Pirates of the Caribbean ?

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
Why didn't Disney make the pirate ship in the ride look like the Black Pearl? I would have been happy with a darker paint job, no need to make an exat replica.

JustInTime

Why didn't Disney make the pirate ship in the ride look like the Black Pearl? I would have been happy with a darker paint job, no need to make an exat replica.

I guess because they spent so much money on the new AA's. I am totally fine with it. I thought the blend of updates with the remaining was done pretty well.

DisneyWall-E

Original Poster
I'm not saying I hate it by any means I just wondered why they didn't update the ship. I would have liked the Black Pearl in the ride but am fine with the way it is.

Krack

It's the Wicked Wench - for story purposes, technically it is the Black Pearl, before Davy Jones resurrected it from the bottom of the ocean.

If it was the Black Pearl they would have had to pay the film's screenwriters royalties because the script described the ship ('black sails' etc.). I remember this being mentioned in an interview with the writers :).

misterID

If it was the Black Pearl they would have had to pay the film's screenwriters royalties because the script described the ship ('black sails' etc.). I remember this being mentioned in an interview with the writers :).

I can guarantee you that everything they wrote and came up with in that script belongs to Disney. They'll get no royalties except the standard net % deal that every screenwriter gets. Some more than others. The story wasn't their idea. They were hired by Disney to write out an existing story that belongs to Disney. Nothing about POTC belongs to anyone except Disney.

radiohost

Because a good chunk of the rides electronics are hidden within the ship...Would have cost alot of $$$$$ to replace...

NASAMan

Wow, never knew any of that. It's pretty rare when a production company blatantly rips off an artist because its a lot less expensive to just purchase the rights in the end. Very interesting.

Which is probably why it is all a load of horse manure. The 'artist' can make it as compelling as needed after the fact, but it still comes down to your factual conclusion - if it is true, they would have purchased the rights and be done with it.

peter11435

Because a good chunk of the rides electronics are hidden within the ship...Would have cost alot of $$$$$ to replace...

No it isn't. The only electronics/equipment on the Ship are those that operate/control the figures on the ship. Nothing related to the ride system or any other show scene is on the wicked wench.

gerryu21220

That doesn't make sense; if that were the case, they couldn't use the AA figures of "Jack Sparrow", "Hector Barbossa", or the image of "Davy Jones" either.

janoimagine

Which is probably why it is all a load of horse manure. The 'artist' can make it as compelling as needed after the fact, but it still comes down to your factual conclusion - if it is true, they would have purchased the rights and be done with it.

Not necessarily, the production company can also make it just as compelling after the fact too, and were this to be decided in the artist favor, the Walt Disney Company would be looking at a seven figure payoff to the artist. I have seen first hand in the advertising community, creatives stealing other creatives ideas and in a lot of cases benefiting handsomely from it, it happens a lot more than people think. I think big business wouldn't be big business if they didn't engage in similar tactics and the Walt Disney Company is one of the biggest names, if not the biggest name in creative and entertainment fields and rest assured they are not immune to this type of behavior (google the rainbow video and then the 'tangled' viral video the brain children in Disney's viral marketing group recently released). If they did take this artist's IP then they should give him credit, and in this case pay him whatever royalties they received as a result.

It will be very interesting to see how this whole thing shakes out.

Magenta Panther

I was one of those opposed to the Jack Sparrow character being added to the ride...but when I saw how unobtrusively it was done, my fears subsided. I like having him there now. I feel similarly about the character additions being added to IASW. They're subtle and actually add a bit of fresh color to the show.

But I think that even more needs to be done with Pirates. The battle-at-sea scene needs to be majorly amped up. More dramatic action from the cannons, maybe make the ride vehicle buck a bit as if reacting to violent waves, perhaps a thunderstorm taking place...as it is, the scene is a bit too placid.

That's the thing about a lot of the original Disney rides. They're so good as they are, that it doesn't take much to make them even more enjoyable to modern tastes. The Haunted Mansion refurb, for example, was a triumph. If more of the original rides were similarly "plussed", then fewer new rides might need to be built to compete with the likes of Universal. (Not that I have any objections to new rides...but why not "plus" the rides that are already there?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom