Photo Pass available on CD very soon.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Hello,

I almost never post here, because I honestly don't have the resources to post accurate news. However, this was a very interesting phone call I received, and I think you will all be very happy assuming you didn't already know about this.

I had left two voicemail messages about my Photo Pass (let us not turn this into another short version (PP)). The first was left on December 4th, and the second on January 2nd. Both were asking about a high quality download alternative to the photo printing. I don't care for print photos, but want nice high res photos for HD quality slide shows. Yes, I'm visually impaired, but that doesn't mean I don't want my friends to deal with crapy web versions.

I received a phone call two days ago as a response. The CM extended my photos for free on both Photo Passes. She explained that a new CD product would be out at the end of the month that would allow you to create one of those photo CD formatted discs. Also, there will be some sort of copyright document involved. She did not go into the process in detail. I was very happy to hear about this, but asked if the files on the disc would be the original files taken on the nice cameras. She told me that most photos are cropped, and sometimes stuff is removed from them. They use Nicon D70 cameras with external flash. I explained that if any re-framing is performed, the pixel depth is reduced. Surprisingly, she understood this very well, and said that minimum reduction is used to prevent this problem, and that I could always add some anti-aliasing filters to compensate. I agreed, and we discussed downloads next.

The interesting thing about the CD concept. Why do it instead of download? Simple, people are not very intellegent, or at least when it comes to Photo Pass. The CM said that they have enough of a hard time getting people logged into the site itself. I then offered the suggestion that they add the option called "Photo Pass Pro" for those of us who know what we're doing. She got a good laugh out of it, and we discussed other ways people can mess up with Photo Pass. In fact, she had to add one of my cards to my account, because someone had entered their card number incorrectly, and that incorrect number for them was my card ID. The good thing was, she had the ability to put 2 and 2 together and realize that it was me in both card accounts in the photos. Great job!

I really like the people over there. If this CM is a general example of how great the non-park (behind the scenes) CMs can be, all will be great for the future of this new Photo Pass Service. One thing is for sure, we both agreed that this is so much better than the old way.

I did add the suggestion that they add photo keosks around the park in random places where you could see large full screen versions of the shots, and could then have the machine burn a disc right there before you leave. With 48x + burning now, it wouldn't be too painful. Also, allowing hotel guests to use the internet access for free for official Disney sites while in the room would rock. Then you could look at the photo pass, and have the CD delivered to your hotel gift shop just like other merchandise. They could even have a nice intranet with the ability to shop from your room for any merchandise. We've all done it, left the park and then finally realized there was something we passed on. They are missing out if they don't see the potential of a Disney only free intranet connection. Also, maybe they give you a free hour of web surfing with every online purchase.

Just some news and thoughts.

Ryan

biggy H

You can get the CD at EPCOT in the camera centre now. It is the only place in WDW you can get all you photos on CD from. It cost just under $107 inc tax.

You can add as many Photopasses to it as you like. The CD will hold about 400 pictures. You can do what you want with the pictures except make money from them.

We got one just before we left last week.

BRER STITCH

Yes...friends who just came back said the new Photo CD is priced a little steep at $99 +tax, HOWEVER....it can hold between 300-400 pictures AND it includes a license to have the photos printed at your local photo developing spot!

This would be great for families who want LOTS of photos taken in every park! Chances are much better that they will have many that turn out good! It removes the issue of having the persontaking the picture left out, or having to ask a total stranger to get a shot right for you.

I bought 10 of the 5x7s last time I was down for a special trip and it cost over $100 and the pictures were gone after a month or so. With the CD, I would still have them and be able to print them any time I wanted to without violating the copyright laws.

Would I do it every time? NO! but I can think of times when it would be $100 well spent!

:wave:

DisneyFreak529

$107 dollars!! Ya you have to be kidding!! That is way to much.

I know why don't we just take photos with our digital camras & then burn cd on our computers. It's cheeper & easier. That is what my husband & I did. There is no way I'm spending $107 to get my photos on a cd when I can do it my self.

MissM

Especially since you can get them to take photos with your own camera and then have the original file, there's no reason to spend over a hundred dollars on a cd from them.

Unbelievable!
-m

Chase24

Clarification Please

:confused: Is this service for the Photos the CM's take of you, or
Is this for the Photo's YOU take and have burned?
Thanks.

BRER STITCH

Chase24 said:
:confused: Is this service for the Photos the CM's take of you, or
Is this for the Photo's YOU take and have burned?
Thanks.

It's linked to the PHOTOPASS program and is for the pictures taken by the WDW photographers in each park!

:)

Chase24

BRER STITCH said:
It's linked to the PHOTOPASS program and is for the pictures taken by the WDW photographers in each park!

:)
Then this would be a no brainer, if you buy more than a couple of the photos, you would hit $100 pretty quick. Then you can print what you want at home, if you want, or at a local store in the sizes you want. Do you know if you can get the photos from the Character meals on here yet?, or the rides?

Thanks a bunch. Only 12 more days:sohappy: .

Nicole

I spent over $250 on PP prints after my trip last March, and that was using a buy one get one free (or similar, can't really remember) offer for APs. I would jump at the opportunity to have unlimited prints for $107. This is an especially good deal for those of us who are at WDW with larger groups (my family is meeting my sister and her family next month) and I know for me will mean I take more advantage of the PP photographers than I have previously.

Anne Stepien

Photo Pass CD

I think $99 plus tax is VERY reasonable. Would you rather pay $25 for one shot? Disney also gives you the copyright in the form of a letter so you can go to any photo shop and have copies, enlargements, etc made.

They are available in 3 locations though: Mickey's Toon Town Fair in MK, The Camera Center in Epcot, and M. Mouse Mercantile at The Grand Floridian. You can't buy it on line at this time--has to be purchased before the end of your trip.

Anne

Magic Maker

Neato! I think it is a great idea. And using deductive reasoning I can tell it is a great deal if you want 5-10 pics at least. It is a good thing!

taramarie

We bought 5 easy last trip.....

We could have easily bought more too, but didn't want to spend the money.

This way I could get all my pics from all the parks on one CD! Great idea and I think it is worth the $99 to do it.

If I get more than 5 good pics I am buying it too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom