"Pinocchio's Escape From Monstro" (needs a better title, among other things)

mharrington

Original Poster
Here is a revival/revision (sort of) of a mild water thrill ride themed to "Pinocchio"; in particular, the encounter with Monstro the Whale. The ride location replaces much of the Tomorrowland Speedway:
speedway-space-jpg.557732

To try and ease the intrusion, the southern and western ends facing Tomorrowland (the PeopleMover in the south and Cosmic Ray's in the west) will be blocked off by rocks. Another reason for the choice of Monstro is to help ease the confusion of having the Village Haus at the other end of Fantasyland. The rocks would make it look something like the old 20,000 Leagues area from way back when.

This ride concept is an improved/expanded version of an abandoned concept for a water slide dating back to the early days of Disneyland (i.e., designs for the park before it was ever even built). Designed by Bruce Bushman, the basic gist was that you would board a small watercraft and go up through the interior of Monstro's belly and then slide down his mouth into a pool of water outside:
abandoned-monstro-concept-jpg.519884

Apparently, this concept of watercraft and Monstro was later reworked as the beginning to Storybook Land, which of course begins with you entering the whale's gaping maw.

The ride technology is used from a new concept from Mack Rides called the Rocking Boat:

I'm not sure, though, even with the small space the prototype occupies how big or small the footprint can be, especially given Tron nearby. I mean, the Speedway is big, but not THAT big:
Tron_Full_40004.jpg

The ride is similar to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in that it lies somewhere in the middle between two other rides in terms of how much of a nail-biter it is. Where the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train lies somewhere in between Big Thunder Mountain and The Great Goofini's Barnstormer, this Pinocchio ride, being a water ride with flume drops, lies somewhere in between Splash Mountain and Pirates of the Caribbean.

I need some help with the entrance, queue and name of the ride, however, and also possibly how to try and make it fit in the space. The best I can think of for a name is "Pinocchio's Escape From Monstro", which sounds a little too Universal-like for me. As for the entrance and queue, the only things I can think of are a rock-studded shore, similar to the old 20,000 Leagues ride from way back when.

The ride proper begins with you boarding your eight-person boat that looks somewhat like the Storybook Land boats. You see a projection of the Blue Fairy as she informs you of some grave news: Geppetto went off to look for Pinocchio, but he was swallowed by a whale named Monstro. She had informed Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket about it, but also that Geppetto was still alive inside the whale at the bottom of the sea, and the two went off to find him, vowing to save him.

You make your way up a lift hill to the edge of a rocky cliff over the ocean where Monstro resides. Here, you see Pinocchio and Jiminy, who protests against the mission, knowing that Monstro can swallow whole ships, and tries to urge Pinocchio to give up. When Pinocchio refuses to submit, even attempting to bid farewell to Jiminy, Jiminy won't hear of it and decides to accompany the puppet. With that, they plunge into the ocean.

You go with them, over the edge of a waterfall into the ocean (not as high or steep as Splash or even Pirates). As you plunge, you see Monstro rise out of the water, his mouth wide open to eat everyone. To flashes of lightning, you spot the whale's gaping jaws and Pinocchio and Jiminy fall through (in silhouette form). The open mouth of the whale may look familiar to you if you've been to Disneyland, as it clearly resembles Monstro's appearance at the entrance to Storybook Land, as well as the Pinocchio ride, given that it's set in darkness with only flashes of light to illuminate.

Inside the whale's belly, you hear Pinocchio and Jiminy calling out for Geppetto. Meanwhile, you find yourself floating past the wrecked remains of old boats that Monstro had eaten:
monstro mouth.jpg

You finally see Pinocchio and Geppetto reuniting on a small boat, while Jiminy is standing in the entrance of a bottle. Pinocchio explains the need to escape from Monstro. Geppetto protests that there is no way out. But then Pinocchio gets the bright idea to build a fire inside the whale's mouth so that the smoke will make him sneeze them out. Although Geppetto is hesitant about the idea, he accepts.

Your boat turns away turns away back toward Monstro's mouth, which is now looking upward. As you turn away, you see a flash of light as a fire is illuminated. As you make your way up the lift toward the whale's mouth, you see Pinocchio, Geppetto, Figaro and Cleo on a raft, ready to leave, Geppetto warning that they won't make it past Monstro's teeth. Jiminy in the bottle is there, too, calling out for them to wait up for him. All the while, the whale is heard ominously sniffing, snorting and gasping as he gears up for a sneeze.

You crest the top of the lift and start back down. At that moment, Monstro lets out a sneeze that sends your boat down a drop, accompanied by a wave of water behind you. You blast past the whale's gaping mouth and out into daylight! You have escaped, for the whale is now behind you, a sort of reverse Storybook Land! The drop is, again, far less severe than the big drop on Splash Mountain, possibly about the same as the first drop there, over Slippin' Falls. This is the basis of that old Monstro water slide concept from way back where.

But what of Pinocchio's group? Did they escape? As your boat twists and turns tightly through the lagoon, you go behind some rocks to find that they have indeed escaped. But suddenly, at another bend, you spot Monstro lunging up to attack, outraged at being tricked. The effect of Monstro here is similar to that of the Monstro figure in Disneyland's Pinocchio ride:
DSC_4341.jpg

A blast of water from the whale's rising knocks you back. You then spot Pinocchio's group, their raft having been smashed to bits, save for a single plank that Geppetto is clinging for dear life to. Pinocchio is seen trying to grab this plank and haul his father to safety.

Suddenly, another Monstro figure rises out of the water and rams everyone: you, Pinocchio and Geppetto, behind another rock. All is quiet, but somehow, everyone has escaped from Monstro! Everyone is happy as you see Geppetto and Pinocchio hugging happily, while Jiminy Cricket jumps for joy and Figaro dives into Cleo's fishbowl to give the goldfish a kiss.

And you return to the load area and exit out.

Anyway, I think the queue, load area and name need work, as does the final scene of the ride. I'm stuck there. What do you think could be done with the queue, load area, final scene and ride name? Like I said, I was thinking of "Pinocchio's Escape From Monstro", but I thought it was too much like something you would find at Universal, not Disney. And I especially think that the final scene needs work, as I didn't want to end with Pinocchio motionless, as that would be too much of a downer ending. And yet, I'm also a little leery about the "real boy" ending of the movie as well. Also, I really want to try and make it fit in the footprint of the Speedway, which really isn't that big.

What do you think?

MickeyMouse10

Well when Pinocchio first enters the ocean he ties a rock to his tail. So he floats to the bottom of the ocean. So the beginning could be similar to "Pirates of the Caribbean" in Shanghai and "Runaway Railway". Where you feel like you're going to the bottom of the ocean. Even though the boat is not moving that much.

While the ending could show Pinocchio's brilliant plans unfold, where he finally escapes Monstro.

The first of the final scenes could use animatronics. Preferably the classic versions, where it doesn't have a light up face. In the scene Pinocchio is running around collecting fire wood as Geppetto watches on in disbelief. Even Figaro and Cleo are not wise to what he is doing.

The little wooden boy then sets a large enough fire that will in turn bring smoke. Enough to fill the belly of the beast and cause him to sneeze. You can smell the smoke from the fire that he has set, and even see it on the screens that surrounds your boat.

Next the whale begins to suck in some air and water over and over again. Before finally sneezing you and your boat out. And down the boat plunges, in similar style to Splash Mountain and many other log flume rides.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
Well when Pinocchio first enters the ocean he ties a rock to his tail. So he floats to the bottom of the ocean. So the beginning could be similar to "Pirates of the Caribbean" in Shanghai and "Runaway Railway". Where you feel like you're going to the bottom of the ocean. Even though the boat is not moving that much.

While the ending could show Pinocchio's brilliant plans unfold, where he finally escapes Monstro.

The first of the final scenes could use animatronics. Preferably the classic versions, where it doesn't have a light up face. In the scene Pinocchio is running around collecting fire wood as Geppetto watches on in disbelief. Even Figaro and Cleo are not wise to what he is doing.

The little wooden boy then sets a large enough fire that will in turn bring smoke. Enough to fill the belly of the beast and cause him to sneeze. You can smell the smoke from the fire that he has set, and even see it on the screens that surrounds your boat.

Next the whale begins to suck in some air and water over and over again. Before finally sneezing you and your boat out. And down the boat plunges, in similar style to Splash Mountain and many other log flume rides.

I like all of those ideas, but I feel as though there needs to be something more after you are sneezed out, and that's what I'm having trouble with. The idea of just ending it after the sneeze seems too abrupt. I think you should see if they've escaped. To that end, I also think you should have at least one or two brief encounters by Monstro as he tries to attack you and Pinocchio's group. At the very least, have it be about as long as Grizzly River Run after you go down the second waterfall and before you return to the load area, lasting for about 90 seconds at most (go to 5:28):

As great as the scenes inside are, I'm not sure if classic AAs are capable of running around as you suggest. There may have to be a shortcut here, like projections or maybe just shadows on the wall. I'm also not sure if smoke is a good idea, as some people may have asthma.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
As great as the scenes inside are, I'm not sure if classic AAs are capable of running around as you suggest. There may have to be a shortcut here, like projections or maybe just shadows on the wall. I'm also not sure if smoke is a good idea, as some people may have asthma.
The shadows would be a good idea, but you could also an animatronic with its lower half hidden (behind a half-wall or something similar) to allow for it to move on a motion arm and give Pinocchio the appearance of running around gathering wood.

The smoke effect is simple. Fog combined with a smoke-scent Smelitzer should do the trick.

For an attraction title suggestion: “Pinocchio’s Monstro-us Adventure”

mharrington

Original Poster
The shadows would be a good idea, but you could also an animatronic with its lower half hidden (behind a half-wall or something similar) to allow for it to move on a motion arm and give Pinocchio the appearance of running around gathering wood.

The smoke effect is simple. Fog combined with a smoke-scent Smelitzer should do the trick.

For an attraction title suggestion: “Pinocchio’s Monstro-us Adventure”
I guess those ideas could work, but as for the punny title, it sounds even more like Universal or even Six Flags. Maybe it could be something like "Pinocchio's Whale of a Voyage" or something? I don't know, that's the best I could do. I don't seem to recall any Disney parks with ride names that are as pun-tastic as that. At least none in existence anymore. Maybe half the old stuff at the CA Adventure, but off the top of my head, that's about it.

I still need help with the ending after you escape from Monstro, however.

MickeyMouse10

I like all of those ideas, but I feel as though there needs to be something more after you are sneezed out, and that's what I'm having trouble with. The idea of just ending it after the sneeze seems too abrupt. I think you should see if they've escaped. To that end, I also think you should have at least one or two brief encounters by Monstro as he tries to attack you and Pinocchio's group. At the very least, have it be about as long as Grizzly River Run after you go down the second waterfall and before you return to the load area, lasting for about 90 seconds at most (go to 5:28):

Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry for all the unnice things I've said in the past. Sometimes I speak out of term.

MickeyMouse10

I was thinking it could be similar to the Olaf animatronic, near the beginning of "Frozen Ever After". The boat could cover where his feet are to hide his movement.

Frankenstein79

It's possible.

The only problem I have is with the Peoplemover being close by. But if it's a secluded area like New Orleans Square in Disneyland. Maybe you can hide it from view.

Perhaps instead of near Cosmic, a singular entry way could go near Mad Tea Party.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
It's possible.

The only problem I have is with the Peoplemover being close by. But if it's a secluded area like New Orleans Square in Disneyland. Maybe you can hide it from view.

Perhaps instead of near Cosmic, a singular entry way could go near Mad Tea Party.

I was thinking of trying to hide the area with rocks and rockwork, which would also help ease the transition into Tomorrowland.

But I still need help with what happens after you are sneezed out.

MickeyMouse10

But I still need help with what happens after you are sneezed out.

You could always turn the corner and have another Monstro dive at the cave you're entering. Similar to the old Jaws ride at Universal. You'd have more than one Monstro shown throughout. Now inside you see the wreckage and both Monstro and Pinocchio are thought to be dead.

Pinocchio is shown lying in his bed in the next scene. With Geppetto nearby crying about his poor wooden boy. That is until Pinocchio pops up and is revealed to be alive. In the next area the two are hugging each other now in statue form (similar to Ariel & Eric in the attraction Ariel's Undersea Adventure) with Figaro and Cleo watching on.

mharrington

Original Poster
You could always turn the corner and have another Monstro dive at the cave you're entering. Similar to the old Jaws ride at Universal. You'd have more than one Monstro shown throughout. Now inside you see the wreckage and both Monstro and Pinocchio are thought to be dead.

Pinocchio is shown lying in his bed in the next scene. With Geppetto nearby crying about his poor wooden boy. That is until Pinocchio pops up and is revealed to be alive. In the next area the two are hugging each other now in statue form (similar to Ariel & Eric in the attraction Ariel's Undersea Adventure) with Figaro and Cleo watching on.
I like the idea of turning the corner and encountering a second Monstro. I had the idea already. But I'm not entirely sold on ending as the movie ended, especially since I'm not doing the village theming here, because it's too far away. For the benefit of the ride, I want to keep it by the shore, kind of like this alternate closing idea:

To that end, I'm also having difficulty with the queue of the ride, which is rock-studded.

Part of the problem is that this is focusing on one part of the movie in particular, not the movie as a whole, like the Disneyland ride does. I want to try and end similarly to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, which ends with a view inside the cottage, where Snow White is dancing with the Dwarfs, while the Queen, in her witch disguise, is already at the window with the basket of apples, cackling evilly as she readies to do in Snow White.

Admittedly, I would love to do a ride with both Pleasure Island and Monstro, like the Ridestormin' video suggested, which would also help the transition between Fantasyland and Tomrrowland, with flashy lights. However, I argued that the space didn't seem big enough for both parts of the movie in this space. The Speedway footprint is big, but not THAT big. In addition, it was initially considered as a water coaster, at least in part, but I argued that it didn't seem like a smart idea, given the numerous roller coasters in that area. Not only is there Space Mountain and the upcoming Tron, but you also had the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and The Great Goofini's Barnstormer nearby. I just didn't think that five coasters in a small area was the best idea. I received a response back as them doing it as a regular flume ride instead, but even so, the space seemed too small for a huge concept. So I went with just Monstro, which necessitated a wholesale redo to try and keep it limited to just that one part.

mharrington

Original Poster
The queue is a tough one, you could either enter....

Geppetto's shop,
a Waterfront village and pier,
a Cave,
a Beach
or a Sunken Ship
I want to help better ease the transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. Maybe a cave might be best. I believe a shipwreck can be found at the entrance to the Little Mermaid ride, so that won't work.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
I want to help better ease the transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. Maybe a cave might be best. I believe a shipwreck can be found at the entrance to the Little Mermaid ride, so that won't work.
Haven’t been following the thread, but are you talking about how to transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland? I would consider doing something like the Galaxy’s Edge tunnel, with futuristic geometric rockwork on the TL side and more natural looking rockwork on the FL side.

mharrington

Original Poster
Haven’t been following the thread, but are you talking about how to transition from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland? I would consider doing something like the Galaxy’s Edge tunnel, with futuristic geometric rockwork on the TL side and more natural looking rockwork on the FL side.
That's kind of what I was thinking: natural on the Fantasyland side and futuristic on the Tomorrowland side.

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, to try and recap on the final part, here's all I've got:

You see a Monstro figure rise up and knock you and Pinocchio's group backward onto a small beach. As I said, I don't want to end on something as sad as Pinocchio's near-death. I don't think park guests would like to see that. The best I could do is understatement: just having the characters heard crying, but not seen crying, and then you see a bright light as the Blue Fairy brings Pinocchio back to life. It could be like that alternate closing idea for the movie, which supposedly ends with the group on the beach, the video for which I put up on post 15. However, I'm a little leery about ending with Pinocchio as a real boy, as guests might get confused if they decide to ride again.

What do you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom