Pirates of the Caribbean- yet another film, any more damage to the ride?

21stamps

My 12 and 15 year old enjoyed it. Much more than I did... to be honest the story was rather weak but it did have enough action and humor to make entertain kids... Only problem is when you start thinking about things to much.... SPOILER ALERT... as an example you have a very cartoonish bank robbery where a safe is stolen only to have the end result being the entire bank is yanked out along with the safe... Clearly things like that would simply never happen but then again you don't go to this type of movie looking for reality.
Thanks!

Sonic Sunglasses

Will a kid enjoy it? Really, I have no choice either way.lol. But just thought I'd ask.
I think they'll have a blast. I certainly did, and I had a corker of a case of "franchise fatigue". Obviously, there are over-the-top gags like in the other PotC films. But this is a movie about cursed pirates and sea legends, ships trapped in bottles and magical swords. Anyone walking in expecting strict plausibility is setting themselves up for disappointment. Go and enjoy yourself.

21stamps

I think they'll have a blast. I certainly did, and I had a corker of a case of "franchise fatigue". Obviously, there are over-the-top gags like in the other PotC films. But this is a movie about cursed pirates and sea legends, ships trapped in bottles and magical swords. Anyone walking in expecting strict plausibility is setting themselves up for disappointment. Go and enjoy yourself.

Ha ha! Thanks!

AEfx

Only because you have a knack for ignoring the obvious when it is counter to your argument.

That's just it - it wasn't an "argument". It was a list of facts which currently are leading to a mindset, there is a difference. An argument suggests there is a "win" scenario, this is simply observational. One of those things is it's critical rankings. Another I meantioned is polled audience anticipation, another was the social media statistics, all resulting in the ever-increasing industry projections. To bring this back around to Pirates - it's funny, because domestically, WW was originally projected to open with the numbers Pirates ended up with, and if the new projections hold, it will end up making what Disney originally had pegged Pirates at up until only a few weeks ago.

In any case, it's more like I trust in the general intelligence level of the audience here not to feel the need to stop and tell them that "critical reviews on their own do not mean box office success." Interesting note, it's still stunning - it's gone up AGAIN to 97% now, with like 65+ reviews. It's almost unnerving how well it is doing in that vein. It's going into Dark Knight territory. At this point, it's almost getting mathematically difficult for it to finish under 90% once all is said and done.

HMF

Original Poster
Is it bad of me to say that I kinda want a redo of Florida's pirates? I mean its such a pale comparison to the original at Disneyland, and I'm mainly talking about the beginning cave scenes and ending. everything after the drop is fantastic, I guess I wouldn't mind them redoing the first show building before the drop, and try to add some type of ending because I feel like the ride just stops. I know the ride is shorter because they speed rushed the ride I just feel that more could be done with the start?
There is a good reason for that.
http://strangefrighteningsoundsblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/a-ravaging-rant-about-pirates-of.html

HMF

Original Poster
Run! they hear will gut you alive for even mentioning any changes to anything. What old disney parks fans don't realize is that before they updated the rides kids were asking where was jack. It's like snow whites scary adventure when it was launched snow wasn't in the ride (you were supposed to be seeing it from her perspective) people got mad and they added her. Kids who grew up with the movies think the ride is about the films and you can't expect disney to give every attendee a history lesson. So they added what the average person wanted to see. The ride is better for it IMO.
They wanted Jack in the ride. They didn't necessarily want virtually every major pirate figure in the ride asking where he was.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
At $326 Million for Global Box Office for the first week. Not shabby considering there has not been a movie that has made $160 million globally opening week and not hit at least the $500 million mark. I think we can all say it together now..."Pirate's is a hit (or "blockbuster" depending on your terminology).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Will a kid enjoy it? Really, I have no choice either way.lol. But just thought I'd ask.
There's a lot of action, cannons going off, swashbuckling, ships being lost and found -- a typical Pirates film. So, yeah, a kid will enjoy it.

But in my not so humble opinion, the plot takes too many improbable leaps, characters lack or change motivation, random out of nowhere mcguffins... it seriously seems like the writers just got lazy and used all the unused ideas from the previous films (and which had been cut for good reason). Or maybe John Lasseter was advising the screenplay...

I will say this -- it is a visually stunning film, and I found it entertaining. But it wasn't one of the higher quality forays for Bruckheimer, as judged by my measure, which is impulse to buy the film when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray. Just not there for me...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Critic movie reviews mean nothing as long as the audience itself likes the film and makes it profitable on top of that.

Transformers has got to be the best example of this. Screw the critics. Uni's gonna put themselves a ride in the parks. Those preteen boys love those giant cars. So many toys to sell!

21stamps

There's a lot of action, cannons going off, swashbuckling, ships being lost and found -- a typical Pirates film. So, yeah, a kid will enjoy it.

But in my not so humble opinion, the plot takes too many improbable leaps, characters lack or change motivation, random out of nowhere mcguffins... it seriously seems like the writers just got lazy and used all the unused ideas from the previous films (and which had been cut for good reason). Or maybe John Lasseter was advising the screenplay...

I will say this -- it is a visually stunning film, and I found it entertaining. But it wasn't one of the higher quality forays for Bruckheimer, as judged by my measure, which is impulse to buy the film when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray. Just not there for me...

Thanks!

HMF

Original Poster
I'm guessing we will get pirates 6. China seems to love these films. The audience ratings of the film has been good. It's sad to see people want this to fail just to protect the ride.
This is the situation Disney has put us in. The ride is FAR more important than the Movies. Without the ride, there would be no movies.

Gelatoni

You make that sound so bad. I'm 31 so the version of PotC I know has almost always had the updates. The truth is the people who miss the old version is fighting a losing battle. I grew up and love the current version. Most kids younger than me that is true too. Disney can't keep things that same forever or it becomes stale and then people complain about how old the ride is.

Razgriz

They should remove Blackbeard, of 5 movies the dude was one of the most bland characters of all.
Salazar or even better Davy Jones would be a good change.

Though a skeleton Barbossa could tie a lot of elements together.

Goofyernmost

This is the situation Disney has put us in. The ride is FAR more important than the Movies. Without the ride, there would be no movies.
And about 99% (if not more) is still the original ride. Is making mountains out of molehills what you do for a living?

If you even knew that "script" that was the original ride, did it really change it that much. Were you concentrating on the intentional story line when you first saw it. Did all of it make sense to you or did you just enjoy the ride and the different scenes. If so, what has really changed other then the biggest thing being the Capt. Jack AA's. Did it make sense that they were dipping the Mayor to begin with. If they are trying to find Capt. Jack, might it be to get their revenge? Wouldn't it be just as sensible as before? Wouldn't they not want to be telling where he is because... 1. they don't know or 2. they do know that he is were the towns treasure is and they don't want the other Pirates to find it. There are many avenues that this story can take, and since it, to my knowledge, has never really been publicly discussed, means you are arguing against your own imagination and the ride has not been ruined at all, but, gives the Pirates additional incentive to be there in the first place.

Last edited:

csmat99

First weekend box office is coming in under projections so I seriously doubt any changes will be made in the wake of this one.
It didn't miss projections by much and internationally(280 million) broke all its records. It also got pretty good ratings from people who saw it. I thought it was much better than last two and closer to the spirit of the first one. It will probably end up with about 750-800 million worldwide. Not bad.

UPDATE: $39.4M global TUE for #Pirates5 upping total to $365.7M. Will break $400M today or tomm, then $500M by SUN. Intl share currently 77%.

Also, GotG passed 800 million worldwide. First Marvel movie without Iron Man in it to do so. We will be seeing more GotG in the parks.

I'm guessing they might pull Captain Jack Sparrow...
Holding a solid 32 on rottentomatoes... not looking good for the home team.
Critics will always slam when franchise is hits 4, 5, 6 sequels. The only reviews that matter are the people going seeing it and it's about 73% on rotten and Cinemascore has it an A. So it will do well in long term.

Last edited:

csmat99

Not sure why you think Wonder Woman will be big hit... trailers I've seen leave a bad PC taste in my mouth... Not as bad as this last King Arthur PC fest... but enough that I don't think it is going to win the dollars of the teen audience that blockbuster have to have to win really big.
Wonder woman is going to be huge. It's going to do over 100 million for the weekend. It also has ability to do even more. This is the one and only superhero that is cherished by women. You are going to see a turnout that will have more women going to see the movie than men.

Last edited:

HMF

Original Poster
You make that sound so bad. I'm 31 so the version of PotC I know has almost always had the updates. The truth is the people who miss the old version is fighting a losing battle. I grew up and love the current version. Most kids younger than me that is true too. Disney can't keep things that same forever or it becomes stale and then people complain about how old the ride is.
If you are 31, that means you were 20 when the characters were added in 2006. It would be quite a stretch to say you grew up with this version.

Gelatoni

@HMF I wasn't able to start going yearly until i got a good enough job and that was my 21st birthday but hey thanks for assuming my personal history. I saw it once in the original version when I was 13 on a family trip but i don't really remember it.

You completely missed my point and instead decided to make a personal attack on a,forum debate which is about the saddest thing I've seen today but if that floats your boat.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom