PHOTO - New MagicSlider accessory brings a functioning watch face to MagicBands

Jon81uk

You should need to actually touch anything, NFC just needs to be close. A few devices I believe require a tap which makes a contact touch and complete a circuit..I didn't think the magic bands are like that.

Eek, I didn't realise the apple watch wasn't waterproof. That's rubbish.

I wonder how waterproof these will be, I could see them being useful for the waterparks.

Apple watch is reasonably water resistant, enough for day to day use. The MagicBand Slider watch isn't waterproof.

bhg469

You should need to actually touch anything, NFC just needs to be close. A few devices I believe require a tap which makes a contact touch and complete a circuit..I didn't think the magic bands are like that.

Eek, I didn't realise the apple watch wasn't waterproof. That's rubbish.

I wonder how waterproof these will be, I could see them being useful for the waterparks.
NFC needs to be pretty close, not necessarily touching but a few inches away and it will not work, magic bands definitely need to be very close and fairly precise where the mickey head on the band ends up on some readers. The hotel doors I noticed were especially picky about how I used it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
NFC needs to be pretty close, not necessarily touching but a few inches away and it will not work, magic bands definitely need to be very close and fairly precise where the mickey head on the band ends up on some readers. The hotel doors I noticed were especially picky about how I used it.

BTW, these are individual device choices - not 'NFC' as a whole. Each design includes antenna and power designs based on your intended use cases and requirements. You may require that you have physical contact, or you may require the token works from 0-2", etc. You set the requirements, then design the solution to meet those within your constraints.

Many designs want near physical contact as a security measure.

G00fyDad

But seriously, I can see an Apple Watch replacing the functionality of a MagicBand in the near future.

Then I will continue to wear my Samsung Gear and forgo any MM+ options in the parks. No Apple product will ever be worn by me. :D

A waste of $17.99 but I am sure people will line up to get them. I can get down with the MB which I have grown to like but this built in watch is just yuck

Yeah. I'll be in that line. ;)

FerretAfros

Or, as one blogger already discovered, apparently it's really easy to just take the watch faces off of slap-bracelet watches and put them on your Magic Band yourself. It takes a little bit of pre-planning, but gives you more options (you could even do something *gasp* non-Disney) and is noticeably cheaper than Disney's offerings

1-251x300.jpg

11051867_10206278859960064_7190261984070970095_n.jpg

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2...r-magicband-into-a-watch-in-three-easy-steps/

G00fyDad

For $18 it should be waterproof and have a indiglo-backlight like a $10 Wal-Mart Armitron.

Anything shaped like a Mickey head or with a character physical resemblance is going to cost you more regardless of features.

You're paying for a theme park piece of merchandise. Not a watch. I agree with you so don't get me wrong, but this is going to sell like crazy.

mm121

AEfx

BTW, these are individual device choices - not 'NFC' as a whole. Each design includes antenna and power designs based on your intended use cases and requirements. You may require that you have physical contact, or you may require the token works from 0-2", etc. You set the requirements, then design the solution to meet those within your constraints.

Many designs want near physical contact as a security measure.

He's correct, though, in saying it needs to be "fairly close". Design can certainly impact, but NFC has a maximum range of about 6-7 inches at most. Hence the "near" part, I presume, LOL.

AEfx

oh yes.. a watch that can't be seen at all indoors... great job disney.

As much as I think the entire thing is stupid, I have to applaud them for that one. We really don't need more light-up devices being used inside to distract from attractions. In any case, it also aligns with Disney's needs - if you are in an attraction, you are dealing with their timetable - you'll be released when they are ready, LOL. But they want you to be able to see the time when you are running around outside trying to make your FP+ window for the next attraction/dining reservation/etc.

RSoxNo1

Is it correct that the Magic Band can't be read at Fastpass+ or Entry Gate kiosks when the watch is covering Mickey? If so, bang up job Disney.

G00fyDad

Is it correct that the Magic Band can't be read at Fastpass+ or Entry Gate kiosks when the watch is covering Mickey? If so, bang up job Disney.

All of the slider watches I've seen in promos have got the watch sitting directly across the top of the Mickey head so I would imagine that the proximity is closer to an inch or two so it will go through the watch face.

ABQ

My first DIY attempt at a proper Disney watch on a Magic Band. Very quick and dirty first pass.

Attachments

• 2015-06-24 19.03.23.jpg
    2015-06-24 19.03.23.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 81

cspencer96

All of the slider watches I've seen in promos have got the watch sitting directly across the top of the Mickey head so I would imagine that the proximity is closer to an inch or two so it will go through the watch face.
I have only seen them placed away from the Mickey icon in promos, never on top of it. I would believe it is reasonable to think that Disney is covering their bases that the Bands may not work as well with Mickey fully covered up by the electronics of these watch faces.

G00fyDad

I doubt I'll get one now if the watch cannot be placed over the Mickey head. It would feel odd having the watch face sitting on the side like that.

NormC

Or, as one blogger already discovered, apparently it's really easy to just take the watch faces off of slap-bracelet watches and put them on your Magic Band yourself. It takes a little bit of pre-planning, but gives you more options (you could even do something *gasp* non-Disney) and is noticeably cheaper than Disney's offerings

1-251x300.jpg

11051867_10206278859960064_7190261984070970095_n.jpg

http://www.themainstreetmouse.com/2...r-magicband-into-a-watch-in-three-easy-steps/
My wife just made the Minnie on for herself for our July trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom