PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Sage of Time

Someone "could," sure, but bigger question is will they. There's five effects IIRC--I think it's a stretch calling them shows--and each lasts less than a minute. Sit there for an hour, you'll see each a couple times (maybe not the Nautilus). I don't see a whole lot of repeatability. Contrast with, say, the Grand Society Orchestra, who play new songs every set ... or the 6 hours of continuous new shows at the AC. If you're not drinking and/or enjoying the company of friends, I think anyone would get very bored very quickly.

Also, with the smaller bar, the shows often feel more localized to tables throughout the bar. When any guest orders an Uh Oaa in Anaheim, it's a big deal, because 80% of the bar sees it. Here, you'll notice the lights flicker, but when the show is focused across the room, not as big a deal.

Once the novelty of a first visit wears off (and even then), can't see anyone just sitting there watching the same canned effects for 3 hours straight.
But remember, it sucks compares to Disneyland, because it's not in Disneyland.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
as @71jason indicates -- "lifestylers" and off duty CMs aren't going to be packing the place every night. By the end of summer, I would expect people to be able to walk right in most of the time.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The lifestylers seem to be growing in number. TS could possibly become somewhat of a "home base" for them. Just like many people in any given city have their favorite spot that they frequent to eat or drink. Im not saying they will pack the place to the rafters, just that a few groups could easily fill the bar area and combine that with the everyday guests visiting and youve got a wait time daily.

Isnt it adults only after 8pm? If so, that means that the soccer moms and kiddos have to visit before then and that would probly be their best shot at not having to wait.

Just want to add that while there are many lifestylers who deserve the ridicule, there are some that are pretty fun to follow on twitter and IG. It seems as if there are 2 types of lifestyler. The ones who are hard core, over the top, brand slutty, dont you dare criticize Disney in any way pixie duster types. And then there are those who frequent both WDW and Uni and just have fun and are not above praising AND critiquing either park when called for. They are the ones who are at the parks several times a week, but you dont see them clamoring for a free meal at at an opening of a new restaurant or re-posting something DPB said unless its to make a joke about it. They dont sell anything or promote anything aside from an occasional podcast. I respect them just simply because they have a love for the parks without being bat poop crazy about it. Just people who live by the parks and enjoy them. And FWIW, I dont think anybody here wouldnt visit the parks just as frequently if they lived in close proximity either.

Last edited:

kkocka

I think it's a stretch calling them shows--and each lasts less than a minute.

Thankfully! Currently Grog Grotto's Uh Oa show lasts probably 20 seconds, I swear. It's way too long and needs to be trimmed and edited. Fortunately that's something that can happen (whether or not it will, who knows).

And FWIW, I dont think anybody here wouldnt visit the parks just as frequently if they lived in close proximity either.

Precisely. That's also why some people would fly 3,000 miles for the soft opening of a local tiki bar they thoroughly enjoy. :D

Sage of Time

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. The lifestylers seem to be growing in number. TS could possibly become somewhat of a "home base" for them. Just like many people in any given city have their favorite spot that they frequent to eat or drink. Im not saying they will pack the place to the rafters, just that a few groups could easily fill the bar area and combine that with the everyday guests visiting and youve got a wait time daily.
Nah. Too much of a fishbowl, there. Lifestylers are too territorial and all hate each other to actually be seen by each other in WDW. They avoid each other. Sam's isn't a place for that.

RSoxNo1

Thankfully! Currently Grog Grotto's Uh Oa show lasts probably 20 seconds, I swear. It's way too long and needs to be trimmed and edited. Fortunately that's something that can happen (whether or not it will, who knows).

Precisely. That's also why some people would fly 3,000 miles for the soft opening of a local tiki bar they thoroughly enjoy. :D
20 Seconds... that's an eternity... If it's longer than a vine video, I don't want to experience it. In unrelated news my wife has filed for divorce.

Sage of Time

CCafEiPUMAAqdbj.jpg
The waterfall is finally functional.

Sage of Time

So unimpressive and underwhelming... The outdoor furnishings so obviously bought from a catalog - This says 'mall food court' not 'Polynesia'
Nearly every single outdoor furnishing in any resort is from a catalog.

Further down from the waterfall are a ton of tiki statues, some from 1971 and Oceanic Arts, others from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Nearly every single outdoor furnishing in any resort is from a catalog.

Further down from the waterfall are a ton of tiki statues, some from 1971 and Oceanic Arts, others from Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room.

Yes that's true, However the thatched umbrella's used in the waiting area behind Tusker House would have been much more appropriate for the supposed theme of the resort. The unfortunate reality is that area looks like any mall or corporate outdoor food court not a slice of Polynesia in FL.

The reason I'm reacting so negatively to this is our corporate HQ's outside dining are has that SAME furniture with white umbrellas. It's stuff like this which speaks to a utter lack of creativity at TWDC. When I go on vacation I don't want to visit a replica of a office environment especially at Disney's price point.

Last edited:

Sage of Time

Yes that's true, However the thatched umbrella's used in the waiting area behind Tusker House would have been much more appropriate for the supposed theme of the resort. The unfortunate reality is that area looks like any mall or corporate outdoor food court not a slice of Polynesia in FL.

The reason I'm reacting so negatively to this is our corporate HQ's outside dining are has that SAME furniture with white umbrellas. It's stuff like this which speaks to a utter lack of creativity at TWDC. When I go on vacation I don't want to visit a replica of a office environment especially at Disney's price point.
I don't disagree, but it would be pretty unrealistic to expect EVERYTHING in WDW to be totally unique. The place has to be built off of SOME generic materials.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't disagree, but it would be pretty unrealistic to expect EVERYTHING in WDW to be totally unique. The place has to be built off of SOME generic materials.

I agree with that, What bugs me is this is supposed to be a THEMED resort, When I think Polynesia I think THATCH not Orange Sunbrella.

Bocabear

If the thematics of the space were better, the Sunbrella would not be an issue...I am sure they were just looking at it as a pop of color....which is always nice... but everything looks so contract-y... Like even in the Belle M&G in Fantasyland....Once you step through the mirror, the Beast's Castle interior looks like a Marriott Meeting room. Contract looking carpet, underwhelming thematic interior. I do think the Lumiere is quite good... but the rest of the Beasts Castle is just not magical at all...Looks like a hotel....Contract-y looking design...

kkocka

I have zero problems w/the outside furniture. It needs to be functional and hold up in various weather conditions. Really, the patio isn't the problem - it's what's going on inside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom