Photoshop VS alternatives

belindaocean

Original Poster
Hi, everyone! I am interested in the editing software. I know that there is Photoshop, never worked with that. Do you know any alternatives to it? Or any tricks and tips for the photoshop beginners?:);)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Hi, everyone! I am interested in the editing software. I know that there is Photoshop, never worked with that. Do you know any alternatives to it? Or any tricks and tips for the photoshop beginners?:);)
Are you looking for mainly working with photos from a digital camera, or something else?

Adobe Lightroom is a better bet for most photo needs.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Are you looking for mainly working with photos from a digital camera, or something else?

Adobe Lightroom is a better bet for most photo needs.

I've been experimenting with it for about a year and like it a lot.

I can accomplish the same thing I'd use Photoshop for but not quite as easily. It's pretty complex, but I give Photoshop the edge based on documentation. Gimp wins on price/value overall.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I can accomplish the same thing I'd use Photoshop for but not quite as easily. It's pretty complex, but I give Photoshop the edge based on documentation. Gimp wins on price/value overall.
I used PhotoShop back in the 90's (along with Ulead PhotoImpact). I transitioned to Gimp in the 2000's and its served me well since then.

belindaocean

Original Poster
Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for your replies. Well, I am looking for the photoshop alternatives due to 2 reasons. First, as far as I know photoshop is more expensive than its alternatives. Second, I assume it is more difficult to use Photoshop. I am looking for advantages and disadvantages of alternatives to compare and choose the right one. :)

lazyboy97o

Hi, everyone! Thank you so much for your replies. Well, I am looking for the photoshop alternatives due to 2 reasons. First, as far as I know photoshop is more expensive than its alternatives. Second, I assume it is more difficult to use Photoshop. I am looking for advantages and disadvantages of alternatives to compare and choose the right one. :)
Adobe has shifted their apps to a subscription model. You no longer pay a few hundred dollars for a single version of Photoshop. Instead you pay each month, and you can get access to Photoshop CC for $10/month. That said, it is hard to offer advice without knowing your intentions. Lots of people doing lots of different things use Photoshop and similar software.

belindaocean

Original Poster
Yeah I don't like the idea of a subscription-based model, as I don't really use it that much. Looking through this guide, they mention GIMP, Paint and a few others. Are there any on the list that people like/dislike? GIMP seems to be the best alternative from what I've gathered...
By the way, I saw that some editing software do not provide CMYK mode. Do you think it can be a problem? Or having RGB is enough?

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
GIMP is pretty solid. Note: I am not a graphic artist! There are several CMYK plugins available, but I'm not qualified to offer an informed opinion on how well they work. For what I need to do "close enough" suffices. YMMV.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom