Personally Unappealing TS Menus

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm sure most people who have been to WDW and have eaten at TS restaurants have run into a situation where the menu doesn't have alot of items on it that appear to cater to their personal tastes. What kind of thought process should you use to find something that you like on that menu? In my case, we will we eating at CRT for the first time in October. Having seen the menu online, nothing really appeals to me that much, as I do not eat any "upscale", "foodie"-type dishes that often-I'm more of a basic, comfort food type of eater, and the menu at CRT doesn't have anything like that on there. Should I just pick something that would be close to what I like? The only two choices on that menu that I might like would be the pan-seared chicken or beef tenderloin salad, which would be closest to the type of food that I enjoy, as chicken and beef are staples in our meals at home.

Courtney6682

I have the opposite problem lol...I eat anything and everything from McDonald's to caviar. Most times I have trouble just choosing ONE dish from most menus! In your case, I'd go for the chicken...as the beef may have a marinade or spice rub you wouldn't care for..chicken is usually the safest option. Good luck!

Weather_Lady

You might Google CRT and the names of the dishes, to see if there's one that just looks better to you visually. Honestly, many Disney menus use fancy names to describe the menu, but when you actually see the dish, it's made up of very familiar stuff.

Disney will do its best to work with you, too. If your problems with a dish are specific to a particular ingredient or garnish, you can always ask the server if it can be omitted or substituted for something else - especially if you see a different side dish you'd prefer, already on the menu, so you know the kitchen has it (e.g., "I'd like the roasted chicken, but I'm not a fan of goat cheese polenta. Could I just have some vegetables or fingerling potatoes on the side, instead?"). Also, keep in mind that there are often unadvertised gluten-free or vegetarian options that you can ask about and order, and it's sometimes possible to ask for an adult-sized portion of an item from the kids' menu if one appeals to you.

In the meantime, as you plan your Disney meals, if there's anything you really want to avoid (or to seek out), the touringplans.com menu finder tool is great. (Here's the link to CRT - see the "Search for Menu Items" box in the upper right-hand corner? You can search for items all over Disney property, or limit the type of restaurant or location.

https://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/dining/cinderellas-royal-table

Last edited:

Dave B

I'm sure most people who have been to WDW and have eaten at TS restaurants have run into a situation where the menu doesn't have alot of items on it that appear to cater to their personal tastes. What kind of thought process should you use to find something that you like on that menu? In my case, we will we eating at CRT for the first time in October. Having seen the menu online, nothing really appeals to me that much, as I do not eat any "upscale", "foodie"-type dishes that often-I'm more of a basic, comfort food type of eater, and the menu at CRT doesn't have anything like that on there. Should I just pick something that would be close to what I like? The only two choices on that menu that I might like would be the pan-seared chicken or beef tenderloin salad, which would be closest to the type of food that I enjoy, as chicken and beef are staples in our meals at home.
If beef is a staple at home then have the STEAK it was really good, just not a huge potion for two table credits, but is was good, nice and tender

Last edited:

piglet1

You might Google CRT and the names of the dishes, to see if there's one that just looks better to you visually. Honestly, many Disney menus use fancy names to describe the menu, but when you actually see the dish, it's made up of very familiar stuff.

Disney will do its best to work with you, too. If your problems with a dish are specific to a particular ingredient or garnish, you can always ask the server if it can be omitted or substituted for something else - especially if you see a different side dish you'd prefer, already on the menu, so you know the kitchen has it (e.g., "I'd like the roasted chicken, but I'm not a fan of goat cheese polenta. Could I just have some vegetables or fingerling potatoes on the side, instead?"). Also, keep in mind that there are often unadvertised gluten-free or vegetarian options that you can ask about and order, and it's sometimes possible to ask for an adult-sized portion of an item from the kids' menu if one appeals to you.

In the meantime, as you plan your Disney meals, if there's anything you really want to avoid (or to seek out), the touringplans.com menu finder tool is great. (Here's the link to CRT - see the "Search for Menu Items" box in the upper right-hand corner? You can search for items all over Disney property, or limit the type of restaurant or location.

https://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/dining/cinderellas-royal-table

Totally agree - we often as to swap out sides from other entrees, even on the kids' meals, and there is often a substitute anyway. For example, a while back the steak at Coral Reef came with horseradish mashed potatoes. When we asked if there was an alternative, the waiter volunteered that they had "regular" mashed potatoes as well. Happy diners. :)

COProgressFan

We just dined at CRT a few weeks ago. I will say I didn't find the food to be "foodie" or upscale at all. Often Disney finds a way of making standard fare sound a lot more sophisticated than it really is. They can charge more if they make us think we're having some exotic dish individually prepared by a master chef when it's really just baked chicken coming out of a standard restaurant cooking line!

Anyway, I had the chicken at CRT for lunch. There was nothing exotic about it - it was roasted chicken over a creamy mashed potato or polenta, and some veggies on the side. And it was actually quite delicious! As close to "comfort food" as you can get, honestly. It was actually better than I was expecting.

The only thing about that meal that gave me some agita was the price!

correcaminos

I only have issues at seafood places. I don't do seafood. Also Art Smith's Homecoming due to my issues with the allium family.

CRT just has 'fancy names' for items you likely know. I don't find the food at CRT to be great but it wasn't bad either. You are going for the ambiance more there anyway.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Go visit Trip Advisor's website and look at photos people have posted of their menu selections. I agree with the other posters - CRT isn't really that upscale (that I would label V&A or some of the Signatures), just fancy names for chicken, pork and beef dishes. Don't forget, you can also speak with the chef and express your concerns. My experience has been the protein is pretty straight forward, it's the sides that have the twist.

zurgandfriend

We have not been to CRT since our “Disney-Moon” which was many, many moons ago but I digress. I looked at the menu and as others have stated the menu is just fancy names for pork roast and Chicken and rice. Remember you can call it Salisbury steak or chopped Angus steak but it is still just a burger.

Raineman

Original Poster
We just dined at CRT a few weeks ago. I will say I didn't find the food to be "foodie" or upscale at all. Often Disney finds a way of making standard fare sound a lot more sophisticated than it really is. They can charge more if they make us think we're having some exotic dish individually prepared by a master chef when it's really just baked chicken coming out of a standard restaurant cooking line!

Anyway, I had the chicken at CRT for lunch. There was nothing exotic about it - it was roasted chicken over a creamy mashed potato or polenta, and some veggies on the side. And it was actually quite delicious! As close to "comfort food" as you can get, honestly. It was actually better than I was expecting.

The only thing about that meal that gave me some agita was the price!

I only have issues at seafood places. I don't do seafood. Also Art Smith's Homecoming due to my issues with the allium family.

CRT just has 'fancy names' for items you likely know. I don't find the food at CRT to be great but it wasn't bad either. You are going for the ambiance more there anyway.

Go visit Trip Advisor's website and look at photos people have posted of their menu selections. I agree with the other posters - CRT isn't really that upscale (that I would label V&A or some of the Signatures), just fancy names for chicken, pork and beef dishes. Don't forget, you can also speak with the chef and express your concerns. My experience has been the protein is pretty straight forward, it's the sides that have the twist.

Believe me when I say that there are alot of food terms on some WDW menus that I do not know at all, ie polenta, beurre-blanc, confit, reduction. I had to Google those words to find out what they were. If it says deep-fried, BBQ, or breaded, I know exactly what I am getting :D In this case, I'll probably go with the chicken.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Believe me when I say that there are alot of food terms on some WDW menus that I do not know at all, ie polenta, beurre-blanc, confit, reduction. I had to Google those words to find out what they were. If it says deep-fried, BBQ, or breaded, I know exactly what I am getting :D In this case, I'll probably go with the chicken.

Some are foods, like polenta, others are descriptive of the manner in which a menu item is prepared.

Now I'm looking for some good, Southern barbeque at WDW. Any suggestions?

correcaminos

Polenta = grits! Okay kind of at least. I believe I have had the chicken there ant it's relatively safe :D

durangojim

I'm not being sarcastic so please don't take it that way, but do you know you don't or won't like something based on preconceived notions or because you've tasted the item in the past? I find that Disney World is a pretty great place to try new foods and sometimes that winds up expanding a person's palate. If you've tried the dishes and know you won't like them, that's one thing, but if you just think you won't like them, maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Raineman

Original Poster
I'm not being sarcastic so please don't take it that way, but do you know you don't or won't like something based on preconceived notions or because you've tasted the item in the past? I find that Disney World is a pretty great place to try new foods and sometimes that winds up expanding a person's palate. If you've tried the dishes and know you won't like them, that's one thing, but if you just think you won't like them, maybe you'd be pleasantly surprised.
I'm always open to trying food that I've never had, and if I do some research, I can get a general idea of what something may taste like. The only real worry for me is ordering something that has an item I've never had or don't like, and not liking it at all and having to get something else. For me, when it comes to food, movies, music, etc, I pretty much stick to the types of things I know that I like, but if there's something new that is somewhat similar, I'll try it, but if it's something new that may be similar to something I don't like, I'll steer away from it. For example, if a new food item sounded good, but had any component of it that included brussels sprouts or broccoli, I would not touch it. It looks like nothing on the CRT menu has any undesirable items attached to the menu items, so anything I get, I'll eat-I just want to maximize my chances of ordering something that I will enjoy.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm not sure if it counts as southern BBQ, but the ribs from the Flame Tree in DAK are pretty amazing.

Oh, I'm on a first name basis with those ribs. I was just wondering if there was something in DS that people recommended

Dana223

I went to CRT on August 18th and some members of my party had the same concern that they would not like the "fancy" detailed food. We were pleased to find that they were happy to make substitutions for our meals! We were able to substitute mashed potatoes for the polenta and I also think we were able to switch vegetables. I went with the chicken as it is on the menu and enjoyed it (I figured it must be ok if it is on the menu!). Overall we enjoyed our meal and experience. I was also impressed that the meals seemed to be made fresh since they were able to make substitutions!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom