PHOTOS - Latest Fantasyland construction site update (August 17 2012)

FigmentJedi

So One Hundred Acre Woods was within the castle courtyard before?

I understand the "point" but are they really necessary? Would ANYONE really care or notice the whole 'inside the castle grounds/outside the castle grounds' thing if they weren't making such a big deal about it by adding the walls? They don't have the walls at Disneyland and somehow the Fantasyland there seems to function just fine.
Comparing Apples and Oranges there.

Clamman73

On Seven Dwarfs, I'm still a little confused about the saltbox like structure in front of the now cement enclosed hill portion of the ride.
Something going to be inside there?

Ignohippo

Comparing Apples and Oranges there.

How? It's exactly the same thing. The Hundred Acre Woods playground was right where SWMT is going.

And I'll say it again, Disneyland doesn't have the castle walls and I don't see anyone wandering around wondering if they are within the castle grounds or not. It's all one Fantasyland and it works very well.

Skyway

Another reason for the walls seems to be giving the area some depth and dimension in a park built for large crowds.

If you look at the photo posted near the beginning of this thread, you can see the huge expanse of pavement between Pinnochio Village Haus and the new additions.

The wall breaks that up that space and gives it dimensions.

There isn't enough room there to build another attraction or shop. And even if they did jam something in that area, it would then likely create the same type of bottleneck that Disney is spending a fortune to eliminate near IASW/PP.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
On Seven Dwarfs, I'm still a little confused about the saltbox like structure in front of the now cement enclosed hill portion of the ride.
Something going to be inside there?

I am guessing that that structure is forming the ceiling of the load/unload area inside the ride. None of the structure should be visible from the outside once the whole thing is wrapped in rockwork.

jt04

And I'll say it again, Disneyland doesn't have the castle walls and I don't see anyone wandering around wondering if they are within the castle grounds or not. It's all one Fantasyland and it works very well.

It will be an entirely different aesthetic. The design goes back to an original concept for WDW's FL. By the time they are finished I do not think you will be able to tell old FL from new FL. It will blend together and function as one 'show'.

And I think there will be more to the courtyard than just an open plaza with the carosel. It will tell a story and be part of the immersion.

dman1373

It doesn't mean it couldn't make it better. There trying to add to the theming by make little area types of where the fantasyland movies and things take place. While just having everything together wouldn't look bad, separating them just adds that much more atmosphere. Its essentially them plussing. Also it allows them to control the sightlines that much better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom