photo pass question!

PennyInPink

Original Poster
Hope this is the right place!
I registered the photo pass card that came with my Mickey Mail, but did pre buy the package. We really want ot see it when we get back to make up our minds. Even tho we know it will cost more that way.
But can it be accessed while we are gone? Like, can our families that "got left behind" use the web site and our password to see photos that are being taken while there? How long does it take for a photo to show up on the site?

maryszhi

I registered the photo pass card that came with my Mickey Mail, but did pre buy the package. We really want ot see it when we get back to make up our minds. Even tho we know it will cost more that way.
But can it be accessed while we are gone? Like, can our families that "got left behind" use the web site and our password to see photos that are being taken while there? How long does it take for a photo to show up on the site?
i believe so as long as you have the code registered with a password :)

Gt2BtheGoodLife

Which package? That makes a bit of a difference on the total answer here. You have 30 days to claim your photo from the date they were taken. And it takes 24 hours for the photo to show up on the website, if it doesn't show up in exactly 24 hours don't fret, give it up to 48 hours before fretting. For others to see your photos you would have to give them the photopass number (that 16 digit code that probably starts with CMRW or something to that effect if this is the paper card we're talking about) and let them register on the website to see the photos or give them your login to view the photos, completely up to you there.

Tom

Beta Return

I'm confused. Did you pre-order the CD or not?

And yes, your family can view your photos as you go. Just create your Photopass account and set up a password you'll share. Once on property, or now since you already have your card, tie the card to your online Photopass account. Any photos taken using that card will show up on the account usually within an hour, or by end of day at worst.

We have a good friend back home who will login and do all our cropping and adding borders, which saves us a lot of time. Plus, she's way more creative than us!

LarryMorris

i'm not mistaken the photo will not be available immediately
a93.jpg

dreamfinder

First off, you don't need to use the card that you received in your Mickey Mail. You can grab a new one at the parks, or heck, a new one from each photographer. Whatever card you do use, make sure to take note of the numbers. I recommend taking a picture of the back of the card or texting it to yourself.

If you think you might buy the PhotoCD, do pre-buy it. As long as it is less than 6 months out, you can request a refund if you are unhappy with the pictures. The savings from pre-ordering are more than worth it.

Anyone you share the password with for your account can login and view your pictures as long as you have registered the card. Take note however, that your countdown will begin ticking at that point. So if you are on vacation for 10 days, and Grandma views your pictures on Day 1, those pictures will expire in 30 days. You will lose 10 days of your editing time while you are at the parks.

Photopass will say that the pictures can take up to 24 hours to appear in your account. It will often be significantly faster, but shouldn't take longer.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

First off, you don't need to use the card that you received in your Mickey Mail. You can grab a new one at the parks, or heck, a new one from each photographer. Whatever card you do use, make sure to take note of the numbers. I recommend taking a picture of the back of the card or texting it to yourself.

If you think you might buy the PhotoCD, do pre-buy it. As long as it is less than 6 months out, you can request a refund if you are unhappy with the pictures. The savings from pre-ordering are more than worth it.

Anyone you share the password with for your account can login and view your pictures as long as you have registered the card. Take note however, that your countdown will begin ticking at that point. So if you are on vacation for 10 days, and Grandma views your pictures on Day 1, those pictures will expire in 30 days. You will lose 10 days of your editing time while you are at the parks.

Photopass will say that the pictures can take up to 24 hours to appear in your account. It will often be significantly faster, but shouldn't take longer.

I think though in this situation since the card is already associated to an account to be viewed online it'll be easier to use the Mickey Mail one just to keep track and you can always go to the view station to combine cards if you get extra (if you JTA or Pirates league make sure to go to the view stations to get your kids pictures from those cards). And also, we say the online time is 24 hours because it is standard to be about 24 hours, it's not instantly online, and there have been cases (with my own photos I got in the park as a guest) that it took a bit longer than 24 hours.

That is also why I had suggested to you PennyinPink that instead of giving others the login to your account that you just give them the photopass number and have them create their own account so anyone who looks at your pictures does not hinder how long you have to view them. You've got 30 days to 'claim' your photos on the website, once you've claimed them then you have 30 days to do edits, purchase, do the hula, whatever you want to do with those photos (legally of course)

dreamfinder

I think though in this situation since the card is already associated to an account to be viewed online it'll be easier to use the Mickey Mail one just to keep track and you can always go to the view station to combine cards if you get extra (if you JTA or Pirates league make sure to go to the view stations to get your kids pictures from those cards). And also, we say the online time is 24 hours because it is standard to be about 24 hours, it's not instantly online, and there have been cases (with my own photos I got in the park as a guest) that it took a bit longer than 24 hours.

That is also why I had suggested to you PennyinPink that instead of giving others the login to your account that you just give them the photopass number and have them create their own account so anyone who looks at your pictures does not hinder how long you have to view them. You've got 30 days to 'claim' your photos on the website, once you've claimed them then you have 30 days to do edits, purchase, do the hula, whatever you want to do with those photos (legally of course)

Did they change the restriction that a card can only be associated with one account? Used to be that you couldn't register a card with more than one account, hence why some people ask for the pictures to be added to multiple cards.

Tom

Beta Return

These comments are correct, and good advice, but I feel as if they might be confusing to someone who doesn't understand PhotoPass entirely :D

I agree 100% that if you even possibly think you'll want the CD, pre-order it! It's already not worth what they charge for it at that rate...let alone the post-trip rate.

I guess the PhotoPass CM (Gt2B) would know more than I would about this, but I was always under the impression that a single Photopass card number could only be associated with one online account. Has that changed, or is that just a loophole? Regardless, I wouldn't personally recommend that method because who knows what could happen.

There is a way to generate a link and "Invite" someone to view your PhotoPass photos - which sends your friends and family to a simple site that just lets them SEE your pics as you "claim" them. However, we've discovered a major glitch in that they can only see the photos added to your account up to the moment you invite them. If you send the invite halfway through your trip, they won't see any new photos unless you invite them again, and again. Kind of dumb.

We take computers with us, so we attach our PhotoPass cards to our online accounts immediately. We will often each carry a card so that if one of us has easier access to our wallet/purse at that moment, we just use my or her card. We attach (claim) them both to our one PP account and all the pics show up. It's still a good idea to write down or take a picture of the back of your PP card(s) as soon as you get them so you never lose that number. Once it's lost, you're pretty much out of luck unless you already tied it to your account.

To clarify the 30 + 30 thing....from the moment a PP photographer snaps your pic and scans it to your card, that photo has a 30-day timer that starts ticking. After 30 days, if not claimed (attached to an online account) it evaporates. Then, from the moment you go online and type your card number into your account, you have your own 30-day ticker to make all your edits, add borders, delete bad pics, and place any print/CD orders before they expire.

I think it's silly to think that anyone would run out of time in 30 days to edit photos and place an order. Even if you back out a 7-10 day trip, that's an obscene amount of time to log in and add some fun borders and crop a few pics (or even a few hundred pics in our case, usually). If you can't do that in the 20 days after your trip, you're TOO busy, lol.

Thus, as I said, we always attach our cards to our PP account the moment we get them. Usually, we'll see that day's photos show up by the time we're checking the site before bed. Any pics taken that night will be there by the next afternoon when we come back for a break. And we'll always give our login/password to our good friend who will sit at home (housewife) and edit a bunch on her own. We'll still do many of our own, but she gets creative and does a lot of zooming and cropping that we wouldn't waste time doing. So, we end up with about 3-4 times as many photos as were originally taken. A plus if you have a creative friend or relative back home who can do that for you. Plus, they can see ALL your pics, and not just the ones they were invited to see.

Side Note: Only one photo (one that we REALLY wanted, because we knew it was good when it was taken) was lost forever, back in May. We even went to the Expo Hall to have them try to find it. They were able to scroll through every photo taken by that photographer during that time frame. We found all the pics before and after that one, but THAT ONE pic was gone. She said that it was either corrupted, or someone in the background could have been doing something obscene, so the PhotoPass screening team booted it.

dreamfinder

To clarify the 30 + 30 thing....from the moment a PP photographer snaps your pic and scans it to your card, that photo has a 30-day timer that starts ticking. After 30 days, if not claimed (attached to an online account) it evaporates. Then, from the moment you go online and type your card number into your account, you have your own 30-day ticker to make all your edits, add borders, delete bad pics, and place any print/CD orders before they expire.

I think it's silly to think that anyone would run out of time in 30 days to edit photos and place an order. Even if you back out a 7-10 day trip, that's an obscene amount of time to log in and add some fun borders and crop a few pics (or even a few hundred pics in our case, usually). If you can't do that in the 20 days after your trip, you're TOO busy, lol.

It may seem silly, but it can happen. Last trip I think I ended up with 4,000 or so edits. A total of 12 cds. With the glacier speed of the photopass website, and having to scroll all the way through the pictures each time, I think it took me 27 days of editing to get through them all.

Admittedly most people will only be doing a few hundred edits max, but I always recommend to shoot to be done 2-3 days before the deadline. The website has a habit of going down for "maintenance" randomly, and it's better safe then sorry. If you get home at 6PM on day 30 to order the CD or prints, and it is down from 6PM to 1AM, way to much stress for me.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

These comments are correct, and good advice, but I feel as if they might be confusing to someone who doesn't understand PhotoPass entirely :D

I agree 100% that if you even possibly think you'll want the CD, pre-order it! It's already not worth what they charge for it at that rate...let alone the post-trip rate.

I guess the PhotoPass CM (Gt2B) would know more than I would about this, but I was always under the impression that a single Photopass card number could only be associated with one online account. Has that changed, or is that just a loophole? Regardless, I wouldn't personally recommend that method because who knows what could happen.

You can associate as many Photopasses as you want on the website, at one point I even had 5 different cards on the website from multiple trips (you'd think since I do it daily that I'd remember I can use the same card...) But like I said earlier, if you'd just like to stick to one card on the website, you can always stop in the view stations and combine your cards :)

Tom

Beta Return
You can associate as many Photopasses as you want on the website, at one point I even had 5 different cards on the website from multiple trips (you'd think since I do it daily that I'd remember I can use the same card...) But like I said earlier, if you'd just like to stick to one card on the website, you can always stop in the view stations and combine your cards :)

That's not what I meant....I know you can have as many PP cards as you want, and tie them all to your online account. What you originally said or implied was that one PP card could be tied to more than one online account - which doesn't seem accurate to me, but MAY be true.

Gt2BtheGoodLife

That's not what I meant....I know you can have as many PP cards as you want, and tie them all to your online account. What you originally said or implied was that one PP card could be tied to more than one online account - which doesn't seem accurate to me, but MAY be true.

Oh that sorry. Yep the same photopass number can be on multiple accounts. It's done for bands and big groups all the time :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom