Parking got worse (2/8)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I'm not really sure where to start with this .... The abysmal disaster that is become parking at downtown Disney has gotten worse.

Approximately one half of the parking lot behind Cirque du Soleil is now fenced off.

It looks like this is for the second parking garage but I'm not 100% on it.

To alleviate or attempt to do something about this giant clusterF, shuttle buses are being run from the team Disney parking lot.

People are playing frogger instead of taking the shuttles, this will be an issue at some point.

I'm not really sure where to start with this .... The abysmal disaster that is become parking at downtown Disney has gotten worse.

Approximately one half of the parking lot behind Cirque du Soleil is now fenced off.

To alleviate or attempt to do something about this giant clusterF, shuttle buses are being run from the team Disney parking lot.

People are playing frogger instead of taking the shuttles, this will be an issue at some point.

Okay, wasn't the whole idea of "Epcot" or "Progress City" to remove pedestrians from traffic? I know DTD/Disney Springs has nothing to do with Walt's ideas for Epcot, but there are certain things that should be taken into consideration, like parents with strollers running across 6 lanes of traffic... I am not saying don't do the construction, just have a better plan.... I may be wrong, but didn't some of the construction trailers for the GF DVC go in the STOLPort? Why can't some of the construction materials go across the street instead of the Guests being across the street? Obviously the parking garage has to close the parking lot, but build one at a time (I know this takes longer, but it would be safer for the guests to have more parking lot on the correct side of the road). Just a thought...

Okay, wasn't the whole idea of "Epcot" or "Progress City" to remove pedestrians from traffic? I know DTD/Disney Springs has nothing to do with Walt's ideas for Epcot, but there are certain things that should be taken into consideration, like parents with strollers running across 6 lanes of traffic... I am not saying don't do the construction, just have a better plan.... I may be wrong, but didn't some of the construction trailers for the GF DVC go in the STOLPort? Why can't some of the construction materials go across the street instead of the Guests being across the street? Obviously the parking garage has to close the parking lot, but build one at a time (I know this takes longer, but it would be safer for the guests to have more parking lot on the correct side of the road). Just a thought...

When I've been by DTD there have been officers or security directing traffic at crosswalks. I can't imagine that someone with children wouldn't use a crosswalk.

maxairmike

Half of that back lot has been closed off for the better part of two weeks now, which is a big reason I haven't gone over there at all in that time. They need to get moving on the garage they're currently building and have it open before they even think about starting on the second. Why they put half of the back lot behind a fence I don't know, but it was a horrible decision.

When I've been by DTD there have been officers or security directing traffic at crosswalks. I can't imagine that someone with children wouldn't use a crosswalk.

I would hope not... But the possibility is there, the OP mentioned Frogger... My mind went to a situation locally for me where a woman with a stroller crossed in front of me (Across 4 lanes) at night & I had to stop quickly going 45 when they were 100 feet from a crosswalk (she made it safe)... This isn't the norm, especially at Disney, but it came to mind...

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Have you tried going to DTD in the past month or so? The parking situation was already a massive mess to begin with, and they just took out an additional 200 (approx.) spots.

Things like that happen in a construction zone that includes changing the parking situation. Not sure why you are surprised.

maxairmike

Things like that happen in a construction zone that includes changing the parking situation. Not sure why you are surprised.

I'm not surprised with reasonable limitations/problems, I've dealt with plenty of construction-riddled areas. The previous lot closures were known, this one was sudden and unannounced, with no apparent reason. There's been no hint of work in the West Side besides the Starbucks location (which has been just the empty shell of the old building for about two months now anyway), and a single Starbucks store shouldn't require that much prep space.

If this leads to a much quicker pace of construction, I'll gladly eat my words since the garage will relieve all the parking pressure. However, I highly doubt that.

roj2323

If this leads to a much quicker pace of construction, I'll gladly eat my words since the garage will relieve all the parking pressure. However, I highly doubt that.

This space could be for material storage. When you construct larger projects such as the parking garage it is not unheard of to make concrete on site especially when they may be planning to pour large segments of the decks all at once. The lot would be filled with gravel, sand and trucks of cement along with a portable mixing plant. Additionally they may need the area temporarily to store the reenforcement rebar for the decks.

I'll stop by DD tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on. Naturally i'll take my camera as well.

haha, no matter what they do, nothing will ever be good enough, will it?

I am very happy they are doing something, it just appears that guest safety is being put somewhat at risk. Even something as simple as a digital marquee with the message "Ped Xing next X intersections" or "WATCH FOR PEDS".... And maybe they have done something like this by now, but I did not see anything like it a few weeks ago and they were using some of the parking across the street. More security/officers helping at crosswalks helps too, they were present two visits ago but not my most recent visit to DTD. For the most part guest safety is being taken care of, if guests are smart and use shuttles/crosswalks, but sometimes people aren't always so smart. I apologize if this comes off as complaining, I am a little concerned about an incident happening...

roj2323

I
I am very happy they are doing something, it just appears that guest safety is being put somewhat at risk. Even something as simple as a digital marquee with the message "Ped Xing next X intersections" or "WATCH FOR PEDS".... And maybe they have done something like this by now, but I did not see anything like it a few weeks ago and they were using some of the parking across the street. More security/officers helping at crosswalks helps too, they were present two visits ago but not my most recent visit to DTD. For the most part guest safety is being taken care of, if guests are smart and use shuttles/crosswalks, but sometimes people aren't always so smart. I apologize if this comes off as complaining, I am a little concerned about an incident happening...

It seems to me that people forget that there is an entire parking lot that most people do not see. North of cirque is an enormous lot. https://www.google.com/maps/@28.3720407,-81.5238699,595m/data=!3m1!1e3

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The area you saw closed off is probably for materials, I have highlighted where the second garage is going. It hasn't been started yet.

DTD.jpg

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The area you saw closed off is probably for materials, I have highlighted where the second garage is going. It hasn't been started yet.

View attachment 45893

Negative sir, that's not the area fenced off.

See the lot just north of Cirque? Cut it in half.

So when did they decide to put the 2nd garage there As opposed to behind cirque?

Either way, half of the lot behind cirque is fenced off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom