Photos - Storybook Circus soft opening

Scuttle

So seeing a bunch of fiberglass Dumbos on arms running in circles makes you dream that anything can come true. I'm not attacking you but I think you are helping to make my point. I want to be transported to the 1940's and immersed in another world. The water and Dumbo spinner doesn't do it for me at least. Now an inverted Dumbo ride system similar to ET might do the trick...and it doesn't have to flip even once.

So true! The fact that the Dumbos weren't even enhanced to move about the lateral axis(like carpets) is pretty much a joke. The carpets, as much as I hate the placement, are actually kinda fun to ride because of this extra movement.

dman1373

So seeing a bunch of fiberglass Dumbos on arms running in circles makes you dream that anything can come true. I'm not attacking you but I think you are helping to make my point. I want to be transported to the 1940's and immersed in another world. The water and Dumbo spinner doesn't do it for me at least. Now an inverted Dumbo ride system similar to ET might do the trick...and it doesn't have to flip even once.

i get what your saying, but first off dumbo is a ultra classic attraction, that if they really do anything besides what they have done, they would get a huge backlash. And like i said its for kids of all ages, thats what the circus was, and its not the hugest area so you cant have build a dark ride worth the wait time without messing up the themeing of the area. So they have their hands tied at what they could do with this area, but i think they did a great job. Because like i said it looks like a 1940's circus, with some magic thrown in their, atleast to me.

With all that said, i do want something new to come to florida, something groundbreaking, so i do know where your coming from. And i understand that you think all of this should be plused, but i still think it was a nice area to go to and gives alot more depth to fantasyland, both figuratively and literally.

Scuttle

The dark ride they are lacking for Storybook Circus should have been that Mickey Mad House ride I have read about... Seems like that ride is a perfect fit for Storybook Circus... And seemed like something EVERYONE could enjoy, not just the 5 year olds...

Agreed.

The Empress Lilly

Blocking undesirable views with landscaping is what SeaWorld does. a very agreeable, very pleasant park, mind.

But it is not what Disney does. Disney is about disguising a massive theater and restaurant as an 18th century American colonial square. Disney is about making four large rides look like a quaint European village. That's what Disney does.

'Some trees' don't cut it. Possibly, they succeed too, and the show buildings will be hidden behind foliage. Fine. But the effect will still be that of 'my, what a lovely, well landscaped amusement park', instead of 'Wow wow wow!! I'm walking in turn of the century America!!'

devoy1701

Blocking undesirable views with landscaping is what SeaWorld does. a very agreeable, very pleasant park, mind.

But it is not what Disney does. Disney is about disguising a massive theater and restaurant as an 18th century American colonial square. Disney is about making four large rides look like a quaint European village. That's what Disney does.

'Some trees' don't cut it. Possibly, they succeed too, and the show buildings will be hidden behind foliage. Fine. But the effect will still be that of 'my, what a lovely, well landscaped amusement park', instead of 'Wow wow wow!! I'm walking in turn of the century America!!'

good point.

mvieguy

wow, the fact is, the soft opening was a mere four days ago, and we have concentrated more on the negative then the positive,

and heres the deal, the whole FLE as a whole has not opened, and very very small piece of it did. so how about we wait until its entirely finished before we have our hissy fits about what is not "eye pleasing" and what "Show Buildings" have not been hid. how do you know they dont have something in mind. but at this stage, they are not worried about it. and will EVENTUALLY be worked out

until then relax and just enjoy .

ToTBellHop

I would love a spinner - dark ride combo! Also, the MK is drastically short on dark rides. To think they are even going to demolish another! :fork:

But spinners are spinners. I'm not going to slag off Dumbo itself just because I'm underwhelmed with the Fantasyland Reclamation Project.

A Dumbo spinner has a place regardless of dark ride concerns. From day one (I think?) Disneyland's Fantasyland has had a spinner, a carrousel, teacups. These things have their place too in a Disney park.
Not in Adventureland, where a mechanical spinner by default is a complete theme destroyer. But rockets soarin' high above Tomorrowland, and flying elephants somewhere in Fantasyland? Yes, absolutely. They add movement to their lands, and there's no denying the littlest kids love to ride them.
Yep, and at the time, a themed spinner was impressive to people. But that was nearly 57 years ago. Most 5-year olds know how to use a computer nowadays. I'm pretty sure they would appreciate something more advanced than a spinner.

When I was 5-years old, I liked Dumbo. It was fun, if simple. But I LOVED the Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, it's a small world, and Journey Into Imagination. I certainly wasn't looking for a ride system that I could understand...what 5-year old thinks like that? It's the freakin' Magic Kingdom. To a 5-year old, it's magical--as in it doesn't matter how it works. I certainly didn't know the first thing about Pepper's Ghost when I was 5, but the Haunted Mansion was mind-blowing and I thought it was real. I was never tricked in to thinking I was actually flying on a skewered Dumbo. Dumbo is a ride (and there is a place for rides in the parks), but Disney is well-known and worth $90/day for the attractions that it builds (and used to build in Florida).
wow, the fact is, the soft opening was a mere four days ago, and we have concentrated more on the negative then the positive,

and heres the deal, the whole FLE as a whole has not opened, and very very small piece of it did. so how about we wait until its entirely finished before we have our hissy fits about what is not "eye pleasing" and what "Show Buildings" have not been hid. how do you know they dont have something in mind. but at this stage, they are not worried about it. and will EVENTUALLY be worked out

10 years ago, we wouldn't have been worried. We would have trusted. Then Disney did this and our mindset changed:
2678836074_8a12e93e32.jpg

By the way, 10 years ago, they also would not have opened an area to guests that was not SHOW-ready. It's no wonder the Keys to the Kingdom tour no longer mentions to keys--they don't want us to know about them (or maybe they've forgotten what they are)! It's supposed to be Safety, Courtesy, Show, Efficiency, in that order. Efficiency has cut in front of at least Show (and some would argue the other two) in recent years...

COProgressFan

Very well said. And as some other posters indicated, I believe this is the first unthemed plain show building built in the the MK without really any effort whatsoever to hide it. While warehouse-y show buildings are visible in many locations if guests are really looking for them, this seems to be a case where they didn't even try to hide or disguise it. Its like they seem to have forgotten all of the principles that made the MK what it was to begin with.

At this point, it either needs to be painted in such a way to make it look like something other than a big boxy building, or the area around it needs to be heavily landscaped to hide it. And I'm not sure either approach is ideal.

lazyboy97o

A soft open is not supposed to be a premature open. It is about working out final little details, not big things like a show building sitting out in the open. We who are not connected also know a great deal about the biggest part of the project, Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid, is a duplicate of an attraction that has been open since last summer.

Very well said. And as some other posters indicated, I believe this is the first unthemed plain show building built in the the MK without really any effort whatsoever to hide it. While warehouse-y show buildings are visible in many locations if guests are really looking for them, this seems to be a case where they didn't even try to hide or disguise it. Its like they seem to have forgotten all of the principles that made the MK what it was to begin with.
The principles of the Magic Kingdom have widely been deemed passé inside The Walt Disney Company. The parks are not about creating worlds, they are just another outlet for film and television franchises.

rioriz

So true! The fact that the Dumbos weren't even enhanced to move about the lateral axis(like carpets) is pretty much a joke. The carpets, as much as I hate the placement, are actually kinda fun to ride because of this extra movement.

I actually rode the carpets for the first time a few months ago at night and actually enjoyed it! I would ride them again before I ride Dumbo...and to confess in my 30 years...I have never ridden Dumbo :zipit:

tl77

It looks like there's plenty of room for trees around the Dumbo Show building, but just for fun, take a look at the 1971 "Wonderful World of Disney" grand opening T.V. show with Julie Andrews and Bob Hope, and count the number of exposed show buildings and lack of trees, it's crazy to see how little they had going on back then

dcibrando

Some of this talk is absolutely ridiculous... because you can see the part of a show building it's like armageddon or something. For those of you who think there is no visilibly of the sides or show buildings ride the TTA, Train, Monorail, etc. and see what you find. They should close Everest and never open the doors on ToT because of what you may see. I cannot believe the backstage tour actually shows you the back side of the canyon (actually I can't believe it's still an attraction but that's another story haha). Those projectors in the MK...ruined main street. Last but not least... they should never ever evac'ed anyone from an attraction in fear they may see something not themed... I mean what are they thinking?

cmon people... I know we all expect more from Disney and prices continue to rise, etc. but when my family and I are there... I do not let a small green part of a building (which will likely eventually be hidden) ruin my life or vacation. If I had to choose between Storybook Circus v/s No Storybook Circus because on the backside of a building in site... i think I'd vote to still build it and all the thousands of kids with smiling faces that go in and out of it each day would agree.

Will some of it eventually be covered up? I don't know... I would think they would look into covering it from the speedway side at least... but if not, they could easily look at covering some things up more or painting it and using it as a mural or billboard-like for something themed to the area you see it from.

devoy1701

Some of this talk is absolutely ridiculous... because you can see the part of a show building it's like armageddon or something. For those of you who think there is no visilibly of the sides or show buildings ride the TTA, Train, Monorail, etc. and see what you find. They should close Everest and never open the doors on ToT because of what you may see. I cannot believe the backstage tour actually shows you the back side of the canyon (actually I can't believe it's still an attraction but that's another story haha). Those projectors in the MK...ruined main street. Last but not least... they should never ever evac'ed anyone from an attraction in fear they may see something not themed... I mean what are they thinking?

cmon people... I know we all expect more from Disney and prices continue to rise, etc. but when my family and I are there... I do not let a small green part of a building (which will likely eventually be hidden) ruin my life or vacation. If I had to choose between Storybook Circus v/s No Storybook Circus because on the backside of a building in site... i think I'd vote to still build it and all the thousands of kids with smiling faces that go in and out of it each day would agree.

Will some of it eventually be covered up? I don't know... I would think they would look into covering it from the speedway side at least... but if not, they could easily look at covering some things up more or painting it and using it as a mural or billboard-like for something themed to the area you see it from.

I love how valid complaints on show quality always turn into:

OMG...I can't believe you think (insert appropriate noun here) ruins your vacation! You people are ridiculous!

Because that is definitely hitting the nail on the head. We all think that being able to see the show building is a vacation ruiner. :rolleyes:

~the hyperbole is much stronger from the Pixie Dust Brigade~

dcibrando

hey.. I'm not saying I don't think it should be fixed... but to rip Disney a new one for actually trying to give us more (rather than just take more with the same 'ol stuff) is crazy

I didn't say that you "complainers" let it ruin your vacation either... I just said it doesn't ruin mine

your website is all about "fixing" disney world so it sounds to me like you let the negatives out-weigh the positives. I"m just as guilty sometimes spotting things that aren't a big deal... but we need to just go to the world and relax instead of investigate and point out the "bad stuff". There are plenty of good things an I have to keep coming back to this... my daughter is 3 and as I see other kids smiling and having the time of their life...the last thing they are thinking about is the bad stuff. maybe we should take a lesson from them

whylightbulb

Sinbad was better before the change. They took a ride that had monsters and actual threats for Sinbad to face and transformed what was essentially the cute but manly baby of It's a Small World and Pirates of the Caribbean into a stereotype of what people think of what Disney does to stories, removing all conflict and inserting a cute animal sidekick.

Inserting a song as a unifying element is fine, but why couldn't they have Menken give us something more adventurous?
This of course comes down to opinion but I believe the new version is a wonderful improvement over the previous. When a dark ride can convey its story through mostly the visuals and can compel a solid emotional response it succeeds on a cinematic level. There are very few rides that have achieved that in my opinion. Sinbad doesn't need exposition, which is effective in a book but not nearly as much in an attraction. I felt the old version was more a collection of impassive tableaus where I didn't care about the characters. Yes the AAs were spiffy but without the context of the unifying song there was no connection other than looking at nice sets and animatronics.

This is definitely how Small World should be. It's not Indy and it's not Pirates. It doesn't need us to experience danger or conflict. We can see Sinbad had to overcome each obstacle to get to his goal at the end. We see the end results of each one and it's happy and its cute in some parts. That's what this ride is - a lavish musical ride-through production. The payoff at the finale with the rousing chorus, bright colorful lights and collection of amazing costumes, sets and AAs is so worth it.

ChristianG

We're not upset about it ruining our trips (I mean, come on, that's pretty pathetic for a trip to be ruined just because of this)
But we're more upset about how it looks like Disney doesn't even care about what we see and what we don't see.
As someone said before, this was a soft opening, not a premature opening. They should have had everything in order and looking great because that's the standard that they set for themselves, and the fact that the Dumbo building has been and still is visible from multiple locations, it bothers us.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't mind that you can see the Dumbo tent from the Barnstormer as they are both rides in the same sub-land. It adds some energy to the Barnstormer as you can see the Dumbos circling around and the bright colors of the tent. In Disneyland, Fantasyland is more intimate, and rides intrude on the visual spaces of each other, such as Casey Jr. Train and Storybookland canal boats, in fact, you get a synergy.

This new Dumbo has a good background, the circus tent, which makes you feel that you are really flying above structures on the ground. The Dumbos will circle in opposite directions so that when you enter the interactive queue, all of the Dumbos are flying at you, instead of seeing Dumbo's rear . . .

While they could easily put some trees/greenery between Barnstormer and the Dumbos, then you wouldn't get to see anything on the Barnstormer as the ride doesn't have much to see on its own. Its all about atmosphere.

jt04

JT, you are a hoot (hey Lee ... you got an owl smiley handy?) ... do I have to bring out the Walt quote about 'if you aim for kids, you're dead?'

The MK has gone from being a place where MOST of the park was fit for ages 7-97 to one where everything has to appeal to impressionable 5-year-olds. It is NOT at all what the MK was supposed to be about. It's laughable when you say there wasn't enough for the younger demos when that is what the park has become. What attractions are unfit for most children?

And where has Disney spent billions on things for older demos? They shuttered PI (as I'm sure you must have noticed:rolleyes:). If you look at the four parks there is very little that the typical seven year-old can't do.

It's just your typical schtick of trying to be argumentative just for the sake of it.

~Some people should go work for Disney Social Media!~

Yes but Eisner built PI before they closed it. And the WestEnd. This was one of Eisner's biggest initiatives; to create a company perceived as less family oriented and more progressive most easily seen in media content. But that business model is a bit flawed because Disney was built on the idea of repeating generations being locked in as future customers which they largely are if they remember their experiences as magical. They want their children to have a similar experience.

Eisner built things like Splash, Alien Encounter, ToT, RnRC, Everest, Countdown, KRR, the Safari (with a theme that some smaller children can be troubled by and is therefore being changed), two major water parks that have many attractions that are height restricted, Mission:Space. Even the early version of Disney-MGM was not exactly modeled for the same audience as the MK was. I want to be clear, I think this was all good and necessary and I am not complaining. But except for some spinners, water play areas, playground such as the dig area in Dinoland and temporary lands and minor adds (BirthdayLand, Nemo at The Seas), most capital projects went to older skewing attractions. The FLE is designed to fix this neglect and there is no doubt it will go a long way towards doing that.

Now others are commenting that the FLE is only appealing to very young guests and not thier parents. This is flat out untrue. The common thread within the FLE are adds that will be fun for children AND their parents. All these adds are obviously geared towards parents being able to share the experience with their younger children. Every new attraction is designed to do that as far as is possible including the new mine train. This also includes watching them enjoy the interactive queues rather than watching them suffer through hour long waits. This can't be said for restricted attractions such as Splash, BTMRR, Space Mountain and for some even the Stitch attraction. The attractions in Fantasyland were too few to satisfy this demo and allow for a 'magical experience' for young families. Just compare it to Disneyland (funny how people avoid doing so when it does not fit the agenda) and you can't deny the MK had to fix the problem. And they are now doing so. The crowds will amaze people I think.

Hence the problem...typical corporate MBA thinking that will never allow for progress. Despite the lagging economy WDW has consistently maintained a very steady, if not growing, attendance. I realize some of this is due to discounting but the fact remains that the parks themselves are packed, even in what used to be slow seasons.

Besides that the best times for expansion are when construction costs are low and vendors are desperate. First it was 911, then it was the economy, then the economy again. Enough of the excuses! The economy has very little to do with why they aren't producing top quality product, it's a philosophy straight out of the pits of MBA Hell:mad: I'm tired of branding, outside IPs and rigged surveys. Give us the next Pirates or the next IJA!!!

I agree with you here without a doubt. I believe allowing WDI to have whatever it wants and essentially a blank check will always pay off. Carsland and the DCA makeover will hopefully prove the point.

Tom

Beta Return
I had an epiphany today, while out at one of my jobsites. We're building a gigantic lazy river right now. There's an inspector on the job who nitpicks everything apart.

When he yells about something not being right, or doesn't match the plans, or doesn't look perfect - we continually remind him that, "We're not done yet!"

I'm going to step back and give Disney the courtesy that my company deserves on our project. When it's all complete, and all the walls are down, and they have the dedication - that's when we can either say, "Oh, great, they DID put up a small forest behind Dumbo and the building is gone." or "They really blew it on this one."

Until then, I will keep reminding myself that I'm happy there isn't an internet full of forums analyzing my construction projects :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I had an epiphany today, while out at one of my jobsites. We're building a gigantic lazy river right now. There's an inspector on the job who nitpicks everything apart.

When he yells about something not being right, or doesn't match the plans, or doesn't look perfect - we continually remind him that, "We're not done yet!"

I'm going to step back and give Disney the courtesy that my company deserves on our project. When it's all complete, and all the walls are down, and they have the dedication - that's when we can either say, "Oh, great, they DID put up a small forest behind Dumbo and the building is gone." or "They really blew it on this one."

Until then, I will keep reminding myself that I'm happy there isn't an internet full of forums analyzing my construction projects :)

Could be worse, look at the way people are tearing up the Avatar project without even knowing what's going to be in it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom