PHOTOS - A look inside the new Port Orleans Riverside 'Royal Rooms'

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I think they look great. On some levels, I still dont quite understand what they are doing at the POR resort, as they just dont fit in my mind with the theme, but on other levels, I know my daughters would flip staying in one of these, and the PO resorts are among my favorites.

DiPSU224

Thanks for the photos. As a girly-girl, I think they are cute and I'd love to stay in one. I do not however think I would choose one of the Royal Rooms over a stay at one of the deluxe hotels for about the same price.

I am interested in seeing more photos of the details of these rooms. I remember in a previous thread when they changed the concept art there was talk of a lot of the little details being removed (the apple, the genie lamp)...but more importantly, is the little mouse-hole with Jacques and Gus in there? That was my favorite part!

hpyhnt 1000

I hate to sound negative or overly critical, but to me they aren't appealing at all... just gaudy. :lookaroun

Well, at least I'm not alone in that viewpoint. :lol: Once you get past the initial first impression, I think it all looks kinda cheap, from the plywood TV frame to the paper "wood molding" around the ceiling. Even the prince and princess silhouette banners look off. But then again, I'm not the target audience for this type of room so what do I know...

I just showed the photos to two members of the target audience....they were met with great reviews! Little princesses will be quite happy with the royal ambiance in these rooms. Happy princesses = happy parents! Love the addition of the queen size beds!

ChristianG

Please remember that PO isn't a deluxe resort. So yes, the rooms aren't going to be as fancy as the Grand Floridian or the Castle Suite. I think that it's a nice, moderate room in a nice, moderate resort. I just don't understand why royal rooms were placed at Port Orleans though...

WickedQueen22

My girls are excited to try them out, however I also don't want to pay a higher rack rate for a moderate when we could upgrade for a similar price.

Jarienn

Well, I can tell you that my little 5 yr old "princess" has already fallen in love with these rooms. I'm sure it's where we'll be staying on our visit in 2012. I just wish they would have been available for our trip this year. My daughter loves the story about Princess Tiana inviting her princess friends to stay and loves the little touches from each of the princess movies. I understand completely why these are going into the Magnolia Bend section of POR and I think they fit perfectly with the theme of that side of the resort. I actually think it is an improvement to the Magnolia bend section because I always felt that those mansion like buildings were an odd fit to the rest of the resort. The rooms would have been a great fit at POFQ too, but obviously the smaller size of that resort wouldn't have allowed for as many rooms to be converted. There's so much bashing of the moderate resorts, but I'm glad to see them getting attention. It's nice to see the upgrades and although they're not on the scale of the deluxe resorts - and they're not supposed to be - it opens up new options for WDW guests. And I'm all for options. For those who don't find these rooms appealing - don't stay there. If you can afford to shell out the money for a deluxe resort, stay there. For those of us who don't want to spend that kind of money, at least we can get some royal touches for less.

devoy1701

Well, I can tell you that my little 5 yr old "princess" has already fallen in love with these rooms. I'm sure it's where we'll be staying on our visit in 2012. I just wish they would have been available for our trip this year. My daughter loves the story about Princess Tiana inviting her princess friends to stay and loves the little touches from each of the princess movies. I understand completely why these are going into the Magnolia Bend section of POR and I think they fit perfectly with the theme of that side of the resort. I actually think it is an improvement to the Magnolia bend section because I always felt that those mansion like buildings were an odd fit to the rest of the resort. The rooms would have been a great fit at POFQ too, but obviously the smaller size of that resort wouldn't have allowed for as many rooms to be converted. There's so much bashing of the moderate resorts, but I'm glad to see them getting attention. It's nice to see the upgrades and although they're not on the scale of the deluxe resorts - and they're not supposed to be - it opens up new options for WDW guests. And I'm all for options. For those who don't find these rooms appealing - don't stay there. If you can afford to shell out the money for a deluxe resort, stay there. For those of us who don't want to spend that kind of money, at least we can get some royal touches for less.

At the prices Steve mentioned of $220-$235 a night for these rooms, you can stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Wilderness Lodge. It's not a matter of if you can afford a Deluxe or not because if you can afford these rooms you can afford to stay at those 2 Deluxe resorts. That's all we're saying... If it's about preference to decor and the resort itself, that's something different.

Jarienn

At the prices Steve mentioned of $220-$235 a night for these rooms, you can stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Wilderness Lodge. It's not a matter of if you can afford a Deluxe or not because if you can afford these rooms you can afford to stay at those 2 Deluxe resorts. That's all we're saying... If it's about preference to decor and the resort itself, that's something different.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Wilderness Lodge. It is by far my favorite resort, but with 2 kids, the nightly difference can be a lot for us. We're staying at POFQ this year because we can't justify the 120/nt difference for a courtyard view room at WL since that's all that is avail for our dates. Definitely, if you can get WL or AKL for the same price as a water view or preferred room at a moderate - go for it.

The point I was trying to make is that if you compare the rack rates, which for the season when the royal rooms come into inventory are 220-235 a night, at that same time the cheapest room at WL would be 325-360 a night depending on the day of the week. That's a lot more than the price of the royal rooms if a family were to compare. Obviously, the level of service is going to be substantially different but if you figure that the target market for these rooms is probably going to be comparing them with the new AOA resort, it's a whole different ballgame. In value season, I personally could justify paying 189 a night vs 154 a night for a standard room to stay in a royal room as I've often paid the same difference to get a preferred room at CB.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think they look extremely tacky.

But, I'm clearly not their target demographic for these rooms.

If you don't like them (like me), there are plenty of other options on property (or even at this particular resort, for that matter), so I'm not losing sleep over this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom