News PHOTOS - Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and other stars from Toy Story 4 visit Toy Story Land at Disney's Hollywood Studios

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Wait, Keanu Reeves is in Toy Story 4? Awesome.
"Welcome to Toy Story, Mr Anderson..."

DisneyOutsider

I wonder if they were all as underwhelmed we were when we went into the area...After seeing the great job they did for Carsland, this is a huuge disappointment... a huge hot as heck lacking shade disappointment

Honestly if you were expecting Cars land.. that's on you.

They did a pretty good job showing us what this was and what it wasn't on the front end.

Casper Gutman

Honestly if you were expecting Cars land.. that's on you.

They did a pretty good job showing us what this was and what it wasn't on the front end.
Actually, expectations of something comparable to Cars Land were entirely valid and Disney promised more then it delivered throughout the development and construction process.

MGM was an underbuilt Park from the moment it opened and plans for what amounted to a near complete redo had been percolating for over a decade. These frequently shifting plans usually included SWGE and an additional pair of major lands. At various times, these lands included a new version of Cars Land, a large Pixar Land, and/or an Indiana Jones Land.

Then, after many years of anticipation, those plans were scrapped in favor of a relatively cheap kiddie land. Official concept art for the new kiddie land was released by Disney and plastered on construction walls. And then execs cut big swathes of what was depicted in that art, massively simplifying the already underwhelming coaster and removing an entire themed section.

TSL is underwhelming. But if you view it in the context of what was planned or even what was promised early in construction, it’s downright insulting.

DisneyOutsider

Actually, expectations of something comparable to Cars Land were entirely valid

Nope.. not even close. Cars land is the best thing WDI has done stateside in a long long time (at least until Galaxy's Edge.. Pandora is debatable as well). If it wasn't clear to you from the jump that this wasn't in the same ballpark, that's not Disney's fault.

That being said, as someone who's actually been there several times, it's a really fun place with three solid attractions, a decent quick service (food-wise) and a table service still to come. For all its faults and imperfections... that's not too shabby

Casper Gutman

Nope.. not even close. Cars land is the best thing WDI has done stateside in a long long time (at least until Galaxy's Edge.. Pandora is debatable as well). If it wasn't clear to you from the jump that this wasn't in the same ballpark, that's not Disney's fault.

That being said, as someone who's actually been there several times, it's a really fun place with three solid attractions, a decent quick service (food-wise) and a table service still to come. For all its faults and imperfections... that's not too shabby

“From the jump” and for many years after, the redo plans that produced TSL LITERALLY included Cars Land... AND a second land of comparable size and quality.

ToTBellHop

During its announcement, Kathy Mangum literally likened TSL to Cars Land. She specifically said it would be of the same caliber.

Bocabear

Either you work for Disney, or are very easily pleased... I am not saying they did not put design time into the land, but for what was envisioned and originally promised, it is pretty underwhelming. It just needed more... and Honestly it just needed a better theme.
Maybe if they cloned the Paratroopers and half pipe car ride from Hong Kong and added them in... Not sure... I just thought it was less than I expected...and overhearing others around me in the parks including kids and families saying "Is this all there is?" It's not just me.
It's not the worst thing... They just could and should have done better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom