Party size for ADRs?

boujiemama

Original Poster
We are going in April with our two daughters, one is 12 the other is 2 (almost 3). I'm trying to make reservations at Sci Fi but cannot find anything for a party of 4. Do have to include the 2 yr old in our party size?
Also I did find one spot open for a party of 2. What would they do if all 4 of us showed up?

Hcalvert

I've booked for one less person that we had and then went and saw the restaurant and explained the situation. They were accommodating. I cannot speak to having two extra people. You need to include your 2 year old on the reservation so that they know you are taking up 4 seats/spots instead of 3.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
It WILL matter at Sci-fi. The cars have three seats which each hold two people. Parties of two will share a car with parties of four, so if you show up with 4 with an ADR for 2 it is unlikely you will be seated if the restaurant is busy.

And yes you must include your two-year-old on ALL ADRs, even if she will use a high chair. This is for capacity/fire code issues.

NYwdwfan

Restaurants have a maximum occupancy that they cannot exceed so accommodating larger parties would be on a case by case basis. If you make a reservation for 2 they are expecting 2 at a table for 2. If you show up with 4 there’s a good chance they will not be able to seat you for a while, if at all.

DisAl

Yes, for all the reasons listed above. We had a family group of 8 last June. A challenge at some locations but starting at the 180 day mark we got everything we wanted. You might try using the ThemeParkTourist.com reservation finder. You register there and you will get an email if something opens up. You have to act quickly though because you probably won't be the only one looking.

DisneyJoe

It WILL matter at Sci-fi. The cars have three seats which each hold two people. Parties of two will share a car with parties of four, so if you show up with 4 with an ADR for 2 it is unlikely you will be seated if the restaurant is busy.

And yes you must include your two-year-old on ALL ADRs, even if she will use a high chair. This is for capacity/fire code issues.
Some Sci-Fi cars have 2 rows of 2 seats; there are also cars with bench seats along each side to seat larger parties.

HouCuseChickie

I think your best bet is to keep stalking for an ADR for your actual party size and be a bit flexible with the timing. If anything, you may get lucky when people start dropping last minute to avoid no show fees.

boujiemama

Original Poster

Thank you for this helpful information!! This is exactly what I needed to know.

boujiemama

Original Poster
You need to book for your ACTUAL party size, i.e. the number of humans who will be dining with you.
Thanks, Captain. I could have asked Disney and gotten that answer. I'm asking on the forum because I'd like to know from people's experiences how much wiggle room they have to be flexible at this particular restaurant.

CaptainAmerica

Don't criticize someone when they give you the correct answer..... Isn't that what you were looking for?
Especially because people use these forums as reference when planning their WDW vacations. Folks who join but rarely post and others who never even join in the first place will take something they read here and run with it as if they found it on an official Disney website. I think it's very important that we not spread misinformation.

For example, a common question people ask is whether they need to include their babies under 3 in dining reservations, since those kids are free at buffets and certain other restaurants. That's why I phrased the response the way I did. Every human being in your dining party counts toward the party size, regardless of age, highchair, wheelchair, or any other factor that could theoretically exclude them.

But let's be honest. The OP wasn't asking a sincere question about what counts toward your party size. She was asking whether she could knowingly break the rules and get away with it.

DisAl

CA is 100% correct. The party number is not as much about how many meals as it is how many seating spaces you are going to occupy. An under 3 toddler takes up just as much seating space as an adult. If you show up with 4 when they have a table for 2 reserved you won't get seated unless they happen to have an empty table.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Thanks, Captain. I could have asked Disney and gotten that answer. I'm asking on the forum because I'd like to know from people's experiences how much wiggle room they have to be flexible at this particular restaurant.

Well Miss, Ms, or Mr Asipriant, it's not a routine fast food stop. You're reserving a particular sized space for a defined number of people. If thats too restrictive, there are plenty of counter service places you can stop at that dont care how many seats you take up like the ABC Commissary or Backlot Express.

Tony the Tigger

C2D4DA2F-FF31-4825-A71E-ABC1E9576A54.jpeg

boujiemama

Original Poster
Actually, it was a sincere question, and your initial response was non specific and insulting. Had no helpful information to add. I was looking for personal experience and advice from others who may have found themselves in my situation before. Others did comment that they were successful in adding more to their party by calling the restaurant or by going in-person ahead of time to ask, and the restaurant was able to accommodate them. So obviously, there is some wiggle room sometimes.
I'm really just looking for solutions. Not wanting to argue about the rules.
The last time I went to Disney was 20 years ago and ADR's were not a thing. I have no personal experience to go on, which is why I posted the question in the first place.

CaptainAmerica

Others did comment that they were successful in adding more to their party by calling the restaurant or by going in-person ahead of time to ask, and the restaurant was able to accommodate them.
Yes, Disney sometimes goes out of their way to accommodate guests. I've heard of Disney giving free clothes to people whose luggage was lost by their airline. Deliberately booking a reservation for less than you know you need and hoping to dupe the check-in cast member into squeezing you in is like faking a lost suitcase in the hopes of getting free clothes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom