Permanent move to Orlando area

DHH

Original Poster
MY wife and I are discussing a permanent move to the Orlando area. Prefer Kissimmee or area that is retiree friendly. Any suggestions ? We would live here year around

LovePop

I envy you! Are you looking to buy a house or rent? I recommend renting a luxury apartment complex. They are like a hotel with its own pool, exercise room, etc. You are one step before a true retirement community. Renting is better because you no longer have to mow lawn, rake leaves, clean pool, maintain the treadmill, maintain anything else! They also have elevators and individual washer dryers. You are a 7 minute drive from DHS and 5 minutes from the local Walmart Supercenter in Kissimmee (says Google map), not to mention the 5 zillion restaurants in the area aiming at tourists.

One example of such an apartment complex is the Camden World Gateway

I've never lived there, but they have up to 4 bedroom units, so should fit any retiring family's needs, and their prices are reasonable. I've been ogling this apartment for years, wishing I could move there. I can't because husband has deep ties in my area and wants to die here in our little western town that has nothing.... But I won't bore you with my sad tale.

macefamily

We've been staying in Kissimmee for the past ten years at a gated community for our Disney/Universal trips. I've seen the area consistently decline. Crime is growing. We were packing our car for an early flight at 3:30 AM and I went back in the townhouse for another bag. When I came out the two suitcases were gone. We called the Kissimmee police department on our way to the airport. Luckily, it was only dirty clothes and some toiletries.
We were back at the same development two weeks ago staying in another unit. I don't know why we went back. On our last night there I was taking the trash to the community dumpster at around 2:30 AM. When I turned a corner there was a white sedan. Two guys ran back to it, shut the headlights off, and sped away. I think they were checking cars for unlocked doors. Probably the same scumbags who jacked my luggage :mad:
Coming back from the parks on that same trip we were waiting at a red light on 192 to make our turn at around 11:30 PM. We noticed two homeless guys arguing in a parking lot. After one pushed the other, the guy pulled a knife on him. He took a few slashes, not sure if he sliced him. We got the hell out of there.
Also, lots of panhandlers in the Kissimmee area. They're not shy to approach you.

Lilofan

We've been staying in Kissimmee for the past ten years at a gated community for our Disney/Universal trips. I've seen the area consistently decline. Crime is growing. We were packing our car for an early flight at 3:30 AM and I went back in the townhouse for another bag. When I came out the two suitcases were gone. We called the Kissimmee police department on our way to the airport. Luckily, it was only dirty clothes and some toiletries.
We were back at the same development two weeks ago staying in another unit. I don't know why we went back. On our last night there I was taking the trash to the community dumpster at around 2:30 AM. When I turned a corner there was a white sedan. Two guys ran back to it, shut the headlights off, and sped away. I think they were checking cars for unlocked doors. Probably the same scumbags who jacked my luggage :mad:
Coming back from the parks on that same trip we were waiting at a red light on 192 to make our turn at around 11:30 PM. We noticed two homeless guys arguing in a parking lot. After one pushed the other, the guy pulled a knife on him. He took a few slashes, not sure if he sliced him. We got the hell out of there.
Also, lots of panhandlers in the Kissimmee area. They're not shy to approach you.
What you said is 100% correct , even not safe right outside Celebration's doorstep and if any guests stay at AK lodge and venture into Hwy 192 in Kissimmee minutes away for other food options, it is a different world. When some decide to stay outside the bubble safety of WDW, watch your back at all times.

DHH

Original Poster
Is there any where that anyone would recommend moving too say less than 30 mins no more than an hour away from the main gate?

Vegas Disney Fan

We’re also looking at Orlando but leaning towards the Clermont / Horizon West area. Our plan is to rent a house for 6 months before settling down anywhere. We figure we’ll lose about $10k in rent but that’s much cheaper than buying in the wrong area and having to sell, rebuy, and move everything again.

Lilofan

We’re also looking at Orlando but leaning towards the Clermont / Horizon West area. Our plan is to rent a house for 6 months before settling down anywhere. We figure we’ll lose about $10k in rent but that’s much cheaper than buying in the wrong area and having to sell, rebuy, and move everything again.
Clermont 15 years ago was nothing but orange groves but currently it is the area where many are moving to and rents and home prices are higher than other areas. Your move to rent to see if you like it is a good idea.

ColinGill

Like any other city, Orlando has its pros and cons. In my opinion, of course, there are more pros, but you decide whether it is worth it to move here because of the cons, which I will list below.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Like any other city, Orlando has its pros and cons. In my opinion, of course, there are more pros, but you decide whether it is worth it to move here because of the cons, which I will list below.
Where are those cons?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom