Parking Lot Lighting - Orangery than normal.

Thelazer

Original Poster
So driving past MK parking lot today and noticed that it seems like the parking lot lights are more "orange" in color temperature than they used to be over the years. Perhaps it's cause we see more and more LED based street lights around property and that just makes the MK lights stand out more.. or perhaps they replaced the bulbs with a newer version that just has a different color temp?

Thoughts anyone else?

Rosanne

I am surprised at how dark it is in certain areas of Animal Kingdom & MK at night. I wonder if they have cut back on the lighting? With many small kids around you would think it would be lit up like a football field at night.

Victor Kelly

That light is actually bettet for your night vision than the daylight balanced LED lighting. They tried using those ultra bright LED lights here in Maryland and wound up toning them down due to increased accidents at night.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was walking back to my car in the MK parking lot last night and noticed that all of the lighting in that lot has been updated including all new light poles and power infrastructure. That likely explains the color temperature difference the OP is seeing.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So driving past MK parking lot today and noticed that it seems like the parking lot lights are more "orange" in color temperature than they used to be over the years. Perhaps it's cause we see more and more LED based street lights around property and that just makes the MK lights stand out more.. or perhaps they replaced the bulbs with a newer version that just has a different color temp?

Thoughts anyone else?
If it was cloudy or rainy the light pollution is reflected back and very noticeable. With all the money spent at WDW they could certainly spend money on some filters or LEd lighting to eliminate the glare.

Victor Kelly

I'll be honest. When we started coming down 40 years or more ago I didn't even notice.
Not dead yet though. I live off of 4 about 30 minutes west of Disney and there's still a lot of orange groves around here.
Right around Lakeland? On my 2005 visit I went east on 192, a bunch of orange groves there, many look like they had seen better days. There used to be groves juat outside orlando then once you hitee rd heading north to Altemont Springs they were as far as the eye could see.

stratman50th

Right around Lakeland? On my 2005 visit I went east on 192, a bunch of orange groves there, many look like they had seen better days. There used to be groves juat outside orlando then once you hitee rd heading north to Altemont Springs they were as far as the eye could see.
Yes, we're in Polk City. Groves around here and all around the north Lakeland area.

stratman50th

I am still contemplating a move to Florida but real estate prices are going through the roof. Have looked at Polk and Osceola mainly.

Better look at more than just land prices. Pay particular attention to homeowner and car insurance rates...
Car insurance is high for sure. Homeowner is a lot lower than it was in Maryland. There is no state income tax but they get you elsewhere. I think like anything else, everything is relative. Our decision to move was based on several things. We purchased our motorcoach to be able to travel in comfort, our condo with wheels. Much of my family lives, and was from Florida so visiting here amounted to more than just knowledge based on a vacation or two. It really isn't for everyone. We wanted a protected place to keep our coach when we weren't using it, it's a big investment to be allowed to sit out in the weather up north or in the Florida sun. We aren't retired yet so my wife and I both have to work. I work remotely and she commutes 20 minutes away, but it allowed us to relocate painlessly and keep our DC salaries. We ended up buying/building a home in a Class A motorcoach community. I was able to design a house that would work for us and have an attached garage for our coach. The fact that it was only 30 minutes from Disney had absolutely no bearing on the decision. In fact, if I had my choice I would move far away from Thunder Road. Best of all, no more cold and snow. Done with that white crap! We aren't snowbirds. We live here full time and are very happy with our decision. Sorry this was so long, but when people say they want to move I just encourage them to think it through and base their decision on careful research. Again, we are very happy with our decision.
EDIT: One more very important point to anyone thinking about relocating. Make sure you already have a job lined up before you move. Just talking to people who decided to pick up and move to Florida it was very difficult to find a job (outside of the service industry). We know of a woman in her 30's who worked for a very well known law firm in the DC area. She wanted to move to Tampa. She relocated and wasn't able to find a job for months. She couldn't even get a receptionist job because she was overqualified. She eventually found something but at far lower pay than what she was making and is qualified for.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom