Phone charging

Ademello192

Are there places to charge phones? I use my iPhone as my camera mostly, I wouldn't want to have my phone die during a day at the parks. Anyone use any portable chargers they can recommend?

G00fyDad

They come with a cable that will attach to a standard usb port for charging and syncing to the computer. At least that's been my experience. This portable charger is basically just a rechargeable battery with 2 usb ports just like the ones on your computer.

Duh on my part. I even looked at the pictures. This is my last week of classes for this degree and its finals time. I'm a little frazzle I guess. Thanks.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

The problem is not just a 1" difference, it's that adding 1" to the diagonal on a screen increases the overall area that the screen takes up. So a 3.5" screen is 5.9 square inches, but a 4.3" screen is 9 square inches. (Those were the fastest dimensions I could find online)

So a 23% increase in screen size (3.5 to 4.3) does not equate to a 23% larger screen area, but rather 50% more screen area.
And 50% more screen area means 50% more overall illumination from the light source in the dark in front of you while trying to watch Wishes.

-Rob

I can see a problem with the large screen on an iPad (God I hate those soccer moms that use this everywhere) but the smaller screen, cell phone or camera, doesn't bother me nearly as bad. Now when you get into the "professional" photographer sitting in front of you that feels the need to bring a zoom lens you could detect life on Mars with to a parade then you're talking some serious annoyances. But cell phone screen isn't going to irritate many people.

Upvote 0

draybook

The problem is not just a 1" difference, it's that adding 1" to the diagonal on a screen increases the overall area that the screen takes up. So a 3.5" screen is 5.9 square inches, but a 4.3" screen is 9 square inches. (Those were the fastest dimensions I could find online)

So a 23% increase in screen size (3.5 to 4.3) does not equate to a 23% larger screen area, but rather 50% more screen area.
And 50% more screen area means 50% more overall illumination from the light source in the dark in front of you while trying to watch Wishes.

-Rob

Then try adding in all of the illumination from all of the video cameras that are going to be recording during Wishes.......

I mean if we're going to get penny ante then let's do it right!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Then try adding in all of the illumination from all of the video cameras that are going to be recording during Wishes.......

I mean if we're going to get penny ante then let's do it right!

Which is why I mourned the loss of optical viewfinders on compact digital cameras. Until my most-recent camera, I'd always had an optical viewfinder because I hated having to compose the shot via the screen. I liked having the ability to steady the camera by holding it up to my eye. I also didn't like the extra ambient light that the screen created.I also turned off the feature that displayed the shot after every photo to reduce added brightness in the dark.

When I went to get a new compact camera that would fit in my pocket last year, I couldn't find ANY that still had an optical viewfinder. :(

And don't even get me started on the number of flash cameras during Wishes or the castle projection show. Or the lady next to me who was videoing the projection show on her iPhone, with the flash turned on steady as a light, illuminating the backs of everyones heads in front of us.

-Rob

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

They come with a cable that will attach to a standard usb port for charging and syncing to the computer. At least that's been my experience. This portable charger is basically just a rechargeable battery with 2 usb ports just like the ones on your computer.
True. My daughter's ipod 5 has the lightning connector, but it has a usb connector on the other end. She can charge on the computer, wall or car with the usb adapter.
Her ipod has a flash and takes beautiful pics. The fifth generation is worlds above her 4th gen.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Which is why I mourned the loss of optical viewfinders on compact digital cameras. Until my most-recent camera, I'd always had an optical viewfinder because I hated having to compose the shot via the screen. I liked having the ability to steady the camera by holding it up to my eye. I also didn't like the extra ambient light that the screen created.I also turned off the feature that displayed the shot after every photo to reduce added brightness in the dark.

When I went to get a new compact camera that would fit in my pocket last year, I couldn't find ANY that still had an optical viewfinder. :(

-Rob

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikonp7100

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25472/D3100.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001SER49M...e=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B001SER49M

Upvote 0

draybook

Yeah, unfortunately technology has skipped light years ahead of most peoples ability to use it. Nothing more hilarious than watching a group of sheep(people) standing around with their iPads out above their heads a la John Cusack, in an attempt to capture the perfect picture/video........

Upvote 0

Rob562

You reminded me that I did look at the Canon SureShot (or whatever model was the current one at the time) but I didn't like the zoom controller, and that outweighed my desire for a viewfinder. (I like using separate fingers for zoom and shutter so that I'm always ready to grab a shot. Having to move my index finger from toggling the zoom to the shutter button didn't appeal to me)

-Rob

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yeah, unfortunately technology has skipped light years ahead of most peoples ability to use it. Nothing more hilarious than watching a group of sheep(people) standing around with their iPads out above their heads a la John Cusack, in an attempt to capture the perfect picture/video........
That's what I was referring to.

Upvote 0

Ademello192

Original Poster
I got one from HSN that will charge my daughter's phone three times before it has to be recharged itself. It looks like a toothbrush holder. They have them in all kinds of colors. Just look on their site. It came with a usb slot so any small device with a usb connection can be charged on it. I think QVC has one also. I've seen cheap ones at Big Lots, but I don't know if they hold a charge.
Do you have a name brand?
Get a real camera (and a real phone while you're at it. Sorry, I had to say that). The iPhone sucks for photos. My supervisor has an iPhone 5 and I warned him that it wasn't that great, especially for photos (no phone is really) but he wouldn't listen. Although he still walks around talking about how great the photos are even though they look like they were taken through dirty glass. Oh, and if I hear him in his office one more time saying (in a very loud voice so everyone can hear him) "Suri, how's the weather today?" because he thinks it is impressing people I may just hide his phone.

By the way, I have a spare battery for my Galaxy S3 (getting an S4 soon...) and I have a spare for my digital camera. They weigh in at, well... nothing really and are the size of one those portable chargers. That way I am not restricted by an un-removable cell phone battery.

Sorry, rant over. Buy a camera. :D

Upvote 0

Ademello192

Original Poster
Get a real camera (and a real phone while you're at it. Sorry, I had to say that). The iPhone sucks for photos. My supervisor has an iPhone 5 and I warned him that it wasn't that great, especially for photos (no phone is really) but he wouldn't listen. Although he still walks around talking about how great the photos are even though they look like they were taken through dirty glass. Oh, and if I hear him in his office one more time saying (in a very loud voice so everyone can hear him) "Suri, how's the weather today?" because he thinks it is impressing people I may just hide his phone.

By the way, I have a spare battery for my Galaxy S3 (getting an S4 soon...) and I have a spare for my digital camera. They weigh in at, well... nothing really and are the size of one those portable chargers. That way I am not restricted by an un-removable cell phone battery.

Sorry, rant over. Buy a camera. :D

I have several real cameras, I am not asking about picture quality. I will have both. I am traveling with my three adult children and we need to contact each other to meet up and I do like the camera on my phone as well. Funny I didn't realize this was such a hostile subject

Upvote 0

Ademello192

Original Poster
He said he uses his iPhone as a camera, not an iPad. The typical SLR camera has a 3 inch LCD screen, while the newest iPhone has a 4 inch screen. I doubt he'll be "irritating others" with that massive 1 inch difference.

That being said, this is about charging his phone, and yes, there are plenty of places to charge. You can have them charge it for free(at least it used to be free) at Guest Relations. You can also find outlets spread out in some if not most of the eateries.

Thanks for understanding the question ;), I am a woman by the way.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

I have several real cameras, I am not asking about picture quality. I will have both. I am traveling with my three adult children and we need to contact each other to meet up and I do like the camera on my phone as well. Funny I didn't realize this was such a hostile subject

I apologize. I truly did not mean to come off that way. I just have this deep seeded hatred for anything Apple. I meant no disrespect toward you at all. :D

Upvote 0

timeman

I just bought a charger online from Thinkgeek and it is put out by New Trent. You can charge two devices at once with it. It comes with a Micro USB and a Mini USB Connector. You can charge your iPhone or iPad with it also using your cables. It's a 9900mAh charger so depending on the devices you are charging you will get multiple charges off of the device before having to recharge it. It can fully recharge my phone around 6 times before I have to recharge the device. It will fit in your pocket as it is no bigger than a wallet. Here is a link to it on Thinkgeek. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb7b/

Upvote 0

PhotoDave219

Are there places to charge phones? I use my iPhone as my camera mostly, I wouldn't want to have my phone die during a day at the parks. Anyone use any portable chargers they can recommend?

I highly recommend a portable battery. I use a Zagg but I dont recommend that brand, too many issues.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Many of the restrooms have outlets by the Baby change station. (well Ladies rooms, I can't speak for the mens) You may have to move if someone needs the change table though as they are located under it in most cases.

You can also drop off the phone for charging at any Guest Services, get a ticket and pick it up later.

EDIT: I also wanted to point that the washroom outlets are not exactly set aside for phone charging so be prepared to unplug if asked by a CM.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom