Plan to Roll Out Electronic Version of DAS at WDW?

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
Well it appears that the entitlement mentality in Anaheim has reared its ugly head again with regards to Disney’s disability pass. MiceChat is reporting widespread fraud and abuse with the DAS system to a point where the current paper card will be replaced with an electronic version and linked to your park ticket or Annual Pass. Why am I not surprised this happened in California and especially given who is solely entitled to the DAS now?

DAS a New One
As if all that isn’t keeping the parks Cast Members busy enough in what used to be a slow season, another important initiative is being rolled out just before Thanksgiving. The plan to roll out an electronic version of the Disability Access Service (DAS) cards begins later this week, with a go-live date of November 19th. Instead of a paper card filled in by hand at Guest Relations kiosks around the park, the new DAS system will be electronic and linked to your park ticket or Annual Pass.

Guest Relations Cast Members with handheld scanner tablets at the kiosks will assign an entry time to every park ticket linked to the DAS ticket holder, and then Attractions Cast Members at the receiving attraction will scan each park ticket and confirm on their tablet that those guests are allowed to enter at that time. Once the tickets have been scanned at the attraction, the system would then allow the visitors to return to a kiosk for the next DAS attraction time.
The goal here is to eliminate the widespread DAS fraud and abuse that has increased dramatically at the Anaheim parks. The DAS system at WDW is seeing smaller levels of abuse and fraud, but the problems are rampant and at their most blatant in Anaheim. The new electronic version will force all DAS holders to declare in advance the exact people who are in their party, and then all of those people will have their ticket or AP electronically linked by Guest Relations to the person who has the DAS privileges. Each park ticket or AP will only be allowed to be linked to one DAS ticket holder at a time, thus eliminating the growing practice of families or groups of friends collecting multiple DAS cards and then rounding up multiple ride entries at a time for the entire group.

The electronic format will also prevent the growing practice of altering or writing in your own return times on the paper cards, and forging the stamps and code words used by Guest Relations on those cards. The rubber stamps themselves have even been stolen from the kiosks many times in recent months. The electronic DAS format is designed to put an end to that fraud and establish tighter control over the system. The separate Make-A-Wish program that allows instant access to attractions won’t be changed.
Okay, that just about wraps things up for this update. Are you ready for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot to freeze over this winter? Are the upcoming changes to DAS at good thing? Will Fantasmic Fastpasses help our hinder your viewing of the show? Let us know your thoughts below.

http://micechat.com/85860-miceage-update-bridge-to-nowhere/

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Well it appears that the entitlement mentality in Anaheim has reared its ugly head again with regards to Disney’s disability pass. MiceChat is reporting widespread fraud and abuse with the DAS system to a point where the current paper card will be replaced with an electronic version and linked to your park ticket or Annual Pass. Why am I not surprised this happened in California and especially given who is solely entitled to the DAS now?

DAS a New One
As if all that isn’t keeping the parks Cast Members busy enough in what used to be a slow season, another important initiative is being rolled out just before Thanksgiving. The plan to roll out an electronic version of the Disability Access Service (DAS) cards begins later this week, with a go-live date of November 19th. Instead of a paper card filled in by hand at Guest Relations kiosks around the park, the new DAS system will be electronic and linked to your park ticket or Annual Pass.

Guest Relations Cast Members with handheld scanner tablets at the kiosks will assign an entry time to every park ticket linked to the DAS ticket holder, and then Attractions Cast Members at the receiving attraction will scan each park ticket and confirm on their tablet that those guests are allowed to enter at that time. Once the tickets have been scanned at the attraction, the system would then allow the visitors to return to a kiosk for the next DAS attraction time.
The goal here is to eliminate the widespread DAS fraud and abuse that has increased dramatically at the Anaheim parks. The DAS system at WDW is seeing smaller levels of abuse and fraud, but the problems are rampant and at their most blatant in Anaheim. The new electronic version will force all DAS holders to declare in advance the exact people who are in their party, and then all of those people will have their ticket or AP electronically linked by Guest Relations to the person who has the DAS privileges. Each park ticket or AP will only be allowed to be linked to one DAS ticket holder at a time, thus eliminating the growing practice of families or groups of friends collecting multiple DAS cards and then rounding up multiple ride entries at a time for the entire group.

The electronic format will also prevent the growing practice of altering or writing in your own return times on the paper cards, and forging the stamps and code words used by Guest Relations on those cards. The rubber stamps themselves have even been stolen from the kiosks many times in recent months. The electronic DAS format is designed to put an end to that fraud and establish tighter control over the system. The separate Make-A-Wish program that allows instant access to attractions won’t be changed.
Okay, that just about wraps things up for this update. Are you ready for the Hollywood Pictures Backlot to freeze over this winter? Are the upcoming changes to DAS at good thing? Will Fantasmic Fastpasses help our hinder your viewing of the show? Let us know your thoughts below.

http://micechat.com/85860-miceage-update-bridge-to-nowhere/
Struck a nerve a tad bit? Well, tomorrow is a new day....

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
Struck a nerve a tad bit? Well, tomorrow is a new day....

Was I typing too fast because I really don't get the meaning of your reply? If you would actually read what I wrote, you would conclude that I am for a crackdown on the abuse of the DAS by the same people who abused the GAC (yet were somehow the only group who was afforded with this special pass). Oh, and this same group is suing Disney for violation of ADA when Disney took away their unlimited front of the line pass (otherwise known as the GAC). Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!! This is what Disney gets for tossing the truly disabled to the wayside and kowtowing to a group who were the ones who abused the disability passes in the first place. HA, HA, HA, HA!!!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Was I typing too fast because I really don't get the meaning of your reply? If you would actually read what I wrote, you would conclude that I am for a crackdown on the abuse of the DAS by the same people who abused the GAC (yet were somehow the only group who was afforded with this special pass). Oh, and this same group is suing Disney for violation of ADA when Disney took away their unlimited front of the line pass (otherwise known as the GAC). Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!! This is what Disney gets for tossing the truly disabled to the wayside and kowtowing to a group who were the ones who abused the disability passes in the first place. HA, HA, HA, HA!!!
No, I've read this thread and your other comments, scintillating as they were. Of course, passing judgment on those you don't know is nearly always amusing. Nearly....

Tom Morrow

At least with DAS abuse, you don't have everyone and their mother using a card for unlimited Fastpass access, and riding attractions that have a long wait over and over. Still, great news, anything to stop the entitled, cheating large portion of Disney park guests is fine by me.

Unplugged

Not trying to start any arguments, just stating there are some potential pluses to using DAS linked with MagicBands at WDW.
  • It can be scanned and used by FP+ hardware so times are easier to enforce.
  • Kiosks can apply the different DAS rules to DAS enabled bands & linked families.
  • Could be a plus for any folks in need of the DAS bothered by the bright strobe photo flashes would be auto-disabled when the ride reads their bands.
  • A trivial benefit is that long term, general people will not see the paper come out, so they'll think less of it and fewer "not entitled" people will ask about it over time.
I know there are many more things I'm not thinking of, but I'm not trying to Imagineer a solution, just pointing out some potential good that could come of this.

CJR

There are so many benefits to the electronic system that I'm honestly surprised that it took them this long to move forward with it. In WDW, it will work almost seamlessly with the MDE app. Here's hoping for a smooth roll out!

rct247

It was one of the original goals with GAC/DAS and MyMagic+ but it was said to be years away from going live. Hope it transitions smoothly because I really think this will be a win win for everyone. That along with each lawsuit being tried individually, the results may be that some families may get some added extra benefits to the system, but with it all be digital, it can be tailored to those guests a little better without have to train Cast Members on a who bunch of different scenarios. Basically, Guest Relations would enable their MDX account to make selections with return times like normal at at kiosk or on their phone, and all the attraction CMs would do is treat it like Fastpass. Regular guests wouldn't even know the difference.

Gomer

Link it in with FP+. This is what those who use it, like myself, have been clamoring for since the change from GAC. Excellent progress and great news ( you know...outside of the OP's attempt to rile people up and rev up the hatewagon).

stevebwv

Simple solution, make all queue's wheelchair accessible. If there is an autistic child have a room they can wait in until their place in the queue is ready to load as opposed to waiting in the queue. Only one adult may wait with the child. If there is a second adult they must wait in the queue.

I don't understand why they make it so complicated.

Gomer

Simple solution, make all queue's wheelchair accessible. If there is an autistic child have a room they can wait in until their place in the queue is ready to load as opposed to waiting in the queue. Only one adult may wait with the child. If there is a second adult they must wait in the queue.

Much like FP+, I think Disney prefers the DAS method. If they stick me in a room for 90 minutes with my son, we'll be fine but we won't be spending.

RSoxNo1

In many cases this simply doesn't work. With all the stimulation available in the parks, "sitting in a room" isn't realistic for many autistic people. I do think the DAS card is more than reasonable, I just want them to digitize it. Put it on the smartphones and put it on the kiosks.

BuzzKillington

Original Poster
I wonder how this will affect the lawsuit over GAC.
I don't think it will because this does not address the FOTL FastPass that the GAC afforded these people and what they are suing Disney over. However, what will affect the lawsuit is that the federal court has ordered the families to file separate lawsuits as opposed to a class action-type lawsuit. I wonder if this attorney is regretting filing now because I could not imagine the workload this will create for them. :)

Families in Disney's Disability Access lawsuit must file separately
Leah Zanolla | Posted: Oct 31, 2014 | Updated: Oct 31, 2014 - 11:52:46 AM The federal court in Florida has ordered each of the families suing Disney over DAS to file separate lawsuits.

On October 30, the federal court in Orlando ordered the DAS families to file separate lawsuits. The ruling explained that the current 171-page lawsuit consists of 14 families and the amended complaint would add 30 more families each seeking relief under multiple legal theories. But numbers alone were not the reason for splitting up the lawsuits. The court cited "great variations" in the factual circumstances underlying the claims of each family:

The developmentally disabled Plaintiffs face differing cognitive impairments - ADHD, autism, Down syndrome, etc. - and their symptoms manifest in different ways and in response to different stimuli. Some of the families appear to own Disney annual passes, and encounter DAS frequently, while others claim to have visited a Disney park on only one occasion. The common law allegations are similarly diverse: some families bought one-time-use tickets, sustaining economic damages of only a few hundred dollars, while other families own Disney timeshares or annual passes, or spent thousands of dollars on a Disney vacation. Some Plaintiffs visited Disneyland, in California, while most visited Disney World, in Orlando. . . . While there are certain common factual issues, each family will need to present individualized proof to succeed on their claims. A single action involving 211 claims and 95 plaintiffs is too unwieldy for such an undertaking. Continuing this case as a single action would present additional problems: trial would be a logistical nightmare, and the Plaintiffs would have a more difficult time maintaining their privacy. For these reasons, severing each family's claims best serves judicial economy and the interests of justice.

Permitting the case to continue as a single action would result in a "logistical nightmare" of a trial and make it more difficult for each of the plaintiffs to maintain their privacy. The court gave each family (including the families who wanted to join the lawsuit) until November 21, 2014, to file a separate complaint.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General...ility_Access_lawsuit_must_file_separately.htm

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom