Pirates the Ride

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Pirates of the Caribbean Rehab

I think that the ride should have a rehab. I do not think they should change the original concept becuase it was walts, but i do think that most of the pirates should be redone to be more lifelike like the witch in the gmr. anyway, i think that jack sparrow should be added, and the story line should follow the curse of the black pearl, and you also see the skeletons fighting on a ship. i think this would give pirates something new for those of us who have seen it a million times, but keep its originality, but enhance it for newcomers to somthing familiar.

have a DISNEY day

Shaman

A rehab would seem like a logical next step, since the movie (based on the attraction) is out in theaters and seemingly doing great. The only problem with that, is that if indeed this movie becomes a mega blockbuster, then sequels will be in the works. So then the problem would be how in the world would they fit the ride to the sequels.

I've seen the movie, and I really don't see how they can make sequels and still keep it based on the ride itself (unless an extensive rehab is done). After seeing the movie I had a problem with the movie protraying some pirates as good and others as bad...while in the ride...they are all bad...or so it would seem.

That being said, it would be nice to see a battle with the Black Pearl and the Interceptor (like on the movie) in the ride like around the area where we see the cannon fire fight at the beginning of the ride when the fort is firing at the pirate ship. It would also be nice if the cursed pirates somehow are added...maybe to the parts in the cave (maybe even making skeleton hands come up from the water)...Should the animatronics resemble the characters in the movie?...that depends on what they want to make the Pirates ride into...a ride based on the movie...or keep the ride the source of the movie (the animatronics should look more life like though...that should be priority number one).

I personally think that some characters like Jack Sparrow and Capt. Barbossa can be added at not risk of losing the Walt Disney factor...and the cursed pirates would give the ride a fresh breath of air. I would also look for gradual changes in the future to the attraction leading to one great one...but thats just my opinion.
:brick:

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
routine is boring

while i do understand the importance of keeping the ride the way it is, think about the legacy factor. we are only a small group of people who visit the wdw resort, and while we cherish the rides, a great majority couldn't give a flip. this in mind, the general audience will not want to ride it 30 times and see the same thing over and over. that is why a rehab will make our original version timeless, a legacy and something to remember, while we can enjoy the same premise of the ride, but with newer technology the ride could be so much more awesome. if walt were still alive, he would want to progress. (i feel like he would at least) i don't think walt would let rides stagnate over decades without rehabs and changing little pieces here and there. i think the ride should still be pirates pilaging, plundering, rifling and drinking up me hardies yo ho, but incorporating a twist to the story line to reflect the movie would not be so bad. the imagineers could surely find a way to shine some moonlight into a scene and a pirate leaning forawrd would turn to a skeleton. and while you are correct about all the pirates being "bad guys" they are not necessarily villains that should be made to look evil. now i will admit, burning a village is evil, but that is where sparrow comes in against those"evil" pirates. as most people know, leaving things the way they are will not attract repeat guests. if Disneyland were the same way it were on opening day, not too many people, if any at all would still be going. technology and the times change, and whether we like it or not, disney has to go routes that are the 100% best possible interest to keep them going. now, i now that one ride like pirates is not going to break wdw, but you understand my thinking right? i def. understand that many people do not want to see this ride change, i still ride it twice when i visit the mk, but only because i am a disney fanatic. i hope this doesn't open a flame war, and sorry for any mispelled words, and the long post.

peace, love and pirates

Glasgow

I'm mixed on this topic. This is my fav ride really, so I obviously like it in it's existing form. However, I wouldn't mind them changing a small section. Then, if it meets with everyone's approval on the whole, then do a little more. Just take it one step at a time. I don't like the idea of basing it on the movie though - it's an original idea and I think it should be kept that way. Money and marketing makes lots of decisions though:animwink:

DisneyJill

I don't think that PoTC the ride should be re-done. The movie was based on the ride, not vise versa. If the movie had come first, like is the case in Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin or Aladdin's Flying Carpets, then, yes, by all means, base the ride on the movie. But I don't think it's necessary to add Jack and Barbossa and company. It was a fantastic movie, but the actual ride need not change.

Don L Duck

OK enough is enough first the Golden Girls house now this.
I hope They never change that ride it's one of the best and it's Walts baby.
Doesn't anyone have respect for tradition.
I mean you don't have to change every dam thing just to capitalize on it's commercial success.
Something should be said for original ideas.

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Originally posted by Don L Duck
OK enough is enough first the Golden Girls house now this.
I hope They never change that ride it's one of the best and it's Walts baby.
Doesn't anyone have respect for tradition.
I mean you don't have to change every dam thing just to capitalize on it's commercial success.
Something should be said for original ideas.

its just an opinion. i am not an imagineer that is going to the board with this. just something that i would like to see done. thats all. i would be willing to bet that almost 99% of the imagineers agree with you. just using my imagination. you know, when you imagine, time becomes timeless, when you imagine and you belieive... lol.. oh, you spelled dam wrong. i don't think any dams at wdw need rehab, if there are any lol...j/k

Dayma

eeekkk....redo one the most well know rides ever?

The movie itself will make the ride popular. I dont think that they need to do a rehab to make it popular.

If you redo this ride then you have to do HM, IASW, Jungle Cruise, etc...

misskat

i don't think they should change it, surely it staying the same is what makes it a "classic". and thats why there's a movie of the ride, because its such a well known classic.

maybe there could be 'nods' to the film here and there, but reworking the whole ride to fit the plot of the movie would spoil it,in my opinion.

mac388

If PoC was redone, I would surely go crazy. I think that it does not need to be redone (maybe as mentioned, just a few tweaks). Not everything in this world needs to be up and coming. Many people still have appreciation for the "classics," whatever they may be.
By the way, do they have anything extra outside of Pirates or around it due to the movie?

DixieBelle97

They should never change The Pirates of the Caribbean, especially because the movie came out and most of the stuff on the ride was in the film, which was absolutely great. It was cool to see the ride actually put into a movie.:animwink:

GaryT977

I wouldn't mind seeing PoC updated to reflect its' movie namesake, even if it's just the opening battle with the forts and cannons. Just as long as it remains a boat ride.

Sir Hiss527

I think the Original concept should stay the same but i do agree the ride should have an extensive rehab. With all the new technology we're seeing, the ride could be alot more life like. Plus, the queve area needs to be repainted and stuff like that.

civileng68

Account Suspended
POTC

I do not want to see POTC changed. I have annual passes and ride it OFTEN. I've probably ridden it over 100 times. However, every time I go back I want to ride it. There's just something about it that is so great. It's nice watching it knowing that was the same ride I rode as a kid.

I do think the ride should be refurbished. I just hate that the ride will be closed for a time if they do it.

I think they should add a lot of special effect. I think they should add the "outdoor" feel to the ride. You are floating through an "outdoor" town. They should have lightning and things like that.

I think they should replace the burning buildings scene with some other fire effect. The blowing sheets with orange lights just isnt cutting it.

Also, Many times that I go now the pirates chasing each other are broken and just stopped still.

I do think they should keep it kid friendly but add some sort of scare factor in, the drop isn't scary.

I just think that the technology should be up to date. That's all though. I thin kthat everything else should stay the same.

celticdog

Some minor cosmetic changes could be made, however altering to match the movie would be disgraceful. The audio-animatronics could be easily be updated without sacrificing the the orginal feel of the ride, it would give the characters a more lifelike appearance. The ventilation system could definetly be improved.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I agree, some of the effects could use an update, like the fire. Other than that, I wouldn't want anything to change. I doubt they'll rehab the ride to match the movie; usually they make the ride from the movie, not the other way around. Besides that, I don't think anyone has the b---s to change it, because it was one of Walt's babies.

mkepcotmgmak

Original Poster
Originally posted by HauntedPirate
I agree, some of the effects could use an update, like the fire. Other than that, I wouldn't want anything to change. I doubt they'll rehab the ride to match the movie; usually they make the ride from the movie, not the other way around. Besides that, I don't think anyone has the b---s to change it, because it was one of Walt's babies.

the entire DL park in California is walts baby. it has changed quite a bit over the years. i do not think that the entire ride should be switched to the movie, just throw in a scene or two and the rest of the ride needs some MAJOR updating to the new technology!

niteobsrvr

Disney is at an odd time in its history right now. The company basically has to appeal to two very different groups. People who grew up with Walt's Disney have a different outlook on things than the folks who have grown up with the current Disney. This is neither good nor bad but just the way society changes over time.

Walt Passed away nearly 30 years ago in 1966. Even at that time, he was looking to the future of Disney World and DisneyLand and what could be done better. The whole concept behind the FLorida Project was to build something that was greater than the California park with more opportunity to grow and change. He never had in mind building a place that would be an egocentric representation of all things he managed to accomplish in his lifetime.

Given how much technology has changed since Pirates of the Carribean opened in 1973, I would imagine there there would have been some significant changes if Walt were still with us. Special effects definitely would ahve changed as well as Animatronics. Afterall, Walt was always trying to make the characters more and more realistic and always thought they could be improved.

The whole ride need not be gutted but some updating to current theatrical technology would definitely be a big plus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom