help...
Also, pack water. Get a huge pack at COSTCO and never have to pay the rediculous prices on property.

roykeboy said:
3. What are the crowd levels and waiting times in early February?
Crowds should be quite low to moderate. In terms of waiting, it's a great time to go! Just understand that it may get cold and that a lot of refurbishments go on at this time. I think (don't quote me) that Test Track will be under Rehab then. It's a shame, but it won't be the end-all of your trip.

roykeboy said:
4. Are Water parks too cold that time of the year?
Well, Thphoon Lagoon will be closed during your trip. I *think* Blizzard Beach will be open. The water is heated, but still it all depends on the weather. It may be warm enough. It may not.

roykeboy said:
We’re very excited about our trip, especially since we will be celebrating our anniversary while in WDW

I'm glad! Hope you have a magical time!

Upvote 0

Yanks07

This will be my 5th straight Feb. trip coming up in 06. Crowds are usually managable and you should have very little trouble. Weather is normaly around 70 getting quite cool at night. We go to the water parks every year and have never been bothered by the cool weather. When it`s 20 back home, 70 feels like summer. I think you can see all parks in 4 days, AK is an early day because there are no fireworks, so you have all eve. to see maybe World Showcase. We go in Feb., May, and Oct. every year, and Feb is my favorite trip. Best of luck and have a great time. :wave:

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

roykeboy said:
1. Our plan was to go into the parks Feb. 6,7,8,9. Is this enough for first timers? We have been to Disneyland Paris a lot, so magic kingdom will probably need less time.
The answer will depend on you and what you want from your proposed 4 days.
What do you want to get out of the trip, which rides, attractions and/or shows must you experience ? Most importantly - will you be returning to WDW in the future and therefore are there attractions that you could put off until your next visit ?
Have you taken into account crowd levels and therefore queue times (especially new attractions like Soarin') ?
I don't honestly believe that there is anything to compare DLP with MK !!
If you are considering a water park visit as part of your 4 days then you will be woefully short of time in the four main parks

If you haven't already done so - buy a decent guide book (The Unofficial Guide is my favourite) and read it cover to cover. This will give you a very good idea of what to expect, what you consider as "Must Do's" and on that basis you should be able to work out how long you need in the parks.
As a rough guide, for a first timer, I would reckon on 2 days at MK, a 1 day minimum at EPCOT, 1 day at MGM and anything up to a full day at AK

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I can comment on the dining plan, as we used it in August when we stayed at Pop Century and it was well worth it. We happened to get it for free because of a promotion disney offered, but I would definitely buy it in a heartbeat. You get one counter service, one snack and one sit down meal.

We used the counter service for breakfast each morning and for that meal, we were entitled to the entry, pastry and drink which after eating all that we were stuffed. We purchased mugs at the resort to use for breakfast and other times as this turns out to be a good deal overall. By buying the mugs and using them at breakfast, we were still entitled to a drink so we would get a bottle of water to take to the parks with us. Because we had this huge breakfast, we weren't hungry to have a fully lunch, just wanted a snack and were able to use one of our snacks for most things.

We made reservations for all the restaurants ahead of time, so we were able to eat in Le Cellier which would have cost easily $50 a person, Chef de France, another place that would have easily cost $40 or more. With the sit down you are entitled to appetizer, entree, dessert and coffee and soft drink.

So considering your only paying $37 for the meal plan, you more than make up the money in one sit down meal alone and you will also be able to eat decent meals, not just burgers and junk. A counter service meal generally runs about $10, a snack $3, so you can see how this can be a good deal.

If you go on www.allears.net you will be able to look at the menu's for various places and get a sense of food costs.

Upvote 0

luna99

wow, thanks for the info on the dining plan. I've never gotten it because it seemed like a waste of money, but I guess it's a good deal!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Not sure what part of MO. your coming from, but we easily do the drive in 18-20 hrs from WDW to Il, other side of the Mississippi from St.Louis. If it were us, we'd opt for that extra day at Disney.

Lots of options to save a buck or two, eat a late lunch at an all you can eat buffet, Disney gives lots of options on this and a late lunch will be cheaper than a dinner.

Upvote 0

jackiepetrillo

Budgeting Dining

I hope you have a magical time no matter what plan you choose.
I can tell you what we do perhaps it will help you. We eat one meal a day in the park Dinner. Breakast is cereal or breakfast bar in our room, we get a snack around 11ish in the parks like MC Donalds French Fries or popcorn, and then we go back to our room for an afternoon 3 hr break/nap or pool or both. Have lunch like a sandwich or a salad that we stopped at Walmart and bought the stuff the first day. Dinner is the biggie and yummmiesssssssst and of course we want to go back in the parks so we have an early dinner and try to end the night by 11 ish so we can be back in the parks and able to enjoy it yet another day.'The break is essential for us.
Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Mallen19

thanks from me too !

this has been helpful as we are going in feb as well. Ususally we go in June, so one final question is how does the humidity compare June to Feb - as to be honest its a bit too humid for us in June

Upvote 0

iluvtigger

We are going in Feb.as well. I live in Florida so the water parks are a little cold for me, but for someone coming from up north, it might be just fine. I think you should have no problem doing the parks in 4 days. You could always add Blizzard Beach in the afternoon after a day at Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom