Pixar overlay of Universe of Energy - Supply me a rope?

flashinghelmet

Original Poster
Ok, before you all jump at me and scream and shout, and throw me into room 101 with Stitch meets the tikis et al. Let's take a side step here.

This may have already been discussed, if so I apologise.

Right, lets imagine that there was no laugh floor. Lets say there was no hated nemo attraction on the otherside of future world. Lets say there wasn't even a pixar place and possiblle Monsters Coaster on the cards. Ok now i know some of you anti-Pixar-swapping people will have trouble doing this, but please humour me.

Right, are our heads free of Randall-esq thoughts? Jolly good. Now, Universe of Energy is old. UoE is tired. UoE well is just a little bit drab. Now i do like the ride. I like the whole idea. I like the crappy dinosaurs. I like Ellen (to some extent). But it's simply not drawing in the crowds. A bit of a wasted space.

Ellen, although still in the spotlight, and white suit too, is perhaps not at the forefront of the minds of our youth. Especially not out of the US of A.

If Disney were to redesign, slightly, i believe Monsters Inc would actually be a very good overlay, that would work. You can keep all the elements. You can practically keep the whole story. But just replace Ellen and the prof with Mike and Sulley? It would make the ride more family friendly, bring in the crowds, provide a little more humour, (Mike fending off a dinosaur, monsters fighting monsters). It could all work.

But most of all the actual ideas wouldnt need to change. It can still be Mike learning about energy as an alternative source to laughter/screams. He can still be on jeopardy....maybe even hosted by Roz.

I just can imagine it. I like it in my mind.

You guys will probably hate it.

In fact the idea was jokingly said in another thread. But the more i thought about it, the more in really does work. Unlike other overlays which take away from the magic and classicness of it all.

I guess i should just say ''shoot me now?''

heliumalias

I see where you're going but I'd probably never go to it. UoE became far more interesting once they added the Ellen bit to it (and I'm not from the US). I remember it being sleep inducing before that (particularly the end) I only went because of the dinosaurs and now that AK is here that element really isn't a selling point. They probably are best scrapping the whole thing but I think there's going to be too much Monster's inc stuff already.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm sorry...But a "fantasy" energy source makes no sence in a Pavilion dedicated to our future energy sources.

And nor does it belong in EPCOT.

flashinghelmet

Original Poster
I'm sorry...But a "fantasy" energy source makes no sence in a Pavilion dedicated to our future energy sources.

And nor does it belong in EPCOT.

I don't think you understood my idea, or perhaps i didnt explain properly. I'm not talking about Mike going out and looking at screams and laughter. I'm talking about him going into the Human world to look at the energy sources on offer to rival Laughter/screams. Like I said, not really changing the ride, but simply putting in a different protagonist in to replace Ellen.

Say for example it's Monsters Inc. staff quiz on energy and the human world...but Mike only knows about Laughter. Falls asleep in the Ellen fashion and boom! Now we have children engaged, learning about alternative energy sources. Lightens up a dreary ride. Very few major changes needed....

Lucky

The problem with Ellen is not that she's old. Aerosmith is old, and that doesn't hurt Rock 'n Roller Coaster.

The problem is that her script is painfully, embarrassingly not funny. With a bad enough script it doesn't matter who you put in there - Mike, Sully, Jay Leno - it will fail.

Worst of all you're trapped in there for 45 minutes. At least with Stitch you're out of there in 15 minutes.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The Epcot purist in me screams "OH GOD NO!!!!" but the practical side of me says yes...do a character based overlay...it will draw more crowds and can get the message across. The current attraction it tired and outdated and really needs some new life. I liked the Monstors inc tie in idea as on the surface the movie seemed to be about energy but I think Wall-E could work a little better. But I hear there are already plans for him to take over another piece of WDW real estate so that might be out.

What I would love to see is an original concept but I think attractions not based on a current franchise have all but gone the way of the Dinosaur.

EPCOT Explorer

I don't think you understood my idea, or perhaps i didnt explain properly. I'm not talking about Mike going out and looking at screams and laughter. I'm talking about him going into the Human world to look at the energy sources on offer to rival Laughter/screams. Like I said, not really changing the ride, but simply putting in a different protagonist in to replace Ellen.

Say for example it's Monsters Inc. staff quiz on energy and the human world...but Mike only knows about Laughter. Falls asleep in the Ellen fashion and boom! Now we have children engaged, learning about alternative energy sources. Lightens up a dreary ride. Very few major changes needed....
Sorry if I misunderstood...

Still...Must it be fantasy based?:shrug:Do we constantly need movie characters telling us?Why not a original one?

That works well over in JII...
The Epcot purist in me screams "OH GOD NO!!!!" but the practical side of me says yes...do a character based overlay...it will draw more crowds and can get the message across. The current attraction it tired and outdated and really needs some new life. I liked the Monstors inc tie in idea as on the surface the movie seemed to be about energy but I think Wall-E could work a little better. But I hear there are already plans for him to take over another piece of WDW real estate so that might be out.

What I would love to see is an original concept but I think attractions not based on a current franchise have all but gone the way of the Dinosaur.
I dunno...I hope not.Look at SSE or Soarin' or even M:S...Why not make it a true "Energy Adventure"?

Maaayyybeee...A bit more "simulator-y" but one that highlights the need for more energy in our lives.Start out with a Preshow much like the old one that shows all forms of energy in the world around us.Then, actually send us back in time to witness and collect this energy?

It could work.:cool:

sarabi

Actually, what I like best about UoE is the Ellen and Bill Nye preshow. The ride and movie itself is kinda dated. Don't get me wrong.. the theater splitting apart was pure genius... in its time. But the ride feels like a very slow stroll through my local museum.

EPCOT Explorer

Actually, what I like best about UoE is the Ellen and Bill Nye preshow. The ride and movie itself is kinda dated. Don't get me wrong.. the theater splitting apart was pure genius... in its time. But the ride feels like a very slow stroll through my local museum.

I strongly think that the current ride system is gonna be gone come next refurb.:cry:

I-4Warrior

This could be tragic!

I'm greatly conflicted here. I have been on Ellen's Energy Adventure probably a dozen times and the old Universe of Energy a handful of times as well. I only went on the incarnations once each to experience the ride. The other times were to get out of the summer sun and take a nice 40+ minute nap in the dark and a/c. If they put in an attraction that will hold my attention, I may lose my favorite place to take a mid-day slumber.

Silvermist

The problem with Ellen is not that she's old. Aerosmith is old, and that doesn't hurt Rock 'n Roller Coaster.

The problem is that her script is painfully, embarrassingly not funny. With a bad enough script it doesn't matter who you put in there - Mike, Sully, Jay Leno - it will fail.

Worst of all you're trapped in there for 45 minutes. At least with Stitch you're out of there in 15 minutes.

That's the biggest problem of all. It's way, way, way too long! Every ride at WDW, I exit going awww man that was way too short...over too quickly. At UOE it just goes on and on. Love the moving theater but the only part we enjoy is the ride through the dinosaurs. That's very good. The rest, not so much. And it is especially boring for the younger set. I've always been a big fan of the thought provoking, imagination stirring, inspiring themes of Epcot, but there has to be a better way of presenting it besides what they have now and surely they can do it without any characters!

I agree they need to completely redo this attraction with a new theme and focus on the possibilities for the future and all forms of energy, not just so called fossil fuel.

EPCOT Explorer

That's the biggest problem of all. It's way, way, way too long! Every ride at WDW, I exit going awww man that was way too short...over too quickly. At UOE it just goes on and on. Love the moving theater but the only part we enjoy is the ride through the dinosaurs. That's very good. The rest, not so much. And it is especially boring for the younger set. I've always been a big fan of the thought provoking, imagination stirring, inspiring themes of Epcot, but there has to be a better way of presenting it besides what they have now and surely they can do it without any characters!

I agree they need to completely redo this attraction with a new theme and focus on the possibilities for the future and all forms of energy, not just so called fossil fuel.

Very true!:sohappy:

You get it.:D

Lucky

The ride is the only redeeming feature. The Ellen parts are tedious and embarrassing. There's nothing worse than someone trying to be funny and failing miserably, over and over and over for an excruciating 45 minutes.

EPCOT Explorer

The ride is the only redeeming feature. The Ellen parts are tedious and embarrassing. There's nothing worse than someone trying to be funny and failing miserably, over and over and over for an excruciating 45 minutes.
Awww...I've always thought the humor was cute.:eek::lol:

But I would rather have a REAL adventure come like I posted earlier...Keep the Dino-rama:)drevil::lol:) and maybe enumerate on a original ride concept...Rail and track switchings.;)

hokielutz

I get your idea, and if Ellen and Bill Nuy were not doing it already... I'd say go for it. It would probably be funny, but I think a new and orginal show is needed. UoE is one of the last remaining Future World pavillions that has not been completely made-over and has served as a great place to run to during hot sunny days. But the show is in need of some original polishing. And for a current events tie-in energy is at the forefront of many folks minds.

No real knock on the Ellen and Bill Nuy presentation. It is not completely outdated, but most of the ride-through show is dated. It is still cute... but its lifecycle is drawing to a close.

Maybe this is something to shoot at for the 30th EPCOT anniversary?

Lucky

Awww...I've always thought the humor was cute.:eek::lol:

But I would rather have a REAL adventure come like I posted earlier...Keep the Dino-rama:)drevil::lol:) and maybe enumerate on a original ride concept...Rail and track switchings.;)
Now that's a great idea. It should go backward up a hill in the dark. You'd get just a brief, terrifying glimpse of Ellen without the long Jeopardy dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom