Photography etiquette within the parks

SteamboatJoe

Does not exist.

People take pictures then, what ?
Who looks at the pictures after a vacation ?

When I first went we purchase 15 or 20 rolls of film, develop them put them in an album that we never pull out.
Now with digital pictures costing nothing "except if you pay Disney for a Photo Pass" even more pictures are stored on the cloud never to see the light of day.

We look at these pictures very rarely, we take them because the cost nothing but seldom do we see them again

My wife looks at ours relatively frequently. Everyone is different.

LukeS7

I try to mentally give people a one time pass. It's relatively easy to forget the auto flash is on. Do it more than once though and you are just a jerk.
I had the boat in front of us on PotC doing it CONTINUOUSLY throughout the ride, like every 10 seconds. The attendant at the front of the line was kind enough to give us a FastPass for it when I explained the situation (it was our last day)

trainplane3

I move as rapidly as possible. On this trip a friend wanted a picture in the castle entrance-way. It's 9pm, it's busy, everyone is running to get firework spots. I had her take a spot under the entrance arch, hold the pose, once it's clear, I took 3 pictures in less then 10 seconds without holding up traffic. I'm not expecting people to stop for me so I just wait. She stood there for about a good minute before I could take the shots. And the camera stays down until the opportunity is there.

I just try to be smart about it.

SteamboatJoe

I had the boat in front of us on PotC doing it CONTINUOUSLY throughout the ride, like every 10 seconds. The attendant at the front of the line was kind enough to give us a FastPass for it when I explained the situation (it was our last day)
That would be awful.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I move as rapidly as possible. On this trip a friend wanted a picture in the castle entrance-way. It's 9pm, it's busy, everyone is running to get firework spots. I had her take a spot under the entrance arch, hold the pose, once it's clear, I took 3 pictures in less then 10 seconds without holding up traffic. I'm not expecting people to stop for me so I just wait. She stood there for about a good minute before I could take the shots. And the camera stays down until the opportunity is there.

I just try to be smart about it.

I admire your efforts and consideration for others. To be honest for me the biggest issue was when people did it on narrow paths that were extremely busy rather than in more open spaces where you can navigate around them more. I fully get the desire people have for pictures and on a once in a lifetime trip I'd not only wish them to take pictures, but even encourage them to do so.

I suppose this year I noticed an increase in thoughtless (or overexcited) people taking pictures in really inconsiderate places. The highlight of this was around 10pm on a Saturday night at the MK monorail station where there was a 40 minute wait due to the number of people there. We'd made the platform (still with thousands behind us) and as the monorail doors opened, one group stepped into the monorail, turned in the doorway blocking others from getting on and posed for group pictures whilst their friend took the snaps (duck faces again, what is it with that?). A CM actually spoke to them but they'd already delayed everybody by the time he got to them.

LUVofDIS

I haven't noticed this happening much, but I have seen it occasionally. I carry a pro camera with pro lenses (meaning it is very large), and I usually know my shot and can take it. I almost never stop, I see the shot coming, bring camera to face and snap. If I do need to stop, I usually take a look around and when clear I compose and snap. If people are around, I wait, compose and snap.

Some times it will take me a few moments to compose, I always prefer people pass, this is their vacation and I shouldn't hold them up. I will let people know that they should continue and that I will wait for them.

There has been a few times that I will offer to take photos for people, I have also been approached many times by people thinking that I am a photo pass photographer, even though I never wear anything that looks like their clothing. This has actually led to some interesting conversations with people, so that was nice.

And I never have a flash with me, so the dark ride thing is impossible, but I have experienced others doing this. Though I would say it has been much less the last few years. I don't think it happened this last September or last December even once. It did happen to us during the Little Mermaid ride in September 2017, this guy had a light on while video recording, at least I think that that was what he was doing. Hmmm, couldn't figure why you would need a light on that ride and as others have pointed out, the recording would be washed out.

And as to looking at the photos, my wife and I look at them quite often, and we still look at our photos from the days of film.

Raineman

I have to admit that I don't run into a lot of issues with this? That...or else I'm just not phased by it?? I'm pretty accumstomed to people stopping in walkways for any number of reasons (kid dropped something out of stroller, stopping to look at map, stopping to wait for others behind them, etc.). I just expect it now and walk around. In fact, my DH and I pride ourselves on how slickly we maneuver through the crowds (Dart left, two steps right, arch the torso to curve around the stroller handle, you part left & I'll part right, duck under the blowing balloon). Maybe I just see it like a video game: if I avoid contact with a stopped person or object in the middle of way, I get extra points or something?? :p
Sometimes I’ll treat crowds at WDW like I’m a running back trying to get through the defensive line. If my DW or DD throw a couple of blocks for me, and I use my spin move or stiff arm, I’m headed for the endzone-unless the huge stroller or scooter drops me for a loss.

Tom P.

Personally, I think people who stop in the middle of walkways for any reason should be ejected from the park and banned for life. No you don't need to put your child in or take your child out of their stroller in the middle of the walk path. No, you don't need to whip out your iPhone and back into us for that picture. No, you don't need to all stop to take in whatever it is you're looking all standing at side by side blocking the whole path. No, you don't need to block an entrance so you can see what's inside the shop.

This isn't grumpy, it's simple common sense and common decency.
No, it's grumpy.

BuddyThomas

Try living in NYC and try to get around hoards of tourists in Times Square and beyond who walk down the sidewalk five across at the speed of broken beach balls, stopping every second to take pictures of, like, alleys, and steel doors and bodegas, without any clue to their surroundings, while those of us who live here play "dodge-a-tourist" trying to get to our jobs on time. That's a whole lot of fun.

Nottamus

OK, I'm going in 2 weeks, and I've learned a lot here today...
Don't take any pictures
Don't walk slow in a walkway
Don't stop in a walkway.
Maybe just keep on the grass and let the fast walkers use the walkway.
Always walk single file (on the grass, of course)
Do not make eye contact with anyone ( I added that one, just don't want to ruin anyone's vacation)

Meh...walk slow. Do what you want. No one's life was ever ruined from someone taking a picture of a giant golf ball.
There's always tomorrow.....

danyoung56

Five second rule on pathways. Compose your photo then you’ve got five seconds to take it.

THIS! For me it's about 10 seconds. If they can't snap a pic in that time, then I'm walking. And sometimes walking around isn't an option, if the group is all the way on one side and the photographer is all the way on the other. The only place to walk is right down the middle.

On the other hand, if I'm lining up the perfect shot, I try to be aware of others. If there are people who want to walk in front of me, I'll take the camera down and make it obvious that I'm not snapping right now.

Show a little patience!

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Me at Disney...

disneylandproposal.jpg

5thGenTexan

Does not exist.

People take pictures then, what ?
Who looks at the pictures after a vacation ?

When I first went we purchase 15 or 20 rolls of film, develop them put them in an album that we never pull out.
Now with digital pictures costing nothing "except if you pay Disney for a Photo Pass" even more pictures are stored on the cloud never to see the light of day.

We look at these pictures very rarely, we take them because the cost nothing but seldom do we see them again

We used to make popcorn, set up the slide projector and look at old slides for hours. I still go into my folders on the computer and look at pictures from past vacations. I am not sure what I enjoy more... taking or looking at pictures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom