PHOTOS - Monorail Coral emerges from the paint shop after shedding its TRONorail skin

peachykeen

The adhesive used on a body wrap does no paint damage whatsoever. It is wrapped on and removed using heat guns and goop solvents. The paint would come out looking just the same as it did before.

Sadly the Monorail Management team was not fully aware of the installation/removal techniques. All I can say is that they were fully expecting to have to completely repaint whatever train was wrapped, and they chose Coral due to the dull, unmatched, cracked, misaligned paint.

puntagordabob

And they removed the D's when they repainted the cab sections.

I wonder why? Especially with all the nostolgia of the 40th....

Excuse me but I work there. My quotes were straight out of a Monorail Shop manager's mouth.

Nice! Id enjoy working on the monorails (I think lol). I am sorry that the other poster came off like that...I think I speak for most of us that we are very Happy you are a member here who also works for the company.....

I sure hope they keep the windows clean.... the Mickey balloons would look great on my car and all (though my wife would disagree lol. I Wonder if one of these will appear one day for me to purchase????) but I honestly think the monorails without all the gimmickry or ADs look much more professional....

montyz81

Excuse me but I work there. My quotes were straight out of a Monorail Shop manager's mouth.

Oh and the process to fully repaint a Monorail is this:
The train is towed onto Beam 10 of the maintenance shop. They leave all the Cars except Car 6 outside the Shop.
Car six iss the first to be stripped which takes about a day. (The paint booth is only large enough to do one car at a time.
Once each car is done, the train is pushed one car farther into the Shop and the next car is stripped. This is done in this sequence (Car 6-Car 1} so the bare fiberglass isn't sitting exposed and unpainted outside.

Once the entire train is stripped and is fully inside the Shop, (this means Car 1 was the last to be stripped and is now in the paint booth which is located just inside the bay door to beam 10), Car 1 is painted white then striped then clear coated. The painting takes about a day per car.

The tractor pulls the train out one car at a time, one day at a time, until Car 6 is the last to be painted. This ensures that no bare cars are exposed. As the train goes in, its stripped. As it comes out, its painted.

It takes about 12-14 days therefore.

I never claimed to be an expert, those were your words. But I do know what I'm talking about.

2 questions:
1) How did they paint Teal and keep it from the public's eyes until it was done
2) How come they keep removing the "D" on the cabs? Those are classic Mark IV and VI trademarks!!!

peachykeen

2 questions:
1) How did they paint Teal and keep it from the public's eyes until it was done
2) How come they keep removing the "D" on the cabs? Those are classic Mark IV and VI trademarks!!!

Teal was painted Car 1 to Car 6 like the others. I remember because the first night, they forgot to include the delta on Car 1 so we all thought it was Blue. They may have pushed it back inside during the day though. I can't remember.

We dont ever get an explanation for that. Either they forget, or it's intentional. No one seems to know!

montyz81

Teal was painted Car 1 to Car 6 like the others. I remember because the first night, they forgot to include the delta on Car 1 so we all thought it was Blue. They may have pushed it back inside during the day though. I can't remember.

We dont ever get an explanation for that. Either they forget, or it's intentional. No one seems to know!

I'd be happy to set up a petition to get them back, who wants to sign it?

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Sadly the Monorail Management team was not fully aware of the installation/removal techniques. All I can say is that they were fully expecting to have to completely repaint whatever train was wrapped, and they chose Coral due to the dull, unmatched, cracked, misaligned paint.

The overall concept is simple. It's crazy they wouldn't have known that. I assist my friend's road race team all the time with the application and removal of full body wraps. We heat, strip, clean, wash, wax, and you never know it was there. One of them had a full summer season with the wrap at VIR, Summit Point, Road Atlanta, and Sebring. The sucker came right off with no problem.

boufa

Oh and the process to fully repaint a Monorail is this:
The train is towed onto Beam 10 of the maintenance shop. They leave all the Cars except Car 6 outside the Shop.
Car six iss the first to be stripped which takes about a day. (The paint booth is only large enough to do one car at a time.
Once each car is done, the train is pushed one car farther into the Shop and the next car is stripped. This is done in this sequence (Car 6-Car 1} so the bare fiberglass isn't sitting exposed and unpainted outside.

Once the entire train is stripped and is fully inside the Shop, (this means Car 1 was the last to be stripped and is now in the paint booth which is located just inside the bay door to beam 10), Car 1 is painted white then striped then clear coated. The painting takes about a day per car.

The tractor pulls the train out one car at a time, one day at a time, until Car 6 is the last to be painted. This ensures that no bare cars are exposed. As the train goes in, its stripped. As it comes out, its painted.

It takes about 12-14 days therefore.

I never claimed to be an expert, those were your words. But I do know what I'm talking about.

I am also very glad that you work there, and that you are willing to share with us the process. Just out of curiosity, how was I to know that you work there? There are arm chair imagineers and experts on everything on this board (and all the other Disney fan sites, so don't flame me to go somewhere else) who hate everything and think that they know better than everyone else. I was just trying to smack some sense into the concept that somehow this was yet another grand failure from the people who cannot seem to do anything right. I thought that a quick turn around on a monorail paint job was a particularly silly thing to think was a failure. Then to top it off others jumped in and agreed that it was sad.

Does Disney make mistakes, sure they are run by humans. Any organization that you look at that closely will show some flaws. Have they made some real dumb decisions, maybe some they should have seen coming, sure. But constant negative view of everything (with total ignoring or glossing over anything positive) gets tiring. :brick:

The insight you provided with the details of what we were actually seeing in the pictures was excellent and the kind of thing I am looking for when I read the boards.

Now, I'm headed back to the Fantasy Land Expansion forums where I am sure to find an excellent debate on how the rebar that Disney is using on Beast Castle looks subpar and clearly a cost savings measure. :lol: (please tell me you are not also working on the cement crew, I cannot be that unlucky :D)

Starry9281

I'm no expert but I remember when they had the Stitch stickers on the sides of the trains (not the windows) and when they took them off, it took the clear coat (plus some paint) off with it. For months there were Stitch "outlines" on Monorail Yellow. And again, maybe I'm wrong, but wouldn't a full train wrap be a lot harder on a paint job than just one smallish sticker?

If they were planning on having to repaint the entire train, obviously there was money in the budget for it. A.) Why wouldn't they repaint the train anyway? and B.) If the money isn't being used for that, maybe they should be asked what other improvements we should look forward to that they are earmarking that money for. The way I see it, their labor costs just went waaaay down by reducing the hours of operation and now not painting Coral? I'm sure we'll see some great things from them in the coming months! (yes, that was sarcasm...)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom