Persuade me

rocknroller81

Original Poster
I'm still currently young to buy a timeshare with Disney (maybe?), so I'm wondering if it's something for me to think of later on down the road. I already sort of sat through the whole sell speech. But it was for something free. Lately, though, I've become a little interested. Let's see who here can really sell it and persuade me to purchase a timeshare!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My niece bought one before she was married, at 26, she is as big of a fan as I am. She married at 28 to another Disney fan, had a baby at 30. They love Disney and their timeshare, but live in a small 2 bedroom apartment with the baby, now just over a year old and the dog. A bit cramp. Make sure if you purchase it will be disposable income you will not need down the road. For my niece a great deal changed in 4 years.

WWWD

If you are young and can afford to pay cash for it, go for it. We have greatly enjoyed DVC. However, if you are young and have to finance it, don't.

Also, do you currently only stay in Deluxe resorts while vacationing at WDW? If not, then don't buy.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If you need to be persuaded, do not do it. I am a Disney Vacation Club member and have just added additional points last week to the two contracts I currently have. Still I would never try to persuade someone to buy. Disney Vacation Club is a luxury that you must really want and should be able to afford without breaking your budget. If who really want it and can afford it; than I say go for it.

dreamfinder

If you need to be persuaded, then it's most likely not for you. But what it comes down to, is run the numbers. New contract, points start at $130 and go up from there. Resale, anywhere from $60-$100 depening on contract and resort. See how many points you would need, figure out what that would cost you, and then see how long it takes you to break even. Financing can be killer, so strongly recommend only considering if you can pay cash. If you can truly envision yourself going to WDW for at least that long, then go for it. Remember between the cost of the purchase and the dues, you are going to be paying something each year for the next 30-50 years.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You really have to consider DVC a semi-long term purchase. I would say 10 years is a good rule of thumb but maybe a little shorter. If you are relatively certain DVC will be a fit with your lifestyle and travel needs for the next 7 to 10 years go for it. After that time you will have broken even and if your tastes or lifestyle change you could just dump the points on the resale market or rent them out. If you think there is a good chance you will be going through some major lifestyle changes in that time period you really need to think about it. Like others said, don't finance it. If you don't have the cash now hold off and save some money towards it later.

EOD K9

I financed when I was 28 and single. I am just about done paying it off and am still happy with it. Its paid for itself about three years ago with at least two trips a year. With the wife and I now expecting twins, I will be renting points here and there for cash to pay for my DCL habit. It is really up to you if you buy in or not. The AP discount was great along with discounts in the parks. I've taken my parents and in-laws a few years ago in one trip with three studios. I am also giving my in-laws a trip to HHI with my points. If you think you will using it long term or renting points, its worth it. While I haven't used the RCI part yet, I have used points at the Grand Californian. That was definitely worth it. Its up to you, your family, and finances.

pixargal

Perhaps over the next 5-6 years, you could put $100 a month into a savings account, specifically for your DVC. During that time you could rent points at the different resorts to find out which one you would be most interested in. At the end of that time, if you are still interested in going to Disney and purchasing a DVC, you would have enough to get a small contract. You could always add on later. You would find out if putting away $100 is a hardship, because you would need that money in the future to pay annual dues, tickets, food, etc. to enjoy that investment.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
you can start out with a small contract of 50 points and see how it goes and then add on if you like

That's what the crack dealer outside my middle school told me...just try a little and if you like it come back for more. Luckily I didn't have any spare change that day;) ...how my life could have been different:hungover:

Seriously, this is a good idea. Even if you bank and borrow to use it every other year it will give you a feel for the program and you will have a much smaller burden in fees and upfront cash. If you really love it (you probably will) you can add another contract later with more points. If you decide it's not for you 50 point contracts are quick sells on the resale market. Just stick to studios, don't try one of the villas. Once you do it's hard going back to the studios and you'll be doubling down for more points:)

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Just stick to studios, don't try one of the villas. Once you do it's hard going back to the studios and you'll be doubling down for more points:)

I know this is a fact. I even once used a lot of points and stayed in a Grand Villa at Boardwalk. Now I would love to be able to do that every time. Started out with 150 points in 1999 and add 100 more in 2005. Just added another 99 points last month.

psukardi

If you're not sure - then I'd say pass.

If you don't plan on staying at a Deluxe - pass.

Do you see yourself going there every year or every other year for the next 10-15-20 years? If not , then pass.

And like others said - don't spread your finances too thin. Because sure you can finance over the 10 years and that's great - but then you'll still have the costs of entry and your other things like food,drink,misc expenses.

jim1051

you have to way pros and cons for ypur situation, $$$, desire to stay only in deluxe resorts, mostly at WDW or the othe DVC resorts, don't bank on the perks and discounts cause they can change.

Boardwalker

I'll put it this way. If you have about 25 grand that you don't need to fully pay for it, then go for it. Remember that you pay monthly dues until you are 115 years old, along with the buy in (25 grand).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom