Paying With Cash

higgipoker

Is it possible to settle your bill on checkout with cash? Specifically I mean all purchases done with Magic Band and Mobile app including Genie+ and LL?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Mobile app purchases require a credit, debit or gift card. The method of payment is charged or debited the moment of purchase. You cannot use cash.

I’m going to assume your resort room and tickets are fully paid prior to your arrival, so only charges using your MagicBand will be posted to your room folio. In this case, you need a credit card to “hold” the charges (and once you hit a certain amount your card is charged, not necessarily on check out day). What you can do (if you want to use cash) is to go to the Front Desk each evening and pay the day’s charges with cash. You cannot wait until checkout day unless you want a big hassle. 😉

Upvote 0

higgipoker

Original Poster
Helpful, thanks. Yes room and tickets all pre-paid. We also have a package that includes a decent food allowance every day, so we're going to find it difficult to get rid of those bills! 🙃

Upvote 0

drizgirl

Mobile app purchases require a credit, debit or gift card. The method of payment is charged or debited the moment of purchase. You cannot use cash.
I actually don't think they are. I think that's part of the deal, not wanting to charge each individual purchase. I believe they group them and hit the card in batches. So not at once. I think you can stop and pay them off each day if you want, but not sure if they take cash for that. I've heard some do that with gift cards. Sounds like a big hassle though.

Upvote 0

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
From planDisney July 2020:

You may request a printout of all charges made with MagicBands from anyone in your party you have given charging capabilities. Simply visit the front desk of your Walt Disney World Resort Hotel and ask. You may also pay for any and all charges at that time using cash or using a Disney Gift Card. For any charges you carry over to the next day, there will be a temporary authorization put through on your credit card for that amount plus $100 more to be sure the funds are available. For this reason, I never recommend using a Debit Card, which is tied to your checking account, as your checking account funds would be temporarily on hold. Please be aware that you must pay all charges the evening before your check-out date, or the credit card you linked to your My Disney Experience account will be charged overnight for any remaining purchases. Charging limits vary depending on which resort category you will be calling home for your stay. Check with the front desk on arrival to inquire about your specific spending limit. Of course, once you clear up your balance, your limit will also reset.

^That’s how I remember it working for us in the past.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I actually don't think they are. I think that's part of the deal, not wanting to charge each individual purchase. I believe they group them and hit the card in batches. So not at once. I think you can stop and pay them off each day if you want, but not sure if they take cash for that. I've heard some do that with gift cards. Sounds like a big hassle though.
The purchases made via mobile app (not MagicBand) post to the credit card same day, and debit/gift cards balance immediately reduce. It is a separate process from using MagicBands to charge to the room and mobile app charges do not appear on a room folio.

At least that is the way it has worked for ME during many trips over the past few years.

Upvote 0

James J

In the Parks
No
Helpful, thanks. Yes room and tickets all pre-paid. We also have a package that includes a decent food allowance every day, so we're going to find it difficult to get rid of those bills! 🙃
As you're travelling from the UK/Ireland, wouldn't loading up a travel debit card be a better option? I've got a Caxton FX card which I've had since 2017, which works just like a normal debit card and you load it up with USD via an app. It's super convenient and means we don't need to take much actual cash - for our trip in a couple of weeks, we're only taking enough to cover tips. You can withdraw cash using it free of charge as well if you really need to.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

As you're travelling from the UK/Ireland, wouldn't loading up a travel debit card be a better option? I've got a Caxton FX card which I've had since 2017, which works just like a normal debit card and you load it up with USD via an app. It's super convenient and means we don't need to take much actual cash - for our trip in a couple of weeks, we're only taking enough to cover tips. You can withdraw cash using it free of charge as well if you really need to.
Do you guys not have credit cards that don't charge foreign transaction fees?

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They used to let it roll until the night before checkout and the it was charged at once on the overnight roll…

That no longer Happens. The system charges/clears itself each night.

My recommendation if you want to pay cash/not use credit is use Disney gift cards at the POS and skip the room charge altogether…

You can buy/combine them up to $1000 each

Upvote 0

higgipoker

Original Poster
Sorry should have mentioned, the reason for the question is that we already have quite the wad of bills to get rid of! Rather spend on our vacation than taking to the bank and taking the hit on rates/conversion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I suspect Disney will eventually go cashless at all of their parks in the near future. We are seeing it in Pennsylvania this year at Hershey Park and Dorney Park.
They tried that a few years back at AKL. It was dropped very quietly, wasn’t a success.

Upvote 0

kalel8145

They used to let it roll until the night before checkout and the it was charged at once on the overnight roll…

That no longer Happens. The system charges/clears itself each night.

My recommendation if you want to pay cash/not use credit is use Disney gift cards at the POS and skip the room charge altogether…

You can buy/combine them up to $1000 each
We buy in $100 cards. Grab one each before we head out to the parks each day. MagicBand only for souvenirs. Helps limit spending.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They tried that a few years back at AKL. It was dropped very quietly, wasn’t a success.
It’s still gonna happen though. A bit of a different world now. And the real thing is Disney could save costs by dumping the cash. Security/logistics are still quite burdensome with cash.

They don’t love terminal charges…but if there are enough cashless systems being used, they can leverage them against each other to get sweetheart deals.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

It’s still gonna happen though. A bit of a different world now. And the real thing is Disney could save costs by dumping the cash. Security/logistics are still quite burdensome with cash.

They don’t love terminal charges…but if there are enough cashless systems being used, they can leverage them against each other to get sweetheart deals.
I don't foresee a day where the mouse turns down cold hard cash.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom