PinPals - Pinball Hub Thread (OPEN BRAINSTORMING)

JokersWild

Original Poster
So I think that I want to tweak Scooby Doo first. Add some of the details that I wasn't able to include in the project like proper Callouts, a toy or two that I thought of after it was submitted, art, tweaks - stuff like that. However, I did want to post a small list of IPs I'd love to see/ work on. For simplicity, all of these are cartoons because I think the aesthetics would fit well, and cartoons are an oddly underutilized medium for pinball.

Hanna-Barbera
.Wacky Races
.Dastardly and Muttley
.Jabber Jaw (or Speed Buggy. Both could be cool)
.The Banana Splits
.The New Scooby Doo Mysteries - Mainly because there were a lot of elements that I wanted to include in the regular Scooby table, but couldn't because I was trying to stick to the original series. Stuff like a Scrappy Doo Puppy Power score multiplier, and celebrity-based bonus modes.

Adult Swim
.Space Ghost Coast to Coast
.Venture Bros.
.Squidbillies
.Superjail!
.Metalocalypse

Cartoon Network
.Courage the Cowardly Dog
.Ed, Edd, n Eddy
.Dexter's Lab

I could keep going, but I don't want this list to be a book. Those are some IPs that I have basic ideas for and would love to work on at some point.

Last edited:

JokersWild

Original Poster
Such a good idea for a thread. I've always enjoyed a good game of pinball and I'll take a little time to think of IPs I wouldn't mind seeing in pinball form, but I'll say one thing right off the bat...

How has Beetlejuice not been made into a pinball machine yet?
I’ve honestly had the exact same thought like all week, but I wanted to look at the stuff I had already posted before I started throwing out even more IPs. Love to see you posting about it though.

DashHaber

I’ve honestly had the exact same thought like all week, but I wanted to look at the stuff I had already posted before I started throwing out even more IPs. Love to see you posting about it though.
I can get that. It's a pretty good selection of IPs you mentioned already, and cartoons are a bit of a neglected thing when it comes to pinball. Beetlejuice just leapt to mind because the imagery and energy of that movie just feels like it would translate to pinball so well. I confess I'm not familiar with all of the technical terms and tricks for a pinball table, but I could see stuff like ramps that maybe tie in with a Sandworm or the Beetle-Snake. Definitely some kind of mechanic involving saying his name three times.

Another general thought I've had is an IP that's not the standard sort for pinball: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was thinking that the table could adjust depending on if you are as Jekyll or Hyde. Jekyll would involve more precision shots while Hyde would be more of a brute-force points mode, with ramps and bumpers changing depending on the mode.

JokersWild

Original Poster
I can get that. It's a pretty good selection of IPs you mentioned already, and cartoons are a bit of a neglected thing when it comes to pinball. Beetlejuice just leapt to mind because the imagery and energy of that movie just feels like it would translate to pinball so well. I confess I'm not familiar with all of the technical terms and tricks for a pinball table, but I could see stuff like ramps that maybe tie in with a Sandworm or the Beetle-Snake. Definitely some kind of mechanic involving saying his name three times.

Another general thought I've had is an IP that's not the standard sort for pinball: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I was thinking that the table could adjust depending on if you are as Jekyll or Hyde. Jekyll would involve more precision shots while Hyde would be more of a brute-force points mode, with ramps and bumpers changing depending on the mode.
There’s a ton you could do with Beetlejuice. Really lean into the stripe aesthetic. The only two things I really had in mind was a Beetlejuice head with that weird tent thing from the end of the movie pop out of the play field like the ringmaster in Cirqus Voltair, and have a wire form that’s surrounded by one of the worms. Maybe a game mode could have players lose control of one of the flippers while the Banana Boat Song plays? Free game animation could be made to look like a ticket in the waiting room from the very end of the movie.

Jekyll and Hyde sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I’m sure there’s a way to make the play field change visibly? Maybe the play field could be a screen? That would probably be way to fragile lol.

DashHaber

There’s a ton you could do with Beetlejuice. Really lean into the stripe aesthetic. The only two things I really had in mind was a Beetlejuice head with that weird tent thing from the end of the movie pop out of the play field like the ringmaster in Cirqus Voltair, and have a wire form that’s surrounded by one of the worms. Maybe a game mode could have players lose control of one of the flippers while the Banana Boat Song plays? Free game animation could be made to look like a ticket in the waiting room from the very end of the movie.

Jekyll and Hyde sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I’m sure there’s a way to make the play field change visibly? Maybe the play field could be a screen? That would probably be way to fragile lol.
Oh, Beetlejuice's head as an emerging element would be a natural fit, and that's a neat idea for the Day-O scene. You could also try out UV lighting to accentuate the stripes when Beetlejuice appears on the table.

The main pinball table I can think of that has dynamic changing is Stranger Things, a Stern Pinball machine which features a screen wall that plays clips from the show and plays different images (along with occasionally opening up to reveal the Demogorgon). I don't see something like that for Jekyll and Hyde. Perhaps you could showcase more of the changes through lighting in Victorian buildings. Perhaps they'd be a warm blue when it is Jekyll in control, while they would cast a sickly green when Hyde is at the reins.

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Gotta have the graveyard scene in there. Maybe hitting 3 tombstones triggers some scene or Beetlejuice intro bonus.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Gotta have the graveyard scene in there. Maybe hitting 3 tombstones triggers some scene or Beetlejuice intro bonus.
Beetlejuice’s grave could be a ball lock. Maybe Dante’s Inferno could be a game mode?

Oh, Beetlejuice's head as an emerging element would be a natural fit, and that's a neat idea for the Day-O scene. You could also try out UV lighting to accentuate the stripes when Beetlejuice appears on the table.

The main pinball table I can think of that has dynamic changing is Stranger Things, a Stern Pinball machine which features a screen wall that plays clips from the show and plays different images (along with occasionally opening up to reveal the Demogorgon). I don't see something like that for Jekyll and Hyde. Perhaps you could showcase more of the changes through lighting in Victorian buildings. Perhaps they'd be a warm blue when it is Jekyll in control, while they would cast a sickly green when Hyde is at the reins.
Oh I definitely wasn’t picturing anything like Stranger Things. Definitely something closer to your idea of lighting changes. There’s definitely a lot you could do with the concept.

DashHaber

Beetlejuice’s grave could be a ball lock. Maybe Dante’s Inferno could be a game mode?

Oh I definitely wasn’t picturing anything like Stranger Things. Definitely something closer to your idea of lighting changes. There’s definitely a lot you could do with the concept.
Potentially. The grave could be a ball lock, as a build-up for a "Turn On the Juice" multiball.

Also, while there have been a few Marvel-related tables, this would be one of the few times we could see Arcade get some play. I could see a table based around a few heroes having to escape his latest carnival-themed death trap, though I haven't settled yet on whether to make it the X-Men (considering he has fought them plenty of times) or maybe a team-up of some other Marvel heroes (like Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl).

TheOriginalTiki

What about a series of tables themed to the original four Disneyland lands? They could have a ton of Easter eggs jammed in. Maybe each of the different levels could represent a different era of the land. Jungle Cruise/Tiki Room/Indy for Adventureland, Nature's Wonderland/Big Thunder for Frontierland, a double layer Fantasyland table with pre and post 1980s revamp. Tomorrowland with a whole "World on the Move" theme with a ton of kinetic energy, mini Peoplemovers moving through the table, an Inner Space area, a Space Mountain "arena" etc. Possibly a series of tables for the 70th anniversary (which is only four years away and makes me feel ancient :p )

DashHaber

What about a series of tables themed to the original four Disneyland lands? They could have a ton of Easter eggs jammed in. Maybe each of the different levels could represent a different era of the land. Jungle Cruise/Tiki Room/Indy for Adventureland, Nature's Wonderland/Big Thunder for Frontierland, a double layer Fantasyland table with pre and post 1980s revamp. Tomorrowland with a whole "World on the Move" theme with a ton of kinetic energy, mini Peoplemovers moving through the table, an Inner Space area, a Space Mountain "arena" etc. Possibly a series of tables for the 70th anniversary (which is only four years away and makes me feel ancient :p )
Funny enough, I've actually had the thought of a series of tables based around the Disney World parks. One for each park, It'd be easy to base the modes you play through around particular attractions or iconic things at each park. Besides that, one of the main things I've thought of is for the Disney's Hollywood Studios table to maybe have wire form tracks inspired by Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and some sort of element involving Tower of Terror.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Honestly there’s more than enough source material to base a table off of each land separately. I’d definitely love to see a generic Disneyland though with a castle and some more generic toys.

Disney Dad 3000

Honestly there’s more than enough source material to base a table off of each land separately. I’d definitely love to see a generic Disneyland though with a castle and some more generic toys.

Picturing a Frontierland table with a beautiful liberty square riverboat backglass and all manner of tie ins to the shootin arcade, splash, coujrey bears,, etc. So many fun things you could do going land by land.

JokersWild

Original Poster
Picturing a Frontierland table with a beautiful liberty square riverboat backglass and all manner of tie ins to the shootin arcade, splash, coujrey bears,, etc. So many fun things you could do going land by land.
Oh my god a Shootin’ Arcade would be amazing. Drop targets and skill shots that you have to shoot for points. That sounds super unique.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom