parking when heading to International Gateway

PARichards

The plan: self, DH, and 4DDs to finish up at AK around 5:30 then drive to Epcot to snack/eat dinner around the WS.

Dilemma: it just occurred to me we might be better off entering thru the IG. But where to park? Can we park at the Boardwalk or Beach Club?And if we park at either resort, how long of a walk from there to the IG? We don't plan to do much more than play Agent P's in UK, eat in Morocco then take the boat across the lake to ride Maelstrom before heading back to the resort to rest for RD the next day. It's likely our only chance to see the WS, as we only have 4 days for the parks, and I'm looking for the easiest/fastest way to get in and out of Epcot- TIA!

Redsky89

I've done this before. Its a good 15 minute walk if I remember correctly. We parked at the Beach Club and walked through the Boardwalk area and then into Epcot. It may save you a few minutes but its close. Honestly if you are heading that late into Epcot sometimes you can park further up closer to the park entrance due to people who got to Epcot early and left for the evening.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

It is my understanding that you cannot park at any Disney resort unless you are a guest or have dinner reservations. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Take a bus from The AK to The Boardwalk, Beach or Yacht Club and then take a boat or walk to the IG. If you don't want to leave your car at The AK, drive to DTD and again take a bus to one of the above hotels. :cat:

Upvote 0

GrammieBee

If you start taking busses, you are adding a lot of travel time to your schedule. Busses from DTD are particularly bad.

The Beach Club is the closest to the gateway,but probably has the least parking spaces. We have never yet had any trouble parking in the farther reached of the Boardwalk Inn parking area. There is usually no question about needing reservations because there are several restaurants on the boardwalk.

It is, at most, a ten minute walk to the gateway from the boardwalk. There is also a boat you can take if it happens to be at the dock when you are at the boardwalk.

Upvote 0

PARichards

Original Poster
We are staying at AoA, and I thought I had read that you can park at other resorts for a few hours? I just wasn't sure if it would be faster/better to park at a boarwalk resort and head thru IG than it'd be to park at the main entrance & walk thru FW? I'd really rather not take buses on this particular day, and if it turns out ot be a big hassle, I'm willing to cut it short and just head back to AoA from AK. This is happening on Sept. 7, so not sure if that makes a difference...

Upvote 0

PARichards

Original Poster
Thanks, @GrammieBee ! We really are trying to avoid the buses on this particular day since we are getting a late start & then trying to add the hop. I was also worried that if we go thru FW, the kids might get distracted and wouldn't make it to Morocco- I am seriously craving some shawarma! They'll get to play in FW on another (recommended) morning, this hop would be a totally selfish, "because mom wants to" detour, and I'm trying to make it go smoothly!

Upvote 0

epcot2004

About 5 years ago we tried to park at Beach Club. It was our check out day so our parking pass was still valid. We were on our way to the Amtrak Auto Train and decided we would try to stop at Beaches and Cream for a quick last Disney lunch. Disney security would not let us park at the resort! So, needless to say we did not get our lunch as we were on a tight schedule. It was a very non-Disney type of experience and to this day I am not clear as to how a valid parking pass was not enough documentation to park. The reason given was that there were not enough parking spaces. I have never been to a Disney resort including Beach Club when parking was an issue as so many people still fly and do not have a car at the resort. If that was any other company I would have never returned but they have me under their control and still go at least once a year.

Upvote 0

Polyman

No sweat parking at the Boardwalk or Beach Club. Just don't tell the Security CM in the booth that you are going to Epcot. Tell him or her that you are coming in to dine. You don't need a reservation. For less questions from Security, park at the Boardwalk.

If you want to take a boat across the Lagoon to Norway, the last boat from Germany to Mexico (closest dock to Norway) leaves at 7:30pm.

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

About 5 years ago we tried to park at Beach Club. It was our check out day so our parking pass was still valid. We were on our way to the Amtrak Auto Train and decided we would try to stop at Beaches and Cream for a quick last Disney lunch. Disney security would not let us park at the resort! So, needless to say we did not get our lunch as we were on a tight schedule. It was a very non-Disney type of experience and to this day I am not clear as to how a valid parking pass was not enough documentation to park. The reason given was that there were not enough parking spaces. I have never been to a Disney resort including Beach Club when parking was an issue as so many people still fly and do not have a car at the resort. If that was any other company I would have never returned but they have me under their control and still go at least once a year.

Not enough parking spaces was the reason the parking pass was not enough documentation to park.

I would imagine they need to keep a number of spots reserved for guests that are set to check in that day. You are not required to pre-register a car with the resort so they would need to keep a certain number of spaces available for those guests that are registered. Imagine the uproar if someone checked in and was told they needed to park their car at another resort because the spots were filled by visitors to the resort.

Upvote 0

epcot2004

Not enough parking spaces was the reason the parking pass was not enough documentation to park.

I would imagine they need to keep a number of spots reserved for guests that are set to check in that day. You are not required to pre-register a car with the resort so they would need to keep a certain number of spaces available for those guests that are registered. Imagine the uproar if someone checked in and was told they needed to park their car at another resort because the spots were filled by visitors to the resort.

It's water under the bridge now but the OP wants to park at the resort for an evening at EPCOT - we only needed an hour for lunch. We drive down, stay on property and have never seen a resort lot more than 75% occupied. No big deal now as we stay at Beach/Yacht Club. :)

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

I don't think Beach Club parking lot will be that busy on a Sunday evening especially since it is before the F&W Festival. Tell the guy at the booth that you are going to Beaches & Cream for ice cream and walk around the Boardwalk. We usually stay at Beach Club and the only time the parking lot was full was when they were putting down a new surface and a large portion of the lot was closed.

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

I say go for it and park at Beach Club or Boardwalk. They say if you're not staying at that hotel or dining there that you have a limited amount of parking time, but I have never actually seen someone get ticketed for that specific reason. I have gone up for the day, parked at Beach Club the entire day, and went to Epcot, all with no parking problems.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

A few years back an article about "Disney Secrets" was published in Budget Travel where the journalist listed places to park around the WDW property instead of having to pay for the individual parks lots. After it was released the public starting taking the tips and the Mouse took notice and started cracking down on this particular practice. At the end of the day if you want to try it than feel free to park at these spots at your own risk!

FYI - If you had visited a park earlier that day you're welcome to use the parking pass at the other parks as long as it is used on the same day.

Upvote 0

Wishes 1971

FYI - If you had visited a park earlier that day you're welcome to use the parking pass at the other parks as long as it is used on the same day.[/QUOTE]

I was going to saw the same thing....you can probably get decent parking at EPCOT midday/evening...and you've already paid to park....

That doesn't help with entering EPCOT from the opposite end of where you were planning, but you won't be out anymore for the parking!

Upvote 0

PARichards

Original Poster
FYI - If you had visited a park earlier that day you're welcome to use the parking pass at the other parks as long as it is used on the same day.

Um... if we are staying at a Disney resort we need to pay for parking at the parks daily? I'm so confused now!

I am sure those paying top $$$ to stay at these resorts appreciate this advice. Although true, it is the equivalent of some low-life parasite earning a lot of income under the table, not paying taxes and accepting food stamps. I hope Disney picks up on this abuse and starts tagging the cars somehow and then put a tire lock on them after a couple of hours. All this BS that "everyone is doing it" is just that, BS.

I did not intend to start a debate thread, just seeking a little advice. I was under the impression that the Boardwalk and IG are open to non(Epcot)resort guests. Again, I was just wanting a couple of hours for dinner in the WS, as we won't have any other opportunity to check it out, and was looking for a possible way to make it happen, what with the whole schlepping of 4 kids around ;)

Thanks to everyone else for the advice- I'm sure that after stressing about it, the time will come and the kids/DH will be too tired to press on and we'll end up back at our resort instead :cat: Sounds like we might take our chances with parking at the Boardwalk. Knowing my kids, they'll be begging to eat something as we walk thru there and we'll skip the park entirely.

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

Um... if we are staying at a Disney resort we need to pay for parking at the parks daily? I'm so confused now!

I did not intend to start a debate thread, just seeking a little advice. I was under the impression that the Boardwalk and IG are open to nonresort guests.
Again, I was just wanting a couple of hours for dinner in the WS, as we won't have any other opportunity to check it out, and was looking for a possible way to make it happen.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice- I'm sure that after stressing about it, the time will come and the kids/DH will be too tired to press on and we'll end up back at our resort instead :cat: Sounds like we might take our chances with parking at the Boardwalk. Knowing my kids, they'll be begging to eat something as we walk thru there and we'll skip the park entirely.

1) Yes you do have to pay for parking at the parks if you choose to take your own vehicle, otherwise as a guest of the resort you have free forms of transportation available to take you to the parks. ~edit~ I take this back if you are a guest of a Disney owned resort you do park for free at the parks!

2) The International Gateway is only available to resort guests staying at one of the Crescent Lake Resorts and guests traveling between Epcot and the Hollywood Studios.

3) If you are going to visit or dine at the Boardwalk and/or the surrounding Crescent Lake resorts you are allowed to park in the specific guest lot for the Boardwalk as well as the guest lots found at the other resorts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom