Photography etiquette within the parks

Hayley In Wonderland

Nelson, I've never considered this opinion before. I'm a single guy that never does any direct interaction with characters, but I will snap a pic of a character interacting with a child. It's not in the least creepy - it's just a great shot of a beloved cartoon character. What would be creepy would be me following your 5 year old daughter around, snapping away. And that would be very uncool.
Even if a female did it, I would still find it weird. I know people who won't even post photos of their kids online because they're terrified of who can get their hands on them.

danyoung56

I read a trip report recently where in every photo that included the kids, the poster put little cartoon faces over the real faces. Seems overly conservative to me, but then I might feel differently if I had kids.

jloucks

Even if a female did it, I would still find it weird. I know people who won't even post photos of their kids online because they're terrified of who can get their hands on them.

I agree for the most part. Although, for statistical reasons, I am less concerned with women and kids taking photos of my kids. I deal with predators and perverts semi-regularly. Over the last 30 years, 100% male. :(

This is going to sound opposite of my normal stance, but I have no problem with photos of my kids being online. The odds of their being an issue are pretty much zero. Heck, I have posted them here before. :p

Again, to be clear, I am NOT saying if you snap a photo of my cuties with Minnie, you are a pervert. No no no. I am just saying, it blips my radar a little. Noting more.

ninjaprincesst

I agree for the most part. Although, for statistical reasons, I am less concerned with women and kids taking photos of my kids. I deal with predators and perverts semi-regularly. Over the last 30 years, 100% male. :(

This is going to sound opposite of my normal stance, but I have no problem with photos of my kids being online. The odds of their being an issue are pretty much zero. Heck, I have posted them here before. :p

Again, to be clear, I am NOT saying if you snap a photo of my cuties with Minnie, you are a pervert. No no no. I am just saying, it blips my radar a little. Noting more.
We we were at Hollywood Studios back when they still had Osbourne lights and i was taking a picture of my teenage daughter in front of the nativity scene and a guy came up and took several pics with my daughter in them and when she tried to move he said "no stay there", I found it a little creepy, kinda like you said on my radar but I went on, however when he got back to his wife and kids his wife went ballistic on him about it.

NelsonRD

Nelson, I've never considered this opinion before. I'm a single guy that never does any direct interaction with characters, but I will snap a pic of a character interacting with a child. It's not in the least creepy - it's just a great shot of a beloved cartoon character. What would be creepy would be me following your 5 year old daughter around, snapping away. And that would be very uncool.

My problem with your argument, is that it implies that is it difficult to get photos of Disney characters, and you need to snap one off while you can. There are several opportunities to get a photo of your beloved characters, or you can reconsider getting in line, and get photos that are more personal and better.

With that said, I can understand your impulse, but I do not agree it results in a great shot, that is a valuable photo for you.

ninjaprincesst

My problem with your argument, is that it implies that is it difficult to get photos of Disney characters, and you need to snap one off while you can. There are several opportunities to get a photo of your beloved characters, or you can reconsider getting in line, and get photos that are more personal and better.

With that said, I can understand your impulse, but I do not agree it results in a great shot, that is a valuable photo for you.
I can see how even a single guy would want to catch the interaction between character and child , that is the "magic" that makes Disney well Disney.

danyoung56

My problem with your argument, is that it implies that is it difficult to get photos of Disney characters, and you need to snap one off while you can.

All I'm saying is that it's not something that I've ever considered. On the one hand, if someone wants to look at me as a perv, that's on them, not me. On the other hand, I can learn to be aware of the situation, and try to sympathize with a parent who's being, in my mind, a little over-protective.

Lyman

Depending on my mood, this could go two ways:

1. I’d offer to take the group picture myself. Selfies are overrated and should only be used sparingly.

2. I’d lose my patience and photobomb them.

I just beep once and throw the scooter into overdrive. Then look back and say oops :duck:

clarabellej

I think my worst encounter was with a Disney photographer in Main square at MK.

We’d stood in line to get pic with character and when I went to use my own camera the Disney photographer practically stepped on me. He was all over the place. He was extremely rude. Not generally the case, maybe he was a new guy??

I have found you get treated differently if you haven’t purchased the photo thingy.

I know, bit of a different topic.

I’m heading toward 60, so may be cranky too!

Don’t you just love those perfect Disney picks and there is always the random unattractive stray butt in your shot.

Or just an unattractive person in general. Haha!

Hard to keep people out with those crowds!! No matter how hard you try.

People rave about getting shots in early morning, with no one in their pics.

I don’t like the lighting then, too early.

We all need to behave better. Hard to do when it gets crazy crowded and everyone wants their perfect pick front of the castle.

Lyman

I think my worst encounter was with a Disney photographer in Main square at MK.

We’d stood in line to get pic with character and when I went to use my own camera the Disney photographer practically stepped on me. He was all over the place. He was extremely rude. Not generally the case, maybe he was a new guy??

I have found you get treated differently if you haven’t purchased the photo thingy.

I know, bit of a different topic.

I’m heading toward 60, so may be cranky too!

Don’t you just love those perfect Disney picks and there is always the random unattractive stray butt in your shot.

Or just an unattractive person in general. Haha!

Hard to keep people out with those crowds!! No matter how hard you try.

People rave about getting shots in early morning, with no one in their pics.

I don’t like the lighting then, too early.

We all need to behave better. Hard to do when it gets crazy crowded and everyone wants their perfect pick front of the castle.

Long time photographer. I take mostly nature. Lighting is best early/late in day. Are you concerned with shadows ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom