Pixar Stock Surges on Deal Rumor

GrimGhost

Original Poster
From the Los Angeles Times

Pixar Stock Surges on Deal Rumor

By Claudia Eller and Richard Verrier | Times Staff Writers
Posted January 5, 2006

Pixar Animation Studios shares soared to a record high Wednesday amid speculation that the company behind "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles" is on the verge of a new deal with — and possibly sale to — longtime partner Walt Disney Co.

The nearly 8% jump in Pixar's stock, to $58.16 a share, comes as Chief Executive Steve Jobs and Disney Chief Executive Robert Iger have been negotiating to extend their companies' long-term distribution pact that ends this summer with the release of Pixar's "Cars."

Recent talks have focused increasingly on Disney acquiring part or all of Pixar, two sources close to the matter said Wednesday. In that scenario, Jobs would become a major Disney shareholder and possibly the company's chairman. The sources would not speak on the record because talks were ongoing.

The sale speculation became feverish Wednesday afternoon on Wall Street, causing Pixar stock to jump $4.20 in heavy trading. That increased the value of Jobs' controlling stake by $250 million to nearly $3.5 billion.

"The activity in the stock today indicates to us that the market believes that some type of announcement is imminent, whether it's a new distribution deal or something broader in scope," said media analyst Michael Savner of Banc of America Securities.

Disney spokeswoman Zenia Mucha said that negotiations were continuing between the two companies and that there was "nothing new to report." A Pixar executive declined to comment.

Buying Pixar would put Disney on the fast track to reclaiming the animation crown it held for decades but lost to Pixar and rival DreamWorks Animation SKG as the public embraced computer animation.

After releasing such lackluster and traditional animated fare as "Treasure Planet" and "Home on the Range," Disney remade its unit to produce only computer-generated films. Its latest release, "Chicken Little," has grossed a respectable $132.3 million domestically.

Still, it failed to match the kind of success enjoyed by Pixar, which has produced six blockbusters in six tries, including the "Toy Story" films, "A Bug's Life" and "Monsters, Inc."

Under their partnership, Pixar produces the movies and Disney markets and distributes them worldwide for a fee.

The two companies split all costs and profits. Pixar wants a deal from Disney or another studio that would allow it to keep the profits from its films while paying the studio only a distribution fee.

Negotiations to extend the current deal reached a standstill in January 2004 amid tension between Jobs and former Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner. Since being named as Eisner's successor last spring, Iger has made forging a new Pixar deal a top priority.

A full acquisition would be a large bite, however, even for a media giant the size of Disney. Pixar's market value is already nearly $7 billion, and Disney would undoubtedly have to pay a premium for the Emeryville, Calif.-based company.

Analysts are asking whether Disney isn't better off making a new distribution deal. Some note that a sale would possibly dilute Disney's value because its shares sell at a much lower price-to-earnings ratio than Pixar's. Disney's stock on Wednesday fell 41 cents, or 1.7%, to $23.99.

"To the extent that Disney will pay $7 billion or more, it seems like an extremely large sum of money given that it already controls the sequel rights and existing films that Pixar created," independent media analyst Richard Greenfield said.

However, Greenfield added, much hinges on how confident Disney is in its upcoming slate of animated films.

"If you're scared that these films are going to be flops," Greenfield said, "maybe it's the right strategic decision."

For Jobs, selling Pixar may allow him to focus on running Apple Computer Inc., which is riding the popularity of its iPod products.

Other analysts are skeptical that Jobs would be willing to part with Pixar, which he bought in 1986 from George Lucas for $10 million. Over the years, Jobs and Pixar's creative guru, John Lasseter, a former Disney animator, established a unique culture that gives artists a wide degree of creative freedom that large studios rarely grant.

"I'd be very surprised if Steve Jobs gave up control of Pixar," said analyst Anthony Valencia of Los Angeles-based TCW Group, Pixar's largest institutional shareholder. "What's the upside for him?"

Times staff writer Kim Christensen contributed to this report.

Jose Eber

Funny, I head this rumour about a month ago and didn't do anything with Disney's stock (as advised against it).

Should have bought some of Pixar's! DURRR didn't see that happen.

ssidiouss@mac.c

Steve Jobbs is pure quality.. he cares more about creating than anything else. Any deal that brings him closer to Disney World would be a great thing. If he worked more closely with Disney maybe he could have some type of influence eventually on raising Disney Quality. I would love to see a Pixar Park as a 5th gate only if Jobbs designed it himself. It would be the most pristine and beautiful park in existence.. of course it would probably run over budget.. but it would be something brilliant.

Lynx04

While I don't like the idea of Jobbs being chairman, I do think it would be a great idea for Disney to purchase Pixar. After all, Disney did have the opportunity to purchase it from Lucas and turned it down. Having said that, I would rather have Jobbs be the chairman rather then the CEO, I am extremely happy that didn't happen.

Mannoroth

ssidiouss@mac.c said:
Steve Jobbs is pure quality.. he cares more about creating than anything else. Any deal that brings him closer to Disney World would be a great thing. If he worked more closely with Disney maybe he could have some type of influence eventually on raising Disney Quality. I would love to see a Pixar Park as a 5th gate only if Jobbs designed it himself. It would be the most pristine and beautiful park in existence.. of course it would probably run over budget.. but it would be something brilliant.

I'm sorry, I hate to be negative in my first post, but everything you posted here is wrong.

Jobs is a horrible CEO. Quality? No. His products are trendy, but garbage. The ipod does nothing special, nor do most of their products. Pixars movies have been great, but that isn't because of Jobs, its because they have talented people working inside Pixar. Jobs is the reason the previous deal stalled. He tried to take Disney's advantage away and get money from the sales of the movies under the previous deal, and Eisner, being a smart businessman, didn't allow it. Only on the internet will you find people that like someone who tries to reneg on deals with a company they profess they "love".

hakunamatata said:
Could be the best thing to happen to Disney since Eisner retired...

Hakuna, you're awesome, I usually agree with you ... but I hope this was a sarcastic statement. Disney stock is lower since Eisner left the company.

Jose Eber said:
Funny, I head this rumour about a month ago and didn't do anything with Disney's stock (as advised against it).

Should have bought some of Pixar's! DURRR didn't see that happen.

Don't worry, Pixar's stock price was already too high.

Lynx04 said:
While I don't like the idea of Jobbs being chairman, I do think it would be a great idea for Disney to purchase Pixar. After all, Disney did have the opportunity to purchase it from Lucas and turned it down. Having said that, I would rather have Jobbs be the chairman rather then the CEO, I am extremely happy that didn't happen.

Pixar's stock value is too high for that to be a good purchase. A deal similar to the one expiring with Cars is plenty good enough. Jobs doesn't deserve a high position within TWDC. As I said, he tried to extort them on the Pixar deal, and he is taking them to the bank on the video sales (WDC gets about 33% of the sale of their material through itunes, the rest Apple keeps.) Disney needs to get the deal done with Pixar for the movies, then move to google's video service. Hopefully thats what Iger has planned, using the itunes deal for a bargaining chip. I don't think he's that smart, however.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I'd hate to break it to you but the Ipod is not junk. The product is wonderful and even the packaging was superior. THEY PUT EVERYTHING IN SURGICAL STERILE PACKAGING!!! That tells me that they care and they want everything to arrive to its location in perfect condition, and because their products are trendy you have 3rd party companies who want to deal with them making accessories that compete against each other IE better quality, lower prices

Jose Eber

^^^

Umm. Jobs a horrible CEO? Since you value leadership based on stock price (see your Eisner example) based on stock price for Apple: Jobs has done what over the last few years since he got back to the company? :rolleyes:

Just because you don't understand Steve's products or his way of business doesn't make him stupid. It just means you don't understand his way of business (iPods are crap -- 30 million people are all stupid who bought them right? You're the smart one and didn't).

Steve was smart enough to buy Pixar from Lucas and is smart enough to make the right kind of movie (although frankly I didn't like incrediblez, I know I'm probably in a minority here with that -- Cars doesn't look too great either per trailer).

Steve cares about doing things 'right'. And that usually means being the laughingstock at the beginning of his career and raking it in at the end. People are only now grasping the significance of him holding to his guns after, what 30 years?! He makes the whole package and is the ONLY one to do so in the computer industry. Talk about quality control. Talk about foresight and brand management.

Now, I don't agree with everything he does or how he does it, but you have to give credit where credit is due. He is by no means a horrible CEO.

I'm looking forward to what he offers us on Tuesday with his Keynote. If there is any merit to the plasma display rumors, yikes!

Google video is great, and I like the company but their video setup as it is now isn't the best. There are LOADS of copyright infringed material on their site. Its not good.

And their material isn't portable or storable right now (that could easily change, it better).

Not saying Apple's video solution is the cat's meow (HD or better quality please), but both could learn to improve things. With Steve Jobs I can see that, with google, not too sure yet, those guys are still 'young'.

J.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
mmmmm the product most associated with that type of device is junk? How succesful would it have been if it was actually any good?

Is that the sound of axes being ground?

Jose Eber

Pumbas Nakasak said:
mmmmm the product most associated with that type of device is junk? How succesful would it have been if it was actually any good?

I like that sort of thinking! lol. What would have happened if the ipod wasn't crap .... Hmmm....

Pumbas Nakasak said:
mmmmm the product most associated with that type of device is junk?

Quantity doesn't equal quality. Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. That certainly doesn't make it a pleasant place to shop.

Teenchy

ThreeCircles said:
Quantity doesn't equal quality. Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. That certainly doesn't make it a pleasant place to shop.

AMEN!

I would finish my post but I'm off to KMART!:lol:

Main Street USA

ThreeCircles said:
This comment doesn't even apply to the iPod sales. It's a totally different scenario. People choose the iPod because of it's eye appeal and functionality. They certainly aren't saving any money. In fact, they're spending more. They're paying for the quality and eye appeal in droves.

Wal-mart's success is based on quantity and cheap prices...which has no comparability to the iPod's success whatsoever. Not sure where you came up with that one.

Huge Dreamer

ThreeCircles said:

I don't know but any place I can get the same product cheaper is a pleasant place to shop to me, now only if I could find a place to park.

Did you miss the post that I quoted along with the point?

If you re-read the post that I quoted you'll see that it tries to draw a connection between the populariy of the ipod and the quality of the product. In other words: Just because they're popular they are of good quality.

That doesn't always hold true as in the case between Walmart and quality.

(I'm not suggesting ipods are good or not as I don't really care. I'm just pointing out the illogical argument that because something is popular it's good.)

Hope this helps you out a bit! ;)

Main Street USA

Still, the only point you've made is that "quantity doesn't equal quality." This still doesn't apply, in any way, to the ipod. His point was that the quantity of iPod sales are huge. The "quantity doesn't equal quality" doesn't apply to that scenario, regardless of what product we're all speaking of.

You also chose not to use the second line of his post, which clearly states his point. "I wonder how successful it would have been if it were actually any good?" Looming large in this specific case, even further dismissing the "quantity doesn't equal quantity" argument, is the FACT that the iPod is a great product. If it were not, it wouldn't be half as successful as it has been. If that argument applied, it would mean that people are buying iPods because there is a large quantity, which makes absolutely no sense.

Um, no... He actually implied a link between quantity and quality. Why else would he suggest that the "product most associated with that type of device" is "junk"???

Let's break it down:

"Product most associated with that type of device" [this would be the quantity] is "junk" [that would be quality].

Ummm... Yeah.

Main Street USA

Ugh, nevermind. It was what YOU wrote that doesn't apply to the conversation. He was referring to a specific item. You're the only one who isn't. Ummmm, Yeah. Ya'll have a good one. I was just reminded 3 times over why I don't bother posting anymore.

Waste of my time and finger muscles. I'm happy with the bulkiness of my fingers as they are. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom