Perceptions change as we get older?

prattler

Original Poster
First of all, hello to everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for a few months now and have finally joined. It's been very enjoyable reading through things and learning a lot about the behind-the-scenes fun of WDW.

I used to live in Orlando as a child, and my parents had the 3 Seasons Salute passes. Then after moving away and not visiting for many years, i finally returned in 2003. When visiting Epcot, i was shocked to find the Imagination pavilion on the west side of the park, as i remembered (very wrongly, of course) as a child it being on the east side.

Anyone else shocked to find things not as you remember them being as a child?

Grizzly Hall 71

First of all, hello to everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for a few months now and have finally joined. It's been very enjoyable reading through things and learning a lot about the behind-the-scenes fun of WDW.

I used to live in Orlando as a child, and my parents had the 3 Seasons Salute passes. Then after moving away and not visiting for many years, i finally returned in 2003. When visiting Epcot, i was shocked to find the Imagination pavilion on the west side of the park, as i remembered (very wrongly, of course) as a child it being on the east side.

Let me be the first to welcome you! :).

But yes, my misconception as a child at WDW was that on Splash Mountain you go through the Briar Patch and get plucked. I use to tell my family that so we didn't have to ride. Boy was I happy I was wrong though because now I love it :).

WDW_Emily

I dont remember any from when I was younger but my sister went on Snow white's Scary adventures when she was around 3ish. she didn't do too well and the queen freaked her out. every trip after that she insisted the witch goes on the cart your in and wouldn't ride. we finally got her back on the ride this year(when she was almost 11) and couldnt believe the queen just stayed there.:lol:

djdan

I remember most as a kid the chocolate chip muffins from Melvin the Moose at FW, and Minnie's Miny Hooney (I'm POSITIVE that's spelled incorrectly) at Polynesian. I also remember during Christmas time, every door in every WDW hotel and campsite would get a stocking full of candy. Ah, the old days....

zurgandfriend

I remember Minnie's Menehune Breakfast at the Polynesian from my honeymoon circa 1995.
I could swear however that there was a buffet, not Chef Mickey’s, on the Grand Canyon Concourse with a character name. It was called the Rescue Rangers Buffet or something like that. I remember they had largest bowl of shrimp I have ever seen. Everyone I have talked to say there never was a buffet by that name and DW says I am crazy.
I also remember characters, Tigger & Co., for breakfast at the Concourse Steakhouse.

elfshadowreaper

I remember Pirates of the Caribbean being a 90° drop back in the late 80s. As much as I want to believe my memories, I have a sneaky suspicion that my memories have either faded with time or I was just a kid and my perception was a little off. Does anyone know if it used to be steeper than it is now?

I also remember main street having these HUGE chocolate chip cookies that were so good when I was little. They may still have them and I just haven't looked hard enough.

I definitely remember Snow White being scarier, but I know that the renovation made the witch less prominent.

Does anyone remember the Disney Inn? I loved that place when I was a kid. They even had the dwarfs out front and my cousins and I would try to name them.

prattler

Original Poster
It's great reading all of these! And yes, that drop in PotC sure used to feel a lot steeper...i distinctly remember not liking it when i was little.

lilclerk

I was absolutely terrified of Spaceship Earth because I thought I was going to fall out of the car all the way down to the bottom of the ball.
It's now one of my very favorite attractions, though I still get a little nervous on the ride down backwards. :eek:

Walt Disney1955

I've posted on a thread like this before so I will try to think of some new ones.

I remember first going in 1991. I did not get the chance to ride Mr. Toad. For some reason the lineup for that ride was the longest at Fantasyland that day by the looks of it because I remember my mom saying "oh that looks to long". In the later years (1995, 1997) I rode it before it closed up for good but I often wonder how that could have had the longest wait, maybe it's possible I guess.

This wasn't too long ago, but I also remember at the Town Square in MK that there was a video of Walt. Not the original "Walt Disney Story" but this was in March of 2002. I think it might have had a lot to do with it being his 100th birthday celebration because when I returned in 2009 nothing was there.

Ziffman

This isn't really a "misconception" necessarily, but rather an example of becoming fully immersed in the illusion 100%.... But when I was a kid, there were two rides that we would always tend to ride fairly early in the day: Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean. Because both of these rides are primarily "set" in nighttime scenes, I would always be surprised when we would get off the ride and discover it was still daylight. That was always the coolest feeling because it would make me realize that we still had the whole day ahead of us still. It was like the feeling of being given the gift of time! :lol:

Worktillidie

Memories

I remember the skyline carts that took you from tommorrowland to i think adventureland. I loved looking down over the MK, especially at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom