Parking at the MK to Visit the Resorts?

DisneyFanatic12

Apparently during Covid you had to have a park reservation to park in the lot.
I never did find out if that was a “rule” or if they just didn’t want guests getting to the front gates without a reservation. I’d often tell them I wanted to go to the Polynesian, or hop on the Skyliner (at HS) and they’d say something along the lines of “OMG! Have fun!”

Does anyone know if that ever was an official rule?

TrainsOfDisney

Really late response, but when they’re parking the left side, they have a CM to help you cross the tram lane (for those who want to walk). If you tell them that you want to go to the Polynesian, they’ll give you directions to use the “cast member” bridge. So you’re right, normal guests can and are often encouraged to use that walkway.
Nice! Yeah I never saw any indication that guests couldn’t use the Bridge, but I wasn’t 100% sure.

Goofyernmost

There is a walkway - and they practically touch either. The issue is a bus from Coronado Springs would require a bus to MK - travel through security, then wait for monorail or boat to Polynesian. And reverse to get back. Depending on where the bus stop is, it can be as much as .3 miles to the monorail / boat launch.

If all you want to do is visit Polynesian - you would save time parking at TTC for sure.
Agreed, I forgot that the buses go direct to MK and not to TTC. Anyway, that just means that there should be absolutely no problem with parking (free for onsite) and walk from TTC to the Poly. Much easier and time saving. I guess that is what I get for always driving to the parks unless it's Epcot and then I will "hop" between MK and Epcot and park wherever I plan to be at the end of the day.

MickeyLuv'r

I never did find out if that was a “rule” or if they just didn’t want guests getting to the front gates without a reservation. I’d often tell them I wanted to go to the Polynesian, or hop on the Skyliner (at HS) and they’d say something along the lines of “OMG! Have fun!”

Does anyone know if that ever was an official rule?
Not sure, but Disney is strict at the Contemporary. People would mobile order food at Contempo Cafe, or just claim they had, then get dropped off at CR as a way to bypass the slow security at the TTC. The smaller one on the walkway between CR/MK, and the one inside CR for the monorail were far less crowded in the morning.

WDW still restricts mobile ordering at the monorail QS places, or at least MDE has that wording. YUP, just checked, attempting to mobile order from Contempo, triggers a pop-up warning that MB is only available to guests of CR and BLT. I don't know if the other QS had/have the same warning or the same problem.

TrainsOfDisney

I was wondering why that pop up existed at contemporary!

Of course that doesn’t mean guests can’t visit, it’s just to keep guests from using that as an excuse to park.

allgiggles

Nope. Mobile ordering from Capt Cook's and Gasp Grill does not trigger a pop-up like Contempo Cafe does.

Glad to hear that Gasp Grill no longer has that pop-up. We wanted to eat there in June 2022 and couldn't because we weren't a guest at that resort. It was at 7:30 p.m. and there were literally 4 people in the restaurant taking up one table. Then we went over to Contempo Cafe and had the same problem (again, despite the restaurant being less than 50% full). There were no CMs taking in-person orders that we could see. But we had no issues at Capt Cooks earlier in the day.

ETA: I just pulled up mobile ordering for all 3 of those restaurants and still got the pop up for Gasp Grill and Contempo Cafe. :( But not for Capt Cooks.

MagicRat

Glad to hear that Gasp Grill no longer has that pop-up. We wanted to eat there in June 2022 and couldn't because we weren't a guest at that resort. It was at 7:30 p.m. and there were literally 4 people in the restaurant taking up one table. Then we went over to Contempo Cafe and had the same problem (again, despite the restaurant being less than 50% full). There were no CMs taking in-person orders that we could see. But we had no issues at Capt Cooks earlier in the day.

ETA: I just pulled up mobile ordering for all 3 of those restaurants and still got the pop up for Gasp Grill and Contempo Cafe. :( But not for Capt Cooks.
The popup statement is meaningless. I asked Steakhouse 71 a year ago while we were staying at Polynesian. He said it’s to deter the people that has been previously described but there is no real block.

We just left Polynesian this week and ordered from the cafe with the same popup and no issues.

buckeyegator

why not go to disney springs and take the bus back, go to any on the monorail loop resorts gets you 3 resorts. or go back to pop or aoa, take the skyliner to epcot, then walk to all the boardwalk resorts.

allgiggles

The popup statement is meaningless. I asked Steakhouse 71 a year ago while we were staying at Polynesian. He said it’s to deter the people that has been previously described but there is no real block.

We just left Polynesian this week and ordered from the cafe with the same popup and no issues.

So I can just close out the pop-up and still order -- I see that seems to work now (I didn't go through the whole process since I'm not currently at Disney World). When we were there last time, even if we closed out the pop-up, everything on the menu stayed gray and we couldn't order anything. It was so frustrating. I could understand if the restaurant was packed, but in both of our cases, there was plenty of open space. Thanks for the update.

TrainsOfDisney

why not go to disney springs and take the bus back, go to any on the monorail loop resorts gets you 3 resorts. or go back to pop or aoa, take the skyliner to epcot, then walk to all the boardwalk resorts.
If you are staying at Disney Resort - parking is free so you are just going out of your way going to the Springs unless you want to visit the Springs as well.

buckeyegator

If you are staying at Disney Resort - parking is free so you are just going out of your way going to the Springs unless you want to visit the Springs as well.
my point is you cannot just visit a resort by car,going to the spings lets you get on a bus to say the contemporary, then you have monorail to 3 resorts. going to say pop allows skyliner access to epcot, the just a short walk to 4 or 5 more, finally return to the springs to pick up your car.

MagicRat

So I can just close out the pop-up and still order -- I see that seems to work now (I didn't go through the whole process since I'm not currently at Disney World). When we were there last time, even if we closed out the pop-up, everything on the menu stayed gray and we couldn't order anything. It was so frustrating. I could understand if the restaurant was packed, but in both of our cases, there was plenty of open space. Thanks for the update.
It has worked that way for us since January of 2023. We missed a few years because of Covid but have since been back April 23, July 23, October 23 and just returned a week ago. Ignore the popup and order.

When I talked to Steakhouse 71 in January of 2023, I told him that WDW is really pushing monitoring as well as they always wanted guests on property to spend money at other resorts. How would not allowing other resort guests to mobil order make sense. He said it is only to discourage the element who are using the resorts as meeting places without actually staying on property or those trying to park.

From watching on the past couple of trips these type of groups do use this as meeting spaces. There was some local meetup (mostly over 40 year olds not kids) who met at the Contempo Cafe to do some type of trivia game and they all brought paper gift bags that looked just like the mobil order bags. Most didn’t buy a thing and there were plenty of people looking for tables.

wdwfan22

Yes parking is free but you may not park at any resort you are not staying at without a confirmed dining reservation.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes parking is free but you may not park at any resort you are not staying at without a confirmed dining reservation.
Hence the question about parking at the TTC and walking over to Polynesian.

And you can often park at other resorts as long as they aren’t a MK or Epcot resort. We love visiting Port Orleans to see yeehaw Bob on the piano even when we stay elsewhere (although port orleans is becoming home! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom