Paying for the dining plan?

Tom P.

OK, since you brought this up, I will respond...the majority of posts on the whole website paints the DDP as a bad value and it is single- handedly responsible for the "down turn" of the food at WDW. That's what I'm defending...maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it works for US. We don't drink alcohol, and yes, we do tend to order the steaks, etc., the higher priced items on the menu. As far as beverages goes, yeah, we'll have a lemonade at our meals. If I'm coming across as defensive, I guess I am, because, the DDP gets trashed on here for everything...and oh, just so you know, lest you think that we all take 2 spots each on the bus, I'm 6'3", 165 lbs. and my DD's are both tall and athletic. It's my opinion, just like yours that I'm defensive. No one is wrong, no one is right...it's just our opinion.
Amen. The dining plan is not for everyone, but is also not wrong for everyone either. Yet there seems to be this universal hatred on these boards for it, no matter what the circumstances. Even when free dining is released, the constant mantra is that you will be better off taking the room discount than the free dining plan, even though for our family I've done the math and we easily save $2,000 from free dining vs. the room discount.

Again, I'm not saying that the dining plan works for everyone. It doesn't. But those who make it sound like you either never or almost never get any value out of it are mistaken as well. And there shouldn't be such a visceral reaction to it either way. It's just a personal choice, no different than deciding whether to buy park hopper tickets or to add Memory Maker. Neither choice is right or wrong.

correcaminos

OK, since you brought this up, I will respond...the majority of posts on the whole website paints the DDP as a bad value and it is single- handedly responsible for the "down turn" of the food at WDW. That's what I'm defending...maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it works for US. We don't drink alcohol, and yes, we do tend to order the steaks, etc., the higher priced items on the menu. As far as beverages goes, yeah, we'll have a lemonade at our meals. If I'm coming across as defensive, I guess I am, because, the DDP gets trashed on here for everything...and oh, just so you know, lest you think that we all take 2 spots each on the bus, I'm 6'3", 165 lbs. and my DD's are both tall and athletic. It's my opinion, just like yours that I'm defensive. No one is wrong, no one is right...it's just our opinion.

I hate to say it, for the most part and for the average person, it is a bad value. Sorry. It's not that it cannot work for people, just that it won't work for *most* people. So nothing to be defensive about on it :)

Personally it's a lousy deal for someone who won't eat red meat, doesn't drink alcohol, has no room for dessert. An average eater who isn't as tall as you it won't work. Doesn't meant it's bad for all, but I don't see the need to defend a choice if it works. I think if you explain the type it does work for and give money comparisons (OOP costs vs what you paid) it would help those who might want to buy.

For me it's a 100% waste though. I am 5' tall and the size of a lot of 5-6th graders I know. I don't eat red meat. I don't drink alcohol. I don't drink sugary drinks most meals - usually water. I don't get dessert most of the time. I'm the type Disney is hoping for. Again share the costs of the plan with others and what you get and what you'd have had to pay and it will help show the few times it does work! That would be helpful. But to come in and state how wrong people are for suggesting that one should do the math isn't really that great.

As a whole it's a money maker for Disney or they wouldn't offer it. Nothing personal though, and you are in the minority of who it does work for. Hence the suggestion, run numbers to be sure.

Hockey89

Amen. The dining plan is not for everyone, but is also not wrong for everyone either. Yet there seems to be this universal hatred on these boards for it, no matter what the circumstances. Even when free dining is released, the constant mantra is that you will be better off taking the room discount than the free dining plan, even though for our family I've done the math and we easily save $2,000 from free dining vs. the room discount.

Again, I'm not saying that the dining plan works for everyone. It doesn't. But those who make it sound like you either never or almost never get any value out of it are mistaken as well. And there shouldn't be such a visceral reaction to it either way. It's just a personal choice, no different than deciding whether to buy park hopper tickets or to add Memory Maker. Neither choice is right or wrong.
It is hatred because it has killed the food at Disney... That is what people react that way... Plus, it is a huge money maker for Disney so it is a waste for most people....

Jon81uk

It is hatred because it has killed the food at Disney... That is what people react that way... Plus, it is a huge money maker for Disney so it is a waste for most people....
Its not just the dining plan that has changed food options. The parks got busier anyway and many restaurants got busier, some people don't like the more interesting options so everything got blander. Also there have been big pushes across WDW to maximise profits, so quality has dropped and prices have gone up on everything.
Most of this has nothing to do with the plan.

Tom P.

Its not just the dining plan that has changed food options. The parks got busier anyway and many restaurants got busier, some people don't like the more interesting options so everything got blander. Also there have been big pushes across WDW to maximise profits, so quality has dropped and prices have gone up on everything.
Most of this has nothing to do with the plan.
Correct. I don't think the food situation is as bad as people like to portray it. I think there are still plenty of interesting and high-quality options available. But to the extent restaurant food has been homogenized, it's largely been done for the same reason people are now complaining that the new resorts are bland and all the same. They are no longer trying to cater certain restaurants to different niches. They are trying to appeal to the widest possible group of people in order to maximize profits, and that means less adventurous food. The dining plan may have had a tangential relationship to all of that, but nowhere near to the degree that people like to portray it.

correcaminos

Correct. I don't think the food situation is as bad as people like to portray it. I think there are still plenty of interesting and high-quality options available. But to the extent restaurant food has been homogenized, it's largely been done for the same reason people are now complaining that the new resorts are bland and all the same. They are no longer trying to cater certain restaurants to different niches. They are trying to appeal to the widest possible group of people in order to maximize profits, and that means less adventurous food. The dining plan may have had a tangential relationship to all of that, but nowhere near to the degree that people like to portray it.
For those of us who have been going for a long time, it's hard not to see a very strong correlation with food sucking (I'd say the low was around 2010) and the dining plan.

The reason why they make things bland is because people want bland, which is a shame. I've seen my favorite restaurants destroyed by this trend.

I also think it's silly that every single restaurant seems to have to offer americanized steak.

Do I blame the Dining Plan? Not really. Do I blame unadventurous people who think that steak and potatoes are a great meal every single day? Maybe a little ;) It does suck though as a whole and honestly exactly why we utilize our kitchen more than before. Food has slowly improved in the last 9 or so years but still not great enough for us to go on and on about or waste money on.

Tom P.

For those of us who have been going for a long time, it's hard not to see a very strong correlation with food sucking (I'd say the low was around 2010) and the dining plan.

The reason why they make things bland is because people want bland, which is a shame. I've seen my favorite restaurants destroyed by this trend.

I also think it's silly that every single restaurant seems to have to offer americanized steak.

Do I blame the Dining Plan? Not really. Do I blame unadventurous people who think that steak and potatoes are a great meal every single day? Maybe a little ;) It does suck though as a whole and honestly exactly why we utilize our kitchen more than before. Food has slowly improved in the last 9 or so years but still not great enough for us to go on and on about or waste money on.
That's not unique to Disney, though. Look at any good Mexican or Italian or whatever restaurant anywhere, and you'll likely find a basic steak on the menu. Why? People want it. And, in particular, they want to accommodate people who have someone in their party who would be reluctant to eat there otherwise.

I also have to disagree with your basic assessment of the food quality at WDW. You say that the food "sucks", but I don't think that's the case at all. There might not be the variety you want, but I still think the food quality at most WDW restaurants is rather good.

correcaminos

That's not unique to Disney, though. Look at any good Mexican or Italian or whatever restaurant anywhere, and you'll likely find a basic steak on the menu. Why? People want it. And, in particular, they want to accommodate people who have someone in their party who would be reluctant to eat there otherwise.

I also have to disagree with your basic assessment of the food quality at WDW. You say that the food "sucks", but I don't think that's the case at all. There might not be the variety you want, but I still think the food quality at most WDW restaurants is rather good.
Not locally - we have pretty darn good and unique food where I live. It has gotten more interesting locally vs what I've seen at Disney. Granted I'm in the midwest, but the push for unique but using local and sustainable foods is big.

We will have to agree to disagree on the food. Maybe we're lucky with good quality foods here being close to the source of a lot of the foods, but Disney foods is mediocre at best as a whole with some being good. Very little excellent or above. That said the word use "suck" was referring to the quality decreasing. Not that the food is sucky - it's all pretty edible at least.

Hockey89

If you don't think the food quality has gone down dramatically since 2010, there is no point in talking because that is laughable.... If you compare their "quality" TO NYC/Boston/LA/Vegas ect ect it is not even close. The Yachtsman steakhouse is one step away from being the 99 steakhouse... Poor Artist Point was a fine place until it was ruined and now is a character place.... I could go on and on, but the DDP has impacted the food quality greatly....

Hockey89

Not locally - we have pretty darn good and unique food where I live. It has gotten more interesting locally vs what I've seen at Disney. Granted I'm in the midwest, but the push for unique but using local and sustainable foods is big.

We will have to agree to disagree on the food. Maybe we're lucky with good quality foods here being close to the source of a lot of the foods, but Disney foods is mediocre at best as a whole with some being good. Very little excellent or above. That said the word use "suck" was referring to the quality decreasing. Not that the food is sucky - it's all pretty edible at least.
Agreed completely. We have tons of variety and different types of food where I live... If you want boring and standard food, Disney is ready for you...

Mainahman

When we had our daughter with us, the dining plan made sense, or if you happen to be there for a festival. 1 quick service credit is 3 snacks ;) that came in handy at flower and garden last year!! Darn you canada and your scallops! for my wife and I, we can order a platter, and share. we can get a quick muffin or something at the resort on our way to the bus. Its definitely right for the right trips etc, our short weekend trips not so much.

Tom P.

Agreed completely. We have tons of variety and different types of food where I live... If you want boring and standard food, Disney is ready for you...
You know what the majority of Americans want? Boring and standard food. Disney is catering to that. And I think they would be catering to that at this point with or without the existence of the dining plan.

I think perhaps we're debating two different things. You can have food that is boring and standard, but is of good quality. That is a separate issue from having variety in the food choices and more diverse/adventurous options for those who want them.

I am not arguing that Disney's food hasn't gotten more "generic" and homogenized over the years. There is definitely less variety than their used to be. What I am saying, though, is that the food they do have is generally not bad in terms of quality.

Smiley/OCD

I hate to say it, for the most part and for the average person, it is a bad value. Sorry. It's not that it cannot work for people, just that it won't work for *most* people. So nothing to be defensive about on it :)

Personally it's a lousy deal for someone who won't eat red meat, doesn't drink alcohol, has no room for dessert. An average eater who isn't as tall as you it won't work. Doesn't meant it's bad for all, but I don't see the need to defend a choice if it works. I think if you explain the type it does work for and give money comparisons (OOP costs vs what you paid) it would help those who might want to buy.

For me it's a 100% waste though. I am 5' tall and the size of a lot of 5-6th graders I know. I don't eat red meat. I don't drink alcohol. I don't drink sugary drinks most meals - usually water. I don't get dessert most of the time. I'm the type Disney is hoping for. Again share the costs of the plan with others and what you get and what you'd have had to pay and it will help show the few times it does work! That would be helpful. But to come in and state how wrong people are for suggesting that one should do the math isn't really that great.

As a whole it's a money maker for Disney or they wouldn't offer it. Nothing personal though, and you are in the minority of who it does work for. Hence the suggestion, run numbers to be sure.
First off, I AGREE with you that it doesn't work for everyone...I've said that NUMEROUS times. Secondly, "But to come in and state how wrong people are..." I hate to tell you, but I NEVER said that or IMPLIED that...FAKE NEWS. Thirdly, of course, it's a money maker for Disney...so is the add on events, memory maker, charging a small fortune for a bottle of water and all the souvenirs, etc. It's no different than paying 10 bucks for a tub of popcorn at the movies. We, as guests, are a captive audience...unless you bring in your own water and soda (which we do, because I only drink diet Pepsi and the rest of the family only drinks Poland Spring water). I respect your opinion along with everyone else's on here, but please don't put words in my mouth.

Mainahman

First off, I AGREE with you that it doesn't work for everyone...I've said that NUMEROUS times. Secondly, "But to come in and state how wrong people are..." I hate to tell you, but I NEVER said that or IMPLIED that...FAKE NEWS. Thirdly, of course, it's a money maker for Disney...so is the add on events, memory maker, charging a small fortune for a bottle of water and all the souvenirs, etc. It's no different than paying 10 bucks for a tub of popcorn at the movies. We, as guests, are a captive audience...unless you bring in your own water and soda (which we do, because I only drink diet Pepsi and the rest of the family only drinks Poland Spring water). I respect your opinion along with everyone else's on here, but please don't put words in my mouth.
Oh Poland spring!!! How I miss that!

cslafferty

I was raised in a “meat and potatoes” house, so I guess you can say my husband and I enjoy “boring, American food.” We look forward to great meals while we’re at WDW, and are rarely disappointed. The thing I don’t like about free dining is it’s clogged up the table service restaurants so that it’s pretty impossible to get a table at most restaurants unless you’ve made ADR’s way in advance. This has taken the spontaneity out of a WDW vacation unless you do all QS meals.

Mainahman

I know BJ's in Orlando now carries it...check your local store...maybe they carry it too!
We're just outside of Nashville. ( Originally from Maine) so all we get is deer Park. My wife is going home next month to visit. Coming back she's been tasked with 2 things. A trunk full of Poland spring and humpty Dumpty chips!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom