PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

BoarderPhreak

Oh noes! The centerpiece of the lobby is iconic. Though it does block the view from, well, pretty much everywhere - to everywhere else. I would've gone with a lower profile, but kept it. Don't like the new design one bit. And it has nothing to do with being resistant to change... The new design is definitely generic and boring.

But let's face it, the Poly does need some help, especially with the new bungalos coming online. I think we can do without Trader Sam's, but kudos on the name.

Scuttle

I hate it when designers aren't willing to properly marry form and function. I get why they would want to make a change - the waterfall takes up a space, but to basically throw form out the window? - hardly a good thing when it comes to a Deluxe level hotel lobby. They couldn't find a way to make this unique water\greenery feature of the Poly stay in some shape way or form and still provide the accessibility and openness (I'm guessing)they're shooting for? I think they're just lazy.
I don't get any of it. Why mess with the most successful resort on property that has an insane cult following? I mean really why? ADA? Not buying it PPF has needed it for two decades and they haven't messed with that, so why a lobby at a successful resort!?!? WHY?

KC00

I have never even stayed at the Poly so I don't have anywhere near the emotional attachment to it that so many Disney fans do. I am also generally in favor of updates and changes. Having said that, I think the removal of the water feature is real shame and totally takes away from what made the Poly special. Though I never stayed there, I would dine there every 3rd trip or so, and always loved that moment of entering the lobby and hearing the waterfall. Bad move, Disney.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I think its fantastic, lovely clean lines, brings freshness and light to a dull dank space dominated by an old fashioned waterfall. Full marks to Disney for being brave enough to sacrifice one of the resorts most iconic aesthetic pieces which generated no income to allow folk to move quicker to the parks and merchandising areas. Trebles and bonuses all round.

Virtual Toad

I struggle to understand why WDW/TDO continually ignores the overhwelming/hearfelt/readily evident wishes and desires of its customer base when it makes changes like these. It's a pattern of behavior that started in September 1998 and continues to this day.

I struggle to understand it, because just once they could say "Hey, we hear you and due to popular demand...."

They could reap huge amounts of customer goodwill by listening to their customers every once in awhile. :(

EDIT/ADDITION: Does anyone else feel the Trader Sam's concept art is underwhelming (like fifth grade art student underwhelming)? Especially after seeing the concept art for the DL version. This artwork makes the venue seem like a small bar and a few barstools tucked into a corner of the lobby, not a full-fledged lounge. :(

Bocabear

I am sure there is some reason they want the floor space but they are not revealing that yet... Maybe vending carts....another expanded DVC kiosk... There was also a rumor a while back that the whole building was slated to be demolished and a new lobby and restaurants going in it's place.... but who knows, maybe this got cut.

asianway

I am sure there is some reason they want the floor space but they are not revealing that yet... Maybe vending carts....another expanded DVC kiosk... There was also a rumor a while back that the whole building was slated to be demolished and a new lobby and restaurants going in it's place.... but who knows, maybe this got cut.
Demolishing GCH to give them the space they really need was the way to go but $$$.

See the slow transformation of the north side of the Contemporary Concourse from common areas to a merch shop to see what will end up happening

Father Robinson

I struggle to understand why WDW/TDO continually ignores the overhwelming/hearfelt/readily evident wishes and desires of its customer base when it makes changes like these. It's a pattern of behavior that started in September 1998 and continues to this day.

I struggle to understand it, because just once they could say "Hey, we hear you and due to popular demand...."

They could reap huge amounts of customer goodwill by listening to their customers every once in awhile. :(

EDIT/ADDITION: Does anyone else feel the Trader Sam's concept art is underwhelming (like fifth grade art student underwhelming)? Especially after seeing the concept art for the DL version. This artwork makes the venue seem like a small bar and a few barstools tucked into a corner of the lobby, not a full-fledged lounge. :(
THIS!!!

TDO, I HOPE SINCERELY THAT YOU READ THIS. THIS IS AN EPIC FAILURE!! IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT, IF IT IS BROKE FIX IT. The fountain in the lobby, where it may have had faults, definitely was the star of the show for MILLIONS OF REPEAT GUESTS FOR DECADES!!!! You just killed it. I am truly ashamed right now. Anything else you'd like to remove while you're at it? Is the castle becoming too difficult to clean and maintain?!!

BoarderPhreak

It seems like a small lobby bar to me. There's always the Tambu Lounge upstairs. Why they felt the need to demo the best feature of the lobby though, is simply beyond me. And if this turns into some super merchandising push similar to that in the Contemporary (which ruined it)... Good luck. I think Disney's trying too hard to push Poly into the "deluxe" category with glitz and glamour - where none is needed.

Soarin' Over Pgh

It seems like a small lobby bar to me. There's always the Tambu Lounge upstairs. Why they felt the need to demo the best feature of the lobby though, is simply beyond me. And if this turns into some super merchandising push similar to that in the Contemporary (which ruined it)... Good luck. I think Disney's trying too hard to push Poly into the "deluxe" category with glitz and glamour - where none is needed.

But that water feature is what made the Poly's lobby whole and centered... and made it feel like a "deluxe" resort. :(

If they truly wanted to change it, fine. Change the floor, add more bamboo. Change the rockwork on the outside of the feature. But don't gut the damn thing just for a huge swath of open space.

CJR

Disney definitely seems to have a disconnect with its hotel guests. It’s like they have this logic: “Our guests don’t know what they like; we’re going to tell them.” That’s a very bad approach.

I do like that they did keep a water element in the lobby, but come on, it’s way, way less grand than the old lobby design. How did this even get approved? Basically, they took what made this place great and condensed it into a tiny generic fountain.

The lobby is often the first and last impression a guest has at the hotel and I believe that the guest experience just got a lot less satisfying.

Disney, it’s not too late to change this and do it right.

BoarderPhreak

But that water feature is what made the Poly's lobby whole and centered... and made it feel like a "deluxe" resort. :(
Oh, I totally agree.

I mean, I can see why they might want to change it. Like I said, it blocked the view from one side to the other pretty much everywhere. However... I don't see that as a negative per se. It made the lobby more intimate, more natural and alive. It fit the theme to a T. And of course, Dat Smell. I'm sure the suits wanted a wider open lobby so you can see the shops across the way, give them more room and give the lobby a larger appearance. On paper it all makes sense. But to guests, like Lee said - it's a total FAIL. The new look fits the Way Things Are (look at AKL) but it doesn't make it right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom