Pirates' Demise?????

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by Sketch105
Anybody else looking forward to Eisner's contract expiring in 2006???

I'm hoping he doesn't negotiate another one. Please don't kill Disney! You saved it in the 80s, and did a bang up job in the 90s, but you're killing us here.

To Paul Pressler: Remember that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Disney's California Adventure, the cheap sequels, and greenlighting horribly misguided movies (Pearl Harbor, Country Bears) is part of that pavement.

Wait. If Eisner's contract expires in 2006, would they promote Paul Pressler to CEO?? Oh my god. That would be a catastrophe.

Makes me wonder if DCA had actually been made into Westcot(thank you to the locals for that one. I would have sided with Disney had I been there). And don't get me started on Hong Kong! It does not even have Frontierland!

DCA is really a nice park. Expecially considering the budget that was given to it. Yes, Hong Kong is a mess, but it will be worked out, I promise. ;) And before anyone brings TDL or DS into this... don't. See, here in the states we have these little things called budgets that we have to work around. ;)

pheneix

>>>DCA is really a nice park.<<<

Building a "nice" venue in an industry like the theme park industry is just asking for your new park to fail misirably. Oh well, Disney asked for it...

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by pheneix
>>>DCA is really a nice park.<<<

Building a "nice" venue in an industry like the theme park industry is just asking for your new park to fail misirably. Oh well, Disney asked for it...

Are you suggesting that Disney begin building cheap, un-thought out, universal style thrill parks? Last I checked, being a leader and not a follower meant pushing some boundaries. and DCA will only get better. Disneyland failed in it's first few years too. ;)

Sketch105

Being a leader does not really mean they should go back to tread territory others have. The Seaside Park concept, while nice in visual concept, seems very mild in execution. They should at least break new ground with things like this. But they have a standard 200 ft. free-fall tower, a standard wild mouse coaster, a standard fair swing ride and the first rocket swing ride we've seen since the 1920s. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Also, reminder that Disneyland, while trying to be a resort, is still primary targeted at locals, and those locals are alienated by the silly California theme which leaves very little room for concept movement. Why see the replica of the San Francisco gate bridge when teh real ones a few miles down the road. Its the Disneyland Paris castle concept all over again. They didn't build a real castle replica in Paris when real ones were down the road. WHy'd they do it there? They can't go in and make a "Port Discovery" or a "Lost River Delta". They are already treading water with "Fliks Fun Fair, another slew of mildly themed carnival rides that last about 90 seconds each (since when do kids not deserve cool attractions?). What does Flik have to do with the state of california? You've got the state of California, and "A Bug's Life" now.

Hong Kong still looks like a huge disaster waiting to happen. A half made Disney park.

Ya know, I heard Disneyseas looks pretty nice this time of year. And they spent the same amout of money on their theme park as Disney spent on there DCA, hotel, and mall.

Castle Cake Apologist

Me personally, I love the idea of a park celebrating the state. Of course that's the reason that golden gate replica is there, it's not that hard to figure out. Paradise Pier is one of the most beautiful areas in any Disney park, expecially at night. And keep in mind a majority of the carnival rides there have not been manufactured since the 1960's. Disney had to build them from scratch AND make them theme park friendly. Sea side boardwalks are a big part of Cali, and Paradise Pier is celebrating that. Besides, it's not something they threw together on the cheap. Disney has been planning on building a boardwalk carnival for a long time now (Need I even mention Surf City?). And quite a bit of money was spent on unneeded theming, looking at Cali Screamin'... you'd never know it was steel. But, hey... that's why it's a Disney park.

pheneix

>>>Are you suggesting that Disney begin building cheap, un-thought out, [EDIT] Six Flags style thrill parks?<<<

They're already on that road, no suggestions needed.

BTW, if Disney built a park on the caliber of Islands of Adventure I would jump for joy. ;)

Tigggrl

Since when did this become a "Bash DCA" thread???
I am one of those locals who happens to LOVE DCA! It is one of my favorite parks....I was an annual passholder for 7 years running at WDW< and I like this park as much as I did those!
I also talk to alot of the locals here, and they enjoy it more and more each time that they come!
I have also had the opprotunity to chat with some CM's who have had the chance to preview FFF, And they brought their kids, and nieces and nephews. They LOVED it! Lots of fun for the little ones!
There is no need to be so negative. I feel that Eisner is doing a good job, and that the company is moving in good directions. I have experienced all of the us parks, and will look forward to experiencing the others eventually...until then, I will reserve my opinions on those parks...I love all things Disney, and different themes are a good thing!

Castle Cake Apologist

Originally posted by pheneix
They're already on that road, no suggestions needed.

BTW, if Disney built a park on the caliber of Islands of Adventure I would jump for joy. ;)

Really? Please do point out the last thrill park Disney built... I must have missed it. And if Disney built a park like IoA, I'd puke.

Sketch105

Originally posted by Tigggrl
Since when did this become a "Bash DCA" thread???
I am one of those locals who happens to LOVE DCA! It is one of my favorite parks....I was an annual passholder for 7 years running at WDW< and I like this park as much as I did those!
I also talk to alot of the locals here, and they enjoy it more and more each time that they come!
I have also had the opprotunity to chat with some CM's who have had the chance to preview FFF, And they brought their kids, and nieces and nephews. They LOVED it! Lots of fun for the little ones!
There is no need to be so negative. I feel that Eisner is doing a good job, and that the company is moving in good directions. I have experienced all of the us parks, and will look forward to experiencing the others eventually...until then, I will reserve my opinions on those parks...I love all things Disney, and different themes are a good thing!

Well if you love DCA, thats good for you! You can't see from the point of view I can.

Its good that you enjoy something and can be proud of it. I'm not a fan, and I don't think I'll ever be a fan of DCA. I have some pretty high expectations from Disney, and even if they do a fine job of theming a seaside park, it won't impress me until they do something smashing like Spider-Man or at least until they have something from Beastly Kingdom.

I just think they are settling for far too less than they deserve. I think they should be the ones on top of the ride pile. They may not have a millenium force, but they can theme the pants off anything from Cedar Point. They should have these great TLC specials done on them, and they should be the ones with "best theme park in the world". And right now, they're far from it.
Disney seems to be forgotten nowadays when people talk about "the best park". I'm not talking go-for-broke 200 ft. coasters or anything like that. Disney could be the place with the most rides, or the best attractions. I believe they could be THE place to be again if they tried hard enough. Yet they let all these good ideas go to waste because they want to make half-day parks like AK and Hong Kong Disneyland and NOT EVEN COMPLETE THEM...Its just asking to be neglected. I haven't heard too many people say "AK is the greatest park", but it could be. They have all these great attractions on the board and they expand their park with a "Triceratops Spin" instead of a new land or a fantastic, innovative new attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom