Persian Resort site

PeterAlt

Original Poster
I was on Google Maps and I was looking at the MK area when I noticed a site had been cleared (at the time the satellite image was taken) just NE of the MK. According to a link to a Wiki article placed at the site, this is the site of the cancelled Persian Resort. From the photo, there is obvious recent activity going on there. The site is an interesting location because the backstage service monorail runs through it. Is the recent activity going on there related to the Fantasyland expansion project or something else?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, the excavation shown on Google maps on the other side of the road from that site is a storm water retention pond for the Fantasyland Expansion.

WDW John

Storm Water Retention Pond?

To me it looks like maybe a staging area for construction work at FLE. Perhaps that area is where they are putting stuff for short term storage before it gets installed. For example, Beast's Castle is built and ready to be placed, but the building isn't quite ready for it yet. Drop it in the staging area, finish up the work at the building then move Beast's Castle over and install.

Also, in the Bing Maps shot it looks like many more cars are parked there than in the Google Maps shot. Construction is clearly further along in Bing Maps so maybe the workers are parking there and riding over to the actual site.

Anyway, just guessing...

ob1thx1138

To me it looks like maybe a staging area for construction work at FLE. Perhaps that area is where they are putting stuff for short term storage before it gets installed. For example, Beast's Castle is built and ready to be placed, but the building isn't quite ready for it yet. Drop it in the staging area, finish up the work at the building then move Beast's Castle over and install.

Also, in the Bing Maps shot it looks like many more cars are parked there than in the Google Maps shot. Construction is clearly further along in Bing Maps so maybe the workers are parking there and riding over to the actual site.

Anyway, just guessing...

I believe the original poster was talking about the area West of World Drive which is just the addition to the retaining pond. The area East of World drive has been a storage site for a long time. At one point all of the 20K Subs were stored here. Although you are correct, it appears that the parking area is much more crowded so construction workers may be using that area for parking.

**Edited to add this**

If you go to birds eye view on bing, the image is from a time before the FLE construction began and that parking lot is still full, so perhaps that is just a normal parking area and the other image was from an off day.

mvieguy

what i want to know, is north of the Animal Kingdom there looks like an old Zoo or some sort of park, parking lot is still there, and all the buildings and attractions, but you can tell its not used anymore

any idea as to what this was?

mrerk

Premium Member
what i want to know, is north of the Animal Kingdom there looks like an old Zoo or some sort of park, parking lot is still there, and all the buildings and attractions, but you can tell its not used anymore any idea as to what this was?

Mostly backstage support areas for AK. Further north there is the tree farm, bus maintenance, trash/recycling transfer station and some of the wastewater treatment facilities.

mvieguy

Mostly backstage support areas for AK. Further north there is the tree farm, bus maintenance, trash/recycling transfer station and some of the wastewater treatment facilities.

nah, i mean find formosa GARDENS BLDV and splendid china blvd

was there a theme park called Spendid China?

aladdin2007

nah, i mean find formosa GARDENS BLDV and splendid china blvd

was there a theme park called Spendid China?

There was, never made it there myself but kind of wanted to. Gosh thats been gone a long time now, when did it shut down? and what is on the site now? Off topic I know but just wondering.

PhilharMagician

The area that the perisian was supposed to be is currently wooded. The are just to the North of that is the Bone Yard. This area is where many large item may be stored. Like the OP mentioned, the subs spent some time there after their removal from the lagoon. If you go back to the 2002 imagery you can see the suns located in the southwest corner of the lot. This area is not really used for staging FLE. The STOLPort is the FLE staging area complete with Construction management facilities.

The area just North of Space Mountain is for added water retention.

Note that the latest imagery from this are was taken in May of 2010.

The area just North of Kali River Rapids has been cleared since the original AK construction. Some of this area was used for staging while EE was being built. Again, just look at imagery from 2005 while EE was under construction and you will see equipment and trailer on the extreme West side of the plot, then they are all gone in 06' when EE was complete.

WDW John

I believe the original poster was talking about the area West of World Drive which is just the addition to the retaining pond.

Ahh, I see. I guess I was thrown off by this:

PeterAlt said:
The site is an interesting location because the backstage service monorail runs through it.

The site I was referring to seems closer to the monorail so I figured that's what he was talking about. Plus, that area looks like it has a dock (or something) on Bay Lake, as a resort would probably have. Also, that retaining pond area seems pretty small to be building a resort on.

Since I can't seem to find the link the OP saw on Google Maps pointing him to Wikipedia, can anyone show us where the Persian was planned to be?

WDWFanatic

The persian resort would have gone somewhere right around where the boneyard is on world drive, maybe a little south of it. look at the bottom right.
persian.jpg

WDW John

The persian resort would have gone somewhere right around where the boneyard is on world drive, maybe a little south of it. look at the bottom right.

Nice. Any idea what resort is at 12:00 a little further than GF?

Side note: I'm actually pretty happy all these other resorts haven't popped up around MK and on the monorail line. I like having the Deluxe Resorts spread out over the property more as they are today.

PeterAlt

Original Poster
Ahh, I see. I guess I was thrown off by this:

The site I was referring to seems closer to the monorail so I figured that's what he was talking about. Plus, that area looks like it has a dock (or something) on Bay Lake, as a resort would probably have. Also, that retaining pond area seems pretty small to be building a resort on.

Since I can't seem to find the link the OP saw on Google Maps pointing him to Wikipedia, can anyone show us where the Persian was planned to be?

Hi. Correction: I meant Google Earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom